1999 New Edge computer and components conversion to 98 GT, is this possible if so need advice

Change or don't change the electronics of the car

• Leave it be

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoeR40065

Reaction score
So over the weekend I bought a new edge Mustang it's a 1999 GTI did not think the damage was extensive is what it is I have hints removed the fender and the strut Tower brace for the driver side is in 4 in and it's pushed up and backwards towards the vehicle or the back of it so now I want to strip it and use parts off of it for my '98 any advice would help because the car is loaded full of great parts had an original Hurst short throw shifter it has a T45 that was completely overhauled to get rid of the 5th reverse shift fork and upgrade it tag custom gears done to it for first second and third I was told and I have a receipt somewhere for that work I love the power seat for the driver so of course I'm going to take that change all the interior but here's the list of things I would like to take off of it and put on my 98

Coil on plug conversion there's a lot of videos but I have no true definitive answer as if I want to get the performance from this do I need to run the 99 computer and dash I do have a tuner that I could tune out anything that wouldn't be compatible like traction control or no? What all do I need to pull off the car before I junk it

So not really but I think it's really funny that I went to reverse put of the driveway that same night and it kicked out and now won't shift into anything so I think I lost the transmission for my '98 the same day am forced to do the swap but read that the speedometer pickup is different it's electronic ???

gLow or indiglo gauges - they change brightness from blue or green in the intensity level in them as well as they are white-faced and they look really good what all will I need to take away from the car to make it work in my 98???

Rear end is it the same spline count ?

The list of mods for my '98 is the reason that I want to do this
Bbk long tube headers , cat delete , bbk h Pipe, 3 inch inch exhaust
flowmaster 10s side exiting also have MHS blower cams c&c ported pi heads with the pi intake c&l plenum , 75 mm tb bbk , matched flow 42 lb injectors, 255 lph walbro, sct x4, all in prep for forced air , some may laugh but given the history of the powerdyne blowers I wouldn't have bought this but was literally was given a powerdyne supercharger bd11 that has ceramic bearings and improved impeller along with 3.27 gears for now new edge has 3.73,

I truly want to run the power control module or the what I know as is the computer for the 99 because of the massive differences in things that I can tune and adjust and I think that it would accept the supercharger that I'm doing a lot better than the 98 computer

I mean they're sitting in my driveway so while I have it here any help would be great any suggestions are much appreciated thank you in advance if anybody's done anything like this how did it work are you happy with what you've done and if you had to do it all over again would you still do it

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ok, so if you want the 99+ electronics, plain and simple, you have to swap EVERYTHING. You will need all of the wiring harnesses out of the 99, you’ll need the steering column, dash, modules, everything from inside. Then you will have to figure out what you want to do with the fuel system. 98 is return, 99 is return less. Do some reading on what is required to swap a return system into the 99 car and that’ll tell you what you have to do to keep it. You’ll probably want to swap rear ends because of the abs tone wheels, and the front spindles would need to swap for the same reason. Then you will need to swap over the abs module, you may have to swap over the brake lines to go with the modules.

This will gain you all of the creature comforts that came with the newer car.

DO NOT take shortcuts here. If you really want to do it, do it right. You’re going to make your car a 99 with only a 98 body on it.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
And since all the electronics will have been swapped over, your transmission from the 99 will go right in and will work with the speedometer.

OP
OP
J

JoeR40065

Reaction score
And since all the electronics will have been swapped over, your transmission from the 99 will go right in and will work with the speedometer.
Thank you I was unaware of the steering column and I will post pictures once the work commences

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yeah, you’ll want to do that to keep the key paired with the ecu and the correct airbag electronics in there.

OP
OP
J

JoeR40065

Reaction score
Yeah, you’ll want to do that to keep the key paired with the ecu and the correct airbag electronics in there.
didn't want to have to take the whole engine harness apart wanted to only use the
COP WIRING , ECU (Thinking it would do away with waste spark is number 1 also amount of changes I can make in tune #2) then dash wiring would be next hurdle. That was thought process during this but if I have to take whole harness ok.... Just wondering is the benefit going to outweigh the amount of work I mean I've been a pretty patient person with this car so far almost cost me my fiance and the look she just gave me it just might God love her I won't teach her how to drive the manual cuz I'm scared to death that when she does get to drive it she going to blow them tires off and not know how to handle it just kidding she's a great woman I couldn't have asked for a better one besides my little pony still needing a name , she is #1.1 in my heart.

Makoto

Reaction score
also, just so you know, the 99+ dash chassis is slightly different where the fuse box mounts so it'd be best to get the whole dash if you can. i have a chassis i'd be willing to give but i wont' ship that big monkey :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.