1998CobraSVT's Bright Atlantic Blue Coupe

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
1998CobraSvt’s Bright Atlantic Blue Coupe

1 of 553

WP952015060995149517951795Pro_zpscsjqkzjb.jpg

IMG_20150808_122350567_HDR_zpsa3y7uilj.jpg

desc%20sheet%20cobra%203.14.16_zpspz9zjqmq.png

This is quite a long intro post as i have to catch everyone up to speed, going back to 2013. Will be posting more photos when time allows.

2013-2015

Spring 2013-Fall 2013

Bought this cobra in the fall of 2013, but this is not my first mustang. The search began around Spring 2013. I was searching for something between 94-04. The plan was to find something clean that I could build over time to put down some power and bring to track events. Something unique. I browsed the internet searching for a long time, test drove a few but no luck.

Nothing pops up worth looking into the rest of the summer until finally to my amazement i find an ad for my favorite mustang of all time a very clean/”rare” 98 Bright Atlantic Blue Cobra a couple of hours from home. 1/553. Something I could not pass up seeing. It is advertised as “amazing all around.” 75,xxx miles on the ad. Price was fair and one of my favorite paint colors on an sn95. The guy was very short-answered on the phone as his English sucked but I decided it couldn’t hurt taking a look at. I could tell at least from several photos that it was clean. Hopped in the truck and trailer and drove a few hours out of state to check it out.

Waiting in this quite town applebees parking lot for the guy for 25+ mins and finally I hear it pull up. (I guess I can drive hours to see this guys car AND be on time but hes too cool to be on time 5 minutes from his house lol whatever.) Sounds nice, paint and body is just as nice as the photos, car is very clean minus his little touches but I can in-vision how I would have it if it were mine. My first glance around I notice the driver side wheel is pushed back towards the wheel well badly. Will go over this in a minute. (Still see its potential if the price is right.) We test drive it and it certainly was not as described. The guy was bulls***ing out his @**. (Will go into detail on this also in a minute. Major tlc was needed) The guy was never willing to admit the car was in a minor front end accident to his knowledge but it was quite obvious. (The driver front wheel was rubbing on the wheel well when turned left.) He did however admit the car needed a lot of work and we were able to figure out a price that worked for us both. The damage was not major as far as accidents go, All damage seemed to be located in the driver side front end and fixable.

After Pointing out the work needed to restore it, verifying the title was clear and also verifying the vin as being a cobra and the paint code as being K7 (Bright Atlantic Blue), + Clean Car Fax, we came to an agreement. He reduced the price, I payed a fair price for the hurt cobra and then set-off back home. Along with a set of 17” chrome cobra R’s. (Replicas?)

2013-09-28%2012.04.00_zpsfwvng50q.jpg

Now lets go over how horrible this guy treated this car. Lets start with his taste… to began...He had a cobra hood ornament in-between the nostrils. :deeplist:
(Pic)

2013-09-28%2011.23.41_zpsucwp0xdp.jpg

---

2013-09-28%2011.31.08_zpsw9t1v6gu.jpg

The shift knob was a cheap plastic cobra head. (What a horrible shift knob for function!) (will get pic up when I can)
A “ghetto snake sticker” on the driver side rear window (Gone)

Cheap pealing “clear” tints (gone)

On the interior headliner he had two more stickers…above the rear view mirror on the headliner…one of some pinup graffiti-chick and another of Jesus. Of course I can’t/will not tare-down the Jesus-sticker, he can stay there. But 90’s pinup graffiti chicks gotta go.

Has the mach 460 Speakers…..attached to subs and an aftermarket radio. And I use the words “attached” loosely. The whole thing was wired like s***. When I tested the radio only one speaker worked no subs and if you hit a pothole right the passenger speaker came on. LOL. Had to be rewired. Don’t worry its done already. speakers are good but the Whole sub system is from the 90’s and shot. Plans to remove eventually.

The stage 2 clutch was stiff

The steering wheel had tremendous play

Dyno results showed the way previous owner had it sitting at only approx. 230rw!!! On a junk tune

Cheap shorty headers to a cheap x pipe.

Cheap Lowering springs so low the car was not streetable.

The wing was flopping around held in by one screw.

The headlights were faded and loose in placement.

