2000 Convertible exterior a-pillar problem?

heffe2001

Reaction score
My exterior a-pillar covers on my 2000 GT convertible aren't sitting flush like they should be.

Right before I got the car, the previous owner had Safelite replace the windshield due to a couple faulty crack repairs, and I think they damaged the A-pillar covers. It looks like to me that they just pulled the covers to the side instead of removing them when they put the new windshield in (I could be wrong, but that's how it looks). I haven't taken them off yet, but it looks like there's a bolt at the bottom, one screw up at the top under the interior panel, and some snaps along the length. Could they have damaged the snaps, and are they easily replaceable, or do I need to replace the whole piece on both sides. I'm trying to get all the body issues like this fixed before it goes into paint (scheduled for the 31st, so I have a little time if I need to order something).

I've attached pictures of both so you can see how they sit.

2013-06-12144320_zps32d7704b.jpg
2013-06-12144306_zps90188abf.jpg

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if Safelite used the wrong gasket around the windshield, anybody have a closeup of basically the same area on their vert? Does it look the same as the gasket shown on mine?

04GTChris

Reaction score
I stopped by the storage unit to drive my convertible a bit. Here's what my A-Frame looks like. My windshield has not been replaced.

photo_1.JPG

photo_3.JPG

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Windshield seal looks like mine, so must be something with the a-pillars. I'm 99.9% sure when they replaced the windshield then screwed up the a-pillars mounting hardware. I'm planning on pulling them off to check everything. I know I need to remove the inside a-pillar and some of the window seal to get at the screw that holds it down (you can see they tried to wedge a screwdriver in there to remove it and failed. It looks to me like the screw on the drivers side is about halfway out still. Does anybody know if there is any adhesive under that that should be holding it down? Need to get this all sorted out in the next week or 2, going to be getting it painted on the 31st

For a half second there I thought I was looking at my pictures until I realized yours has good paint there, and are down like they are supposed to be, lol.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
I pulled the drivers side off this evening (the bolt on the bottom isn't there at all, I'm guessing Safelite didn't put it back in the car when they got it done). There are white 'clip retainers' in the metal a-pillar underneath this piece (in the top 2 holes anyway), the bottom hole doesn't have one. The clips are actually on the outer trim, and they appear to 'bite' into the plastic clips on the metal a-pillar, but for whatever reason it doesn't look like the part will EVER seat properly, the rubber seal inside it holds it up. I'm going to go back out there shortly with my camera and remove it again, and take a few pictures of what it looks like under the trim piece, and the places it clips into, hopefully someone will have an idea as to what's wrong with it. This is one of the last things I need to get fixed before I can get it painted (if I need new trim pieces, I'll push the paint back until I can get them, if it's a clip or something, I'll see if I can figure out how to fix it).

Also, it LOOKS like there should be a tab at the top on the car (either through the metal a-pillar, or perhaps part of the metal a-pillar), but there' a piece of what looks like fatmat or dynamat over what looks to be a hole at the top?). I'll get pictures and be right back, lol.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
There's a little brass insert in the plastic at the top that was crossthreaded/bent. The screw that holds down the sides (and it LOOKS like both sides have this problem) won't go all teh way in, leaving the top part loose. I'm guessing this was done during windshield install. Not sure if I could get it repaired under warranty from Safelite (the previous owner had it done a few weeks before I traded for the car, on 2/27/13, I have the receipt and all that). Do they cover previous work from another car owner or does anybody on here know? Bad thing is, that piece unscrewed with the screw that was holding it down, so there's nothing in the hole on the plastic part (except threads for the brass insert), so I've got he drivers trim off the car, and no way to put it back on, lol (no bolt for the bottom, so can't secure it there either... They also just jammed a screwdriver where the screw is on the molding, and bent the piece there as well :(. Not sure what it's going to take to actually fix correctly, just one more thing in my 'oh shit how I'm going to fix this' list...

I was able to at least thread the brass part back in (got the screw removed from it first, lol), and back on the car held down fairly well, but I still can't for the life of me figure out why it's not staying down like it should. If I were to remove the rubber seal from the a-pillar cover, I think it'd lay down correctly, I'm 99% sure that's what's keeping it from seating correctly... BUT it shouldn't need that right?

Does anybody have a 'vert with these currently removed, or in the process of scrapping one that could get me a few shots of the windshield in that corner without the covers on? I want to make sure the windshield is seated correctly, as that would cause the problem easily as well..

Picture of my windshield corner:
2014-04-01%2019.10.13.jpg

Notice the gap?

