1998 v6, no fan and now a/c

9838stang

Reaction score
I know the car is parked for the winter but i pull the car out of the garage to let her warm up. I have noticed when the car had gotten to Operating temps, the car's fan didnt turn on, Neither does the A/C. I have replaced the CCRM from two other cars. The first one i replaced had a bad fuel pump relay. the 2nd ccrm acted like the original(no a/c or fan). At this time of the year i know the car shouldnt have cooling issues. but i am just getting to it before the temps get to high.

Anyways i have checked all of the fuses under the hood all check out fine. I even looked up which fuse controls the fan i grabbed another 30amp fuse and no change. I have not checked the fuses in the engine bay. Not sure what else to do.

PonyGlued

Reaction score
personally I would wait for better weather and then take her for a spin around the block. The fan only kicks in at 221 degrees, and its possible that temp was not achieved

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
You could be low on freon and that's why the A/c compressor isn't coming on. You could unplug the compressor and verify voltage with a meter or test light.
BTW the A/C comp also comes on when the defroster is on.
The hi speed fan is what comes on with the a/c and unless you know exactly what the water temp is it's hard to tell whether the low speed is supposed to come on or not.
I'm not sure about the OBD2 cars but when I pull codes on my OBD1, part of the test sequence is both fans come on at the beginning of the test.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to mention that it wouldn't come on when I turned it to either defrost or ac hi or low the compressor wouldn't turn on. Also the. The fan should turn on either way. When the system was charged with freon last may or June the fan would come on either way even if the a/c system was low....

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
I happened to get the ac compressor running. While doing an oil changed and plug and wire change today, i figured i would try throwing the CCRM that was in it last year to see if the ac compressor came back on. and it did. must have been to cold out for it to work. also the car was low on freon too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online