The interior door clips broke so both panels were flopping everywhere

Chapter 2:

Car is stored for the winter. Winter was rough. No time to focus on the car. Spring 2014 comes and Its time to get the car over to Wicked Motorsports for a full overhaul at Kevin’s shop. If you don’t know Kevin he is a stand-up guy, his knowledge on our cars, hell on all brands and years is insurmountable. One of the nicest guys you will ever meet. We knew the car was hit on the driver side, the question was will the k-member fix the problem? The tire was not touching the wheel well when straight however when turned to the left it DID rub the wheel well. Thankfully, after hours and hours of measurements it was confirmed that the k-member swap would solve the problem.

FULL INSPECTION:

The only three good things that were benefiting the car was the 4.10 gears, the mgw short shifter and the stage 2 clutch on a bad t/o bearing. Pretty much everything else had to go.
As for the the Xenon side skirts and rear bumper, We did not mess with it to see condition underneath, no time to worry about condition underneath this season. (I looked them up and they are averaging about $800-$1000 plus paint-costs for the kit) What do you think? Leave them on or take them off?

IMRCS clogged, Cross over bar rusted shut.

Oil pan was dented from his crash, when the pan was replaced you could see in the old pan how he once had a Supercharger setup. (My theory is he supercharged it and drove it around built just as I described above and crashed. He removed the supercharger and sold it at a reasonable price knowing the work it would need..if not the owner before him in the 90’s had one but I doubt that.)
Did compression test, motor is still strong.
Replace motor mounts

Time rolls on, after hours of measurements and finally getting the green light to began.. the k-member fixes the wheel issue. :thumbsup: was planning on doing a k-member regardless of this matter. Things are looking good, LTs are in with k-member.
(Before and after shots of the front wheel.)

Before:

2013-10-10%2011.52.46_zpsakij0opw.jpg

After:

33b8c6c2-211e-45cb-adbd-678ca3006c4d_zpss6uuwrgw.jpg

Car is worked on when time allows. On/off. Summer comes and goes… winter 2015 pops up out of no-where. We decide its best to leave at the shop and finish the rest in-between winter and spring.

Winter-spring 2015:

Smoothing out the edges:

As mentioned before, the previous owner had installed this custom trunk setup with subs and wired it horribly. The subs wiring had to be gutted for the rear coilovers and rewired. The 1 ¾ Headers to 3” catless x-pipe had trouble fitting. It was right in the way of the trans mount.. Kevin did his magic. Rather than refabing the whole exhaust to fit he decided to fab the trans-mount into a 99-04 which allows the clearance! Sick!!

Parts list for this year:
American Racing Headers 1 3/4 Primary Long Tube Header 3"Collector With Catless 3" X-Pipe

Ford Motorcraft 99-04 Transmission Mount

Ford Motorcraft Primary 02 Sensor

Ford Motorcraft Secondary 02 Sensor

Ford Motorcraft Oil Pan Gasket

Ford Racing 03-04 Cobra 4v Oil Pan

Ford Motorcraft Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Ford Motorcraft HD Motor Mounts (LH & RH)

JLT True Cold Air Intake Kit (Bright Atlantic Blue)
Ford Motorcraft Coolant Tube O-Rings

Oil Filter

UPR Chrome-Moly K-Member Kit With Coil Overs & VikingSprings

UPR Steel 4-Bolt HD Caster Camber Plates

Steeda Underdrive Pulley Kit (Crank, Waterpump, Alt)

Steering Rack (Rack & Pinion)

Tie Rod Ends

Koni "ORANGE" Sport Strut & Shock Kit

UPR Rear Coil Over Kit With Viking Springs

UPR Pistol Grip Shifter Handle

UPR Clutch Quadrant & Click-Type Firwall Adjuster

NGK TR6 V-Power Spark Plugs

Brake Kleen (60 oz)

Ford Motorcraft Clutch Cable

Cross over bar is cleaned prepped and painted black.

Everything was falling into place for this season.

Late Spring 2015:

Car is dynoed and tuned. Misfire on dyno, Small oil leak in plug boot of cyl 3. Valve cover pulled, sealed, new plugs. Wait and test. Car is good to go. Final numbers are 289RWHP 284 TQ.

Replace headlights and interior door panel inserts.

WP_20150609_12_18_31_Pro_zpsjoszqi0n.jpg

Remove plastic cobra shift knob and replace with pistol grip. Remove clear tints. and stickers
Ready For the season! A BIG thanks to Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports, this project would have been one hell of a nightmare without you!

