2001 cobra motor

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
take a look at sites other than MMR.

http://tri-cityautoparts.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=9

do a search for 2004 mustang engine then go to s/c DOHC cobra when it asks you to pick a trim.

$6,000 for the engine.

thats far cheaper than buying MMR 4500.00 heads and having to replace the bottom end..... . .. . .

(not saying you should do this, just saying its an option other than MMR)

BigBore96

Reaction score
What are you comparing? Buying new heads? DON'T do this. At all. Serves no purpose. Heads don't go bad and are readily available.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
what's your goals??

so, here's where MustangChris is at:

has a 500 Horsepower coupe with a knock.... spent a solid chunk of change getting awesome chassis bracing done.

wants: turbo convertible, but doesnt want to sell-short on his already built hunk of crap.

Point he's making: Is wishing it was a convertible taht was broken down right now, not a coupe. lol.

You're in a rare opportunity to pick exactly what you want -- and we're here to help.

First, do you want a coupe or a convertible?

If you want a coupe, we can keep looking at this car you've picked out. Otherwise, if you want a vert, keep hunting because youll find something.

next, do you want a turbo car for highway racing? or a drag car? or a road-race car?

If you want a turbo car, we've got a good choice here because you dont have to remove a blower...

catching my drift?

tell us what you want to be cruising in, and we'll help you determine a solid way to get there :)

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Basically I would like a convertible but convertibles aren't nearly as sturdy as coupes. I would like a street cruiser with a supercharger, don't plan on racing or taking it to the drag strip maybe the occasional street race. Coupes you can build them up to maybe 500-600 hp where as a convertible maybe 400-500. This is going to be my fun car and only taken out when nice and spring,summer, fall car. I have been looking at getting a cobra because most of them are the 4v and you can make some serious hp from them. I know the 2v you can make some serious hp from them just takes longer. Like I said I have pics of 2 cars I am looking at, 1 01 cobra that is silver and I am looking at a is this one:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...1999-svt-cobra-poor-girl-needs-some-work.html

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well get a convertible.

the worst worst worst case scenario is the body has been torqued.

nothing you cant keep an eye out for. ... nothing a frame shop couldnt catch as well...

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Actually I really want a coupe so I might stick with the silver one because that is the color I really like, plus it has the rims already on it that I was going to put on it. I will see if he can get me some pics of the engine that is what he hasn't sent me any of yet.

BigBore96

Reaction score
I have a vert and it feels very sturdy imo. they're heavier than coupes though

No offense belbs. But.... seriously? Verts are limp noodles unless they have a proper setup. Which..... umm... you don't have. My wimpy n/a cobra power would twist your frame quick.

OP, Don't give 7k for that black one. Not a chance in hell. Post some pictures of this silver one you are talking about.

The real question is what kind of power do you want? Like, honestly, what do you want? Most people want 4-500hp (realistically). And even that amoutn of power will cost a good chunk of change, especially to be safe about it and to build it properly.

Coupe or convertible it won't matter aside from weight and a bit of rigidity (which can be fixed with the proper parts). Choose what you want.
Cobra or GT. Get whichever one you can afford the nicest car for. Honestly if I were building a car to make nice and in your situation. I'd buy a 2v GT of your choice of body style 96-04. Then build a separate motor on the side with the money you save from not getting a Cobra. You'll come out cheaper in 99% of cases if you build a GT, even if you switch to 4v with it. Going 4v is cheap. If you don't believe me I'll get you some pictures of my 96 GT my Gf and I picked up a couple years ago for 1700. It's a very nice car (nicer than my Cobra until I get it painted this spring). Average cobra -7k. 7k-1700=5300=NICELY built GT of your choice of mod style. Blower/turbo/built engine/No2/etc.

And Idk what this is about because this just sounds like it was pulled from a bad forum. "Coupes you can build them up to maybe 500-600 hp where as a convertible maybe 400-500"

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
just remember, if you get a convertible its "simple" (notice the quotes) to stiffen the chassis up.

take it to a frame shop, have them weld in sub frame connectors - that will take care of chassis sag. (take it to a frame shop so they can properly measure it)

after that take it to a shop that can weld in a certified roll cage.

Thats why i want a convertible... i want a roll cage bustin' out for all to see....

BigBore96

Reaction score
Not going to lie MC. One of my favorite SNs is a vert.

[video=youtube;AzpDOFOvdek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzpDOFOvdek[/video]

chris91

Reaction score
Id offer the guy with the Black one like 5500. Its definitely worth that. Where is the one you were saying was $4500? After searching around for about a month for a new ride I found the 99 Cobra's are bringing in a pretty penny still. I havent found a nice one with decent miles on it for under 9k. This was searching EVERYWHERE too.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Ok so If I do take your advice BigBore and get a gt how hard is it to go to a 4v? I mean if we are talking about going to a terminator motor supposedly you have to replace the whole wiring thru the car. I would like to get an 01 4v and make around the 4-500 hp mark with a supercharger. I will try and get the pics of the silver one up now.

BigBore96

Reaction score
It's not hard to swap a 2v to a 4v. You can run a 4v motor with 2v wiring no problem. It's another option I figured I'd point out since money seems to be an issue.

To make 400+ with any 4v it's not hard. You don't even have to build the motor. Take any Cobra 96-01 and add a intercooled centri with basic bolt ons and you will hit 400hp no problem. @ 450 hp is when you need to start worrying. Not only about the engine but also the transmission. Which of course will cost more money. You can hit 400hp with a blower on a 2v btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online