2001 GT Ticking.. opinions

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of locked lash adjusters, in other words, solid lashed valves.

OP
OP
ft_nox

ft_nox

Reaction score
I'm not hearing it either.

Its quite deep.. definitely in the bottom end of the engine. I didn't want to get carried away just in case it decided to seize up where the car was sitting.

Hey Man, no reason to get bummed over it. If you did get a spare engine I would take the one you currently have and tear it down, find out what failed and why, then build it back up. Makes it fun when you can build one while you are still driving your car.

THIS kind sir is the only bright side to this story. I definitely wanted to graduate and save for a 5.oh but we shall see now. I will have a bunch of 2v stuff laying around.

Now I know that I could google this information but while i have an audience.. Any thoughts on 4.6's to steer clear of?

chris91

Reaction score
I would still pull the timing cover and check the guides. If the tensioners have failed you will definitely be able to tell. Shouldnt take you more than an hour or two to get it down that far and its REALLY easy.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Sorry! Stay away from 4thread sparkplug heads. Unless you get them timeserted...

jschlngr

Reaction score
I have an '02 GT, 129,000 miles, completely stock. When my engine warms up I hear a ticking noise. At a higher rpm the ticking seems to go away. I grabbed a mechanic's stethoscope at Harbor Freight, touched it to different spots along my valve cover and timing cover. The ticking sound seems more evident when I touch the timing cover. Pretty sure it's my timing chains slapping. Might be a cheap route for you to find your engine noise. I originally thought the sound was deeper in the motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online