2000 Mustang GT engine rebuild

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Some of yall know from a previous post, my old Mustang, that i sold to my brother, lost oil pressure while driving on the highway and spun a bearing (or so i believe).
We obviously cant just get rid of it, for one it has to much sentimental value.

What i want to know is, what would be the cheapest but best option on rebuilding or replacing the engine. Honestly we are trying to keep it under 1200, with me and him doing all the work ourselfs.

A little info:
It is a 2000 Mustang gt 5spd
it has 109k on the clock.
everything was in working order, it had proper oil level.
The car was immediately shut off when the knocking was heard..
I know i wont know the extent of the damage till the engine is actually gets cracked open, if it actually does..

Here is a few of my options..
- rebuild, with new bearings and get the crank shaft turned. (is this what it essentially needs?)
- find a lower mileage 99+ gt engine and do a direct swap.. (probably the easiest..)
- find a 96-98 gt engine, swaping over all the pi parts and cops from the 2000 gt, and gaining a slight bump in hp due to the increased compression ratio. This may also be the cheapest because most 96-98 engines are dirt cheap.. this may also be cheap enough to have the heads re-worked (port polish etc?). My biggest thing is will this even work?

chris91

Reaction score
Whats your experience working on cars? Have you ever had a engine apart? Mod motors arent the friendliest of engines to work on. The hardest part is timing. Its not impossible but not really for a novice. If you do have a decent bit of experience Id pick up a NPI block and throw your heads on it and call it a day. But if you dont have much experience Id just track down a replacement engine. Personally Id track one down from a 02-05 Explorer as they have aluminum blocks that are lighter. Really just boils down to your experience.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
PI engines go for like $500 around here.

I wouldn't bother doing a rebuild. A engine swap would be much more straight forward and will save you the headache.

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Whats your experience working on cars? Have you ever had a engine apart? Mod motors arent the friendliest of engines to work on. The hardest part is timing. Its not impossible but not really for a novice. If you do have a decent bit of experience Id pick up a NPI block and throw your heads on it and call it a day. But if you dont have much experience Id just track down a replacement engine. Personally Id track one down from a 02-05 Explorer as they have aluminum blocks that are lighter. Really just boils down to your experience.

well my experience of tearing an engine down is zero... so are the explorer engines a direct swap :)

PI engines go for like $500 around here.

I wouldn't bother doing a rebuild. A engine swap would be much more straight forward and will save you the headache.

lol thats what i was thinking, but i cannot find a decent motor around my area.. :undecided:

I would say a complete swap would be easier and way less of a headache.

that seems to be the popular option.. :)

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well. you could source out a 5.4 instead of a 4.6.... lol.

thats about all i know. :tard:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The 5.4l is not a direct swap. Although the torque output is stupid fun, their really is no hp gains unless you switch to 4v heads. To date, the most hp extracted from a pi headed 2v 5.4l is 317rwhp.

-widening the exhaust
-intake adapter (unless you pick up an hps 5.4l intake)
-rework injector fuel rail lines.
-a dyno tune

chris91

Reaction score
Yeah itll be the same HP. Not sure but you MIGHT have to swap your timing cover from your old engine to the new. Obviously youll put your old Intake Manifold and Exhaust Manifolds on it. Thats where the Town Car's lack the HP the Mustangs have.

Sounds like a rod bearing though. No way to be sure until you pull the oil pan.

OP
OP
C

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Yeah the oil pan will probably get pulled out of curiousitu when a new engine gets put in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online