2014-04-01%2019.09.57.jpg

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
It looks like I may have the wrong trim pieces on my car... ALL of the convertible trim pieces I've seen for sale for 99-04 have metal slide clips to hold the piece down (with the bolt at the bottom and single screw holding them from sliding up and off). Mine have 2 push-pin type connectors that go into the white plastic parts in the picture above. THOSE look like the 98 and lower mounting tabs I've seen pictured on ebay and other places. Does ANYBODY here have them off their 99+ New edge convertible, and if so are they the push-type, or the slide on metal type?

Mine has one of the metal clip type at the bottom, and 2 of the push-pin at the top. Similar to this (listed as a 98 and lower):

%24_57.JPG

The ones pictured for a 99-04 have mounting tabs like this:

%24_57%20%281%29.JPG

I'm assuming I could get 2 of the newer-style, pull out those 2 white plastic clips, and slide them on, bolt/screw them down and done. I would think it would hold the piece down MUCH better than the little plastic clips could?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
very intersting!

I'm gunna ping [MENTION=12407]SVTstang96[/MENTION] on this one... he might have some suggestions!

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Any help definitely appreciated. I'm still not 100% convinced I have the wrong parts, but without a doubt whatever has caused this issue happened between when the initial pictures I got of the car were done, and after Safelite got a hold of it to replace the windshield. The pieces weren't bent up in the initial pictures, but were when I saw it in person the day after they replaced the windshield. I know they initially got the non-pony windshield, and the previous owner refused that repair, since it wasn't the same as what was in it (was a warranty repair after 2 chips they repaired failed).

I have pictures of my part, it's an even different setup than the two pictured above. The fastener at the bottom looks similar to the ones on the newer cars, the 2 further up the post are the push-pin-clip-type that are on the older models. My suspician is they didn't know how to remove the inner weatherstrip on the car, so they loosened the screws best they could (the weatherstrip is bent at the screws, you can tell a screwdriver was put in and layed over to access the screw), and tilted the covers so they could fit the windshield down in there (at least that's what it looks like, the previous owner did say they took forever to get it done, and left the convertible top unlatched, which he didn't catch until getting on the interstate and the top started to rise).

My trim piece:

2014-04-01%2019.11.17.jpg

My bottom clip:

2014-04-01%2019.11.51.jpg

Would any of you happen to know if the later-model windshield weatherstrip (goes around the door, and top of the windshield, between it an the top) works with the 99-00 models? Everywhere I've looked says the strip I need has been discontinued, and the other won't fit, although CJ Pony Parts has it listed for 09/00-04. Mine LOOKS exactly like what they have pictured, so I'm wondering if Ford has their dates wrong??

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Any help definitely appreciated. I'm still not 100% convinced I have the wrong parts, but without a doubt whatever has caused this issue happened between when the initial pictures I got of the car were done, and after Safelite got a hold of it to replace the windshield. The pieces weren't bent up in the initial pictures, but were when I saw it in person the day after they replaced the windshield. I know they initially got the non-pony windshield, and the previous owner refused that repair, since it wasn't the same as what was in it (was a warranty repair after 2 chips they repaired failed).

I have pictures of my part, it's an even different setup than the two pictured above. The fastener at the bottom looks similar to the ones on the newer cars, the 2 further up the post are the push-pin-clip-type that are on the older models. My suspician is they didn't know how to remove the inner weatherstrip on the car, so they loosened the screws best they could (the weatherstrip is bent at the screws, you can tell a screwdriver was put in and layed over to access the screw), and tilted the covers so they could fit the windshield down in there (at least that's what it looks like, the previous owner did say they took forever to get it done, and left the convertible top unlatched, which he didn't catch until getting on the interstate and the top started to rise).

My trim piece:

2014-04-01%2019.11.17.jpg

My bottom clip:

2014-04-01%2019.11.51.jpg

Would any of you happen to know if the later-model windshield weatherstrip (goes around the door, and top of the windshield, between it an the top) works with the 99-00 models? Everywhere I've looked says the strip I need has been discontinued, and the other won't fit, although CJ Pony Parts has it listed for 09/00-04. Mine LOOKS exactly like what they have pictured, so I'm wondering if Ford has their dates wrong??

It appears that you do have the correct one. However the clips are not in the normal form. The left side of the clips has been pulled out of the slot where is was originally in. If you bend it back and put the left side of the clip into the slot it should allow the trim to sit flush and look normal again.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
With the messed up screw area, i was thinking of replacing them both anyway. Would the later model ones work, or do i need to get ones exactly like i have?