To all wondering "whats next?" The build has only just begun! Much to come!!

Here are some shots of the car done and ready for this season.

WP952015061295179555955695Pro1_zpslwokb56d.jpg

WP952015061295179557955495Pro_zpsvtci4103.jpg

WP952015061295179557954095Pro_zpshyqa9h3e.jpg

WP952015061295179555954595Pro_zpsbzgcb3jn.jpg

WP952015060995149517951795Pro_zpscsjqkzjb.jpg

WP952015061295179555953395Pro_zpsh6w14qjc.jpg

WP952015060995149516955195Pro_zpsxqeibcar.jpg

WP952015061295179554953195Pro_zpswh8zg3vc.jpg

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Paint the wing, and lose the skirts and rear valence.

And needs a tad more low.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Paint the wing, and lose the skirts and rear valence.

And needs a tad more low.

Cleaner fitment is on the list. Bigger tires is needed. We did not have time to even consider condition under skirts and valence, Not even sure if i will be removing them.in the future I will be adding bigger tires and spacers to help balance everything out.

Not a top priority at the moment. Just glad to have it ready to use and enjoy for the season.

I have seen much-worse body-kit setups on an sn95 before. Thankfully the xenon kit is one of the better of them.

WP952015061295179557954095Pro_zpshyqa9h3e.jpg

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Big improvement so far. I'm amazed that some people don't under the "less is more" idea.
BTW ck out the BlueMustangregistry.com and on FB too.

1bad95

Reaction score
Looks great man! I do love some bab! I plan on possibly doing the same with my trans mount, I also have arh longtubes for a 99-04 car and it just touches the cross member at times, even with the stifflers mount

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Of the 4 users that posted in here, all 4 have blue cars.

lol

:laughing5:

NO OTHER COLORS!?
"Where dey at doe" :hmmm2:

[video=youtube;nEJpp6GxW2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEJpp6GxW2o[/video]

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Looks great man! I do love some bab! I plan on possibly doing the same with my trans mount, I also have arh longtubes for a 99-04 car and it just touches the cross member at times, even with the stifflers mount

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Bab has to be one of my favorite ford colors.

Definitely worth it! Not only for performance. Im in love with the exhaust note :tongue3:.

BTW your car looks very nice&clean as well.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the R's that came with the car are real or reps?

2013-09-28%2012.04.00_zpsfwvng50q.jpg

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Looking forward to following this one.
Personally I actually like the rear bumper, but not the side-skirts.

Great progress and keep up the good work.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Looking forward to following this one.
Personally I actually like the rear bumper, but not the side-skirts.

Great progress and keep up the good work.

Thanks man, appreciate it :thumbsup:. I personally do not mind the way the xenon kit makes it look at the moment, I'm just glad its ready for the summer!

Id love to hear everyone's take on the sideskirts and rear. Dont worry on your comment be it positive or negative i did not even put them on nor pay a cent for them lol.

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
:laughing5:

NO OTHER COLORS!?
"Where dey at doe" :hmmm2:

[video=youtube;nEJpp6GxW2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEJpp6GxW2o[/video]

10 brownie points for posting one of my favorite internet videos, lol

Does anyone know if the R's that came with the car are real or reps?

Check the stamping on the back of the wheels.

Id love to hear everyone's take on the sideskirts and rear. Dont worry on your comment be it positive or negative i did not even put them on nor pay a cent for them lol.

See my post...a few posts above.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
BAB with a black interior for the win! Best mustang color ever. Not a fan of the body kit or rear spoiler but what a great start.

chris91

Reaction score
I'd ditch the sides and rear. Doesn't really flow to well with the front bumper.

Nice car though! Definitely keep the spoiler, don't see the Steeda wing too often.

Vegasfilter

Reaction score
nice ride man....crazy the power you can get back out of a car with just a little TLC. Great work cleaning her up...I am seriously considering finishing my 98 GT, painting and trying to turn for a profit and finding a cobra. Me and the wife already spoke about it and she is onboard.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
nice ride man....crazy the power you can get back out of a car with just a little TLC. Great work cleaning her up...I am seriously considering finishing my 98 GT, painting and trying to turn for a profit and finding a cobra. Me and the wife already spoke about it and she is onboard.

Thanks [MENTION=20859]Vegasfilter[/MENTION]. Good luck on your search,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010