2 cracked out trannys and a mustang gt----my build thread

94STANGLA

Reaction score
94STANGLA here starting my build thread. To really start this we have to go back to July of 2010. So July of 2010 Im working as a porter as a car dealership, I am looking for a Jeep Cherokee. I quickly become friends with a tech who was a mustang owner, 93 fox body, 306 block with a blower on it. So I found this 94 gt convertible for sale and bought it for 2800. When I bought this vehicle I had 0 mechanical knowledge, when I was looking at it I knew to look for leaks and such and it looked to be a solid car. I knew it had been wrecked in the front end hard enough to blow the air bags but other than that it ran and drove really well. So I drove it home and immediately did a tune up on it. MSD wires and dizzy cap, and new plugs. Ran great and got me through a few months of college. I then started noticing a rattle at high speeds and on acceleration in which the cause was a cracked bellhousing(this will happen again at a later date). So it sat for about 2 weeks until I could source a junkyard tranny.

First major repair went smooth, everything was good for about 6 months and the tranny quit on me, no crack just internal failure. By this time I had a second vehicle and was having plans for doing something big, no wife and kids yet and nothing really in my way. Time went by it sat for a few months and I never could get anything together so I did something dumb and found a transmission shop in Florida and purchased a "rebuilt" trans (4r70w) from them. When I got it, there was a nick in the bellhousing. Called them up they said I must have done that when trying to install, I hadn't even cut the straps off the pallet yet. So there goes 900 (should have known better). I installed it anyway, bellhousing cracked in less than 100 miles.

So now im thinking its really time to get this thing going and going well, I was thinking 351 with a c4 and just a huge build. Well life got in the way, I got married, inherited 3 awesome step kids and everything got put on hold until about a month ago. Insurance company called and said "you put your mustang insurance on suspension four years ago, do you have any plans to do anything with it?" So I broke down and got it towed home and yanked the trans out and will try to successfully overhaul it myself. As you can imagine I have come a long way since I first purchased this car, I have no fears when it comes to wrenching on it especially since it is not my daily driver.

To present day, as I said before budget is limited due to being married and what not and will be limited to only things that will get it running and driving properly because I miss driving this car. I worked extremely hard to purchase this car and have put it off for too long, It was my first car that I bought and paid for myself and that always makes it a little more special.

I apologize for this being such a long first post but I wanted yall to see the "history" since ive had the vehicle, this will be a very slow build but I will try to keep yall updated the best that I can.

coming home

on stands right after I got the tranny out...looks like its on grass but the jack stands sit on concrete footers I made for just this purpose, just difficult to see.

when I first got the tranny out

after I tore it all down

95GT86SS

Reaction score
Please tell me you didn't lose any of the check balls and springs that go into that valve body?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

OP
OP

94STANGLA

Reaction score
I did not, I haven't even taken the valve body apart yet. The second transmission that I mentioned I kept and I have that torn down and the plan is to just swap the internals over into the good case. Everything from the cracked tranny looks great, the second tranny on the other hand had a leaking od pin bore and I think at some point when it was installed I either didn't align the converter right or something like that because the pump gears and bushings were messed up.

OP
OP

94STANGLA

Reaction score
Just a little update, before the vehicle was put on hold an oil leak had developed from the oil pan area so while the transmission is out I will be doing an oil pan gasket and rear main seal. I will also be looking for a set of headers in the near future. I haven't decided if I should just pull the motor and do all these items or leave the motor in. I will have to do motor mounts on it from the looks of the mounts.
and heres a few more pictures of the front and engine bay.

lutter94

Reaction score
To do the oil pan gasket, you're either pulling the motor, or dropping the k member. I pulled the motor when I did mine, replaced with long tubes then too, definitely helps bolting on the headers as it goes into place.

OP
OP

94STANGLA

Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I was thinking about just going ahead and pulling the motor. Especially since I already have the trans pulled and how much easier it will be to reseal it that way and doing the headers. I know the headers would be a pain with it in the vehicle.

OP
OP

94STANGLA

Reaction score
Not much of an update after this weekend, had a crazy Friday and Saturday at work so took it easy on sunday. I have decided to pull the motor out, just too much I need to do to try and work around it. Found out I will need a new booster as mine is starting to rust through. Just need to pull the fuel lines and heater hoses and unbolt the motor mounts and ground strap to get it off. Heres a pic after I pulled the fan and radiator.

OP
OP

94STANGLA

Reaction score
Another update coming...finally got the motor out. Will be replacing motor mounts, brake booster, and securing a set of headers while it is out and of course doing the oil pan gasket and rear main seal. I also need to clean my rack and k member up before reinstalling the engine as I had a nasty power steering leak and its all greasy and grimey under there. haha. Heres a few pics of motor out and my booster for viewing pleasure.

I might be interested in a set of equal length shorty headers if anybody has any for sale they want to get rid of!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Great work! Looks to be smooth sailing.....you done this before?

Anyway...their is a listing for a set of FRPP shorties for a 5.0l in the Lexington ky craigslist. Not sure if they are sn95 friendly, but thats what ive seen on the budget frame of mind. (Id be snagging them up, cause im cheap like that)

OP
OP

94STANGLA

Reaction score
Appreciate the kind words, I have never done this before, ive been working in service departments of dealerships now for about 6 years though and spend a lot of time around cars in general, I also have a bronco that has a 351w that I tore completely down and had cleaned up. (dont ask about that project, haha). Unfortunately my dad worked construction before his accident so everything ive learned ive either read about or watched it done and tried to relate that particular car to what i do on my mustang and my other vehicles. But ive worked on my car quite a bit so I know my way around, after all it is just nuts and bolts...and connectors and wires, and hoses, and lines. haha.

Couldnt find the posting, must have sold it already. Im definitely looking for anything used, im not intersted in my headers being the most expensive thing on my motor at the moment, haha.

Just for chits and giggles, heres a pic of my trying to get the booster out. lolz :D (excuse the gut, its also a project)

OP
OP

94STANGLA

Reaction score
mini update, haven't done much the past few weeks been swamped with work. Did manage to get the booster in, made a big ole dunce move and left the nuts that secure master cylinder to booster on the old booster I turned in for a core. So I once I get a set of nuts that small project will be finished. Did get an oil pan gasket, rear main seal and new motor mounts and Trans mount. Its slow coming but I'm hoping I can have it all finished up here very shortly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online

No members online now.