SVTstang96

Reaction score
With the messed up screw area, i was thinking of replacing them both anyway. Would the later model ones work, or do i need to get ones exactly like i have?

I have a set off a 95, I can take a look at them and take some pictures of the back to see if there are any differences. They are yellow in color if that helps. If they are the same I wont charge much for them since I have had them for a while and would just like to see them put to use.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
I was able to get the bottom clip bent back to where it's supposed to be earlier today, but it didn't appear to make much difference as far as how my particular covers are sitting. What it LOOKS like to me is the windshield is sitting out a bit from where it's supposed to be. I have the screw in tight, and it's pulled down as much as it can be, but it's still sitting up at the top (you can see under it). It actually looks like if I were to remove the glued in rubber seal piece, it's sit flush on the windshield like it's supposed to. That seal is stiff as a piece of steel, no give to it at all, so could that be the problem? Should it be somewhat pliable?

I didn't get much of a chance to mess with it earlier, but I'm just about ready to pull the rubber seal piece off to see if that actually fixes it.

Not sure if you caught it before, but it has had the windshield replaced recently (day before I looked it over, 2/27/13 I think it was, have the receipt here somewhere) at Safelite. I'm just wondering if they just did a crappy job on mine, and either screwed up my covers, or botched the windshield replacement... It's also possible that these have been sitting up so long that they've warped somehow, and won't ever sit right. It's almost like there's supposed to be a clip at the top that's not there (there's a slot under the rubber piece at the top, but nothing on the car for it to clip into, so I'm guessing there isn't supposed to be).

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I was able to get the bottom clip bent back to where it's supposed to be earlier today, but it didn't appear to make much difference as far as how my particular covers are sitting. What it LOOKS like to me is the windshield is sitting out a bit from where it's supposed to be. I have the screw in tight, and it's pulled down as much as it can be, but it's still sitting up at the top (you can see under it). It actually looks like if I were to remove the glued in rubber seal piece, it's sit flush on the windshield like it's supposed to. That seal is stiff as a piece of steel, no give to it at all, so could that be the problem? Should it be somewhat pliable?

I didn't get much of a chance to mess with it earlier, but I'm just about ready to pull the rubber seal piece off to see if that actually fixes it.

Not sure if you caught it before, but it has had the windshield replaced recently (day before I looked it over, 2/27/13 I think it was, have the receipt here somewhere) at Safelite. I'm just wondering if they just did a crappy job on mine, and either screwed up my covers, or botched the windshield replacement... It's also possible that these have been sitting up so long that they've warped somehow, and won't ever sit right. It's almost like there's supposed to be a clip at the top that's not there (there's a slot under the rubber piece at the top, but nothing on the car for it to clip into, so I'm guessing there isn't supposed to be).

I have the window still in the cobra I am parting. I will head out there and take some pictures of the gap and thickness for you to compare it to. I will also take pictures of the back of those convertible panels. Hopefully between those 2 you can figure out what the problem is.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
That should help me determine if my windshield was put in right, it wouldn't take it being pushed out by much to give me the issue I'm having though..

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Hey, off topic question, but do you still have those side scoops off the 01 cobra, and what do you want for the set shipped to 28601 (business address if that matters any).

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Actually the side scoops were the very first thing i sold on the car, so they are long gone. I have a set of red ones which I am debating on selling.... I wanted to put them on the GT I am fixing but I have not decided yet.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
I've got a set of the AM aftermarket, they LOOK the same, but the grill mounting I think is different on them. Could have stuck the ones from the cobra on there and would have looked decent until I can get it painted. I'll just end up using what I have, just kind of worried about the 3m tape on the plastic grills holding them in is all..

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I've got a set of the AM aftermarket, they LOOK the same, but the grill mounting I think is different on them. Could have stuck the ones from the cobra on there and would have looked decent until I can get it painted. I'll just end up using what I have, just kind of worried about the 3m tape on the plastic grills holding them in is all..

I wouldn't worry about the 3M tape. That stuff is super strong and can hold just about anything to a car. I have heard of people putting entire spoilers on cars with that stuff and never having a problem. Personally I have it holding my emblems on, and quarter window louvers on.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
I have the window still in the cobra I am parting. I will head out there and take some pictures of the gap and thickness for you to compare it to. I will also take pictures of the back of those convertible panels. Hopefully between those 2 you can figure out what the problem is.

Did you ever get any shots of the windshield area on that 01? I've tried everything I can think of aside from cutting out the seal in that a-pillar piece to get it to lay down. That'll be next though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99