1998 vert low spongy brakes

Discussion in '94-04 - V6 Specific' started by carbuff, May 27, 2016.

1. carbuff

carbuff Member

So, its summer again and the 98 vert is back on the road. And of course Im becoming reacquainted with all the little annoyances that come with it. First thing I notice is the brakes. Last summer I replaced a bunch of stuff to try and fix the issue. The main problem is that the pedal is low and spongy. If Im stopping and pump it a couple of times quickly I end up with a much higher firmer pedal. Before you say anything, yes they have been bled to death. Each wheel was bled to get all the old greenish fluid out of the system completely. It took a while and I ended up with quite a bit of old dirty fluid in a container. I replaced the rear caliper brackets when I Unfroze the rear caliper sliders last year too. Its all freely moving now. 2 more symptoms to go by. When I do pump it a bit to get the firmer pedal it does pull to the one side a bit. Also the e-brake hardly works. Its better since fixing the frozen rear sliders but still doesnt offer too much resistance. If Im going down the road and pull the handle hard it does not slow me down hardly. I would think being rear disks it should almost lock up the rear brakes. So, what do you guys think is causing the low pedal that can be pumped to get higher? No leaks either.

2. lutter94

lutter94 Well-Known Member

Bad master cylinder perhaps?

3. carbuff

carbuff Member

I was thinking that too. The car did just hit 240k miles with what looks like the original master. Maybe Ill just replace it if I can find one cheap enough.

4. lutter94

lutter94 Well-Known Member

LMR has one for $66 - the 6% forum discount
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2140K/1996-98-Mustang-Gt-Brake-Master-Cylinder

RockAuto has the Centric 13061077 listed for $43 - 5% Discount + Shipping. Their Dorman unit is back at that $65 price point. Let me know if you need coupon codes.