2001 cobra motor

Reaction score
Hey everyone I was wondering if you can take an 01 motor and make as much power as an 03, 04 cobra motor? I am looking at an 01 cobra and the wrist pin is bad so I was going to get an 03 cobra block from MMR and put that in it and upgrade the heads, forge the internals and put a whipple or kenne bell supercharger on it. Any help would be great.

BigBore96

Reaction score
The 01 heads are not as good as 03s. Small differences. Won't be really noticeable. The 01 Cams are better than the 03s. Don't get an 03 block. Go ahead and keep the aluminum 01 if you can. By upgrade the heads what do you mean? Aside from springs there isn't too much of a point of doing much aside from rebuilding them to new status unless you have deep pockets. The 01 crank is the same forged crank in the 03 so you're good to go there unless you want to stroke it.

How much is the 01 motor?

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Well the 01 motor has its been diagnosed as a worn wrist pin on cylinder number 1 this was @ 160,000. That is what the 01 motor has a problem. If it is not that much to repair then I might end up redoing the block. I would like to get some cobra heads which are around 3k for each one.

BigBore96

Reaction score
I'd bore the 01 block 20 over and throw forged rods/pistons at it. Would be very strong and can make great power. Make sure you have the heads gone through/checked out just to be safe.

Any idea how they narrowed it down to the wrist pin? I hope it's not being run. If it is it could get a whole lot worse than a wrist pin if that's indeed what it is.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
I am emailing the guy now he is on svtp forums and said that they have ran it under 3k on the tach for about 7k miles. I don't know how they narrowed it down but that is what the guy said. He has sent me pictures of the car and it is a solid looking car. I just need to get some stuff paid off before I get it. I seen in some other posts that you are from Knightstown I am from Lawrenceburg Indiana.

BigBore96

Reaction score
o_O Nice another Indiana member. There's a bunch of us on here.

Does he have a for sale or build thread on SVTP? if so link it up if you don't mind.

BigBore96

Reaction score
O so you're looking at entire cars not just engines. That doesn't seem too bad for what it is as long as it's nice. Have you asked how much he wants for it if he includes the 03 mach engine?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Still retains excellent oil pressure and runs very smooth uses a little oil but thats to be expected for its mileage. engine hasnt seen engine speeds in excess of 3,000 rpms since it developed the tick. its girl driven and it hasnt been ripped on or beat on since weve had it

this part scares the hell out of me....

just plan on tearing it down. ticking heads are common in C-head cars. Could be a head problem, a wrist pin, a bearing, etc. etc. etc.

If it was a bearing and they continued to drive it (even at idle...) that oil pump is pushing garbage through the entire motor, chewing up cams and the oil pump.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
O so you're looking at entire cars not just engines. That doesn't seem bad for what it is as long as it's nice. Have you asked how much he wants for it if he includes the 03 mach engine?

if they throw in the mach1 engine, I'd say go for it.

IRS is worth a grand or so. cobra seats, intake manifold, c-heads, etc. etc. etc. at that point wiht the mach engine you wont lose out on much if the entire thing turns out to be a part-out at the end of the day.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah I haven't talked to him much about it since I can't afford the car yet, I told him I would keep in touch with him but it will probabaly be gone by the time I get all of my bills paid off.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah the car is sharp, silver in color has the saleen replicas on it looks nice. I would love to redo the engine and forge everything and put a supercharger on it and listen to that whine. Love those cobra compilations. I listen to them daily.

BigBore96

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind too, is that the engine is for all selling purposes blown up. I'd definitely *** him down on the price a bunch because of it if he still has it when you get the money. Unless the mach engine goes with it. I mean it's not too bad as long at that price but you can get a perfectly fine one for that price or a little bit more if you keep your eye out.

Don't overlook the 96-98s either. They can be found cheap, especially if you are looking for one to build. Can be just as fast just as easy. Just have to do slightly different things.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Yep I have been keeping my eyes out for one just need to get my bills paid off first. I have been seeing 96 for 4500.00 and just saw a 99 for 4500.00. Yeah I don't have a mustang yet just doing my research so I know what to expect.

BigBore96

Reaction score
with the 99s+ being IRS and you looking for high mileage/cheap/needing rebuild/etc, Factor in the cost of a solid bushing set for htem as thye are sure to be shot, A good set is like 750ish IIRC, along with a engine build. A knocking 99 for 4500 is not as good of a deal as a solid 96 for the same price. If you are not used to mustangs and money could be an issue. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
MMR has the 03/04 for 3k and up to 4500.00 for a pair my bad I thought they was for each one.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Don't base prices off of MMR or else you'll need a lot of this.

images

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
ok they seem to be a little cheaper than DSS. I was looking at DSS prices and they seem high.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online