2001 GT update and questions

AJCrader

Reaction score
I don't post much, but figure I would update first then ask questions...

2001 GT Auto
Mods: 4.56 full spool, 3500 stall converter, Bama tune, BBK CAI, mild weight reduction, MT Drag Radials

Best pass is
60 - 1.699
330 - 5.318
660 - [email protected]
990 - 11.026
1320 - [email protected]

I have had a best 60' of 1.669, but bad air kept it slower overall.

I am trying to figure out a way to get into the 12s without cutting up the car or dumping a bunch of money into it.

I want to know if something is wrong with the car or something...I keep getting told that my short numbers indicate I should be mid-low 12s and be closer to 105-108mph, I keep telling them that I have it set up right for launching and that the 4.6l 2v doesn't breathe well enough to make those numbers without a power adder.

I would love some insight/help!

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Hey thats pretty good, I could only get in the 8.6's in the 660ft back when I was n/a. 60fter in the awful 2.0+ range. That auto has to be helping you

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Any car that regularly see's high rpm need a catch can in the positive crankcase ventilation line better known as pcv.

Then you have those who delete the pcv and stuff a breather on the valve cover....but doesnt really solve a problem. Only compounds more problems.

If the engine has never been apart, has high milage, and retains the factory pcv system....its a pretty good bet oil has plagued the intake tract starting with the pcv valve all the way to the to the combustion chamber. Im willing to throwdown a few dollars and say your stock intake manifold has a small puddle of oil at its bottom inside.

Folks instantly think oil within the pcv line is blowby. Blowby refes to pressures blowing by the piston rings into the crankcase. The pcv line having vacuum from the engines intake manifold draws the vacuum on the crankcase eventually drawing whatever from the case. This is only partial to the modulars situation.

Homogenized oil from being atomize by camshafts rotating 3000rpms gets suspended in mid-air and then drawn into the pcv tract, ultimately into the intake manifold. This is evident by black oil tracting all over the intake ports and carbon build up in the chamber, piston tops, and back of intake valve. If you engine has any milage whatsoever with out a catch can, oil has plagued the combustion chamber. Any oil in the mix DESTROYS combustion volatility. Volatility depicts hp and since vacuums are the highest at max rpm.......

Since im familiar with turning dragracing into a science, utilizing ever aspect possible to gain that .01 ET is crucial and adpting a cheap $20 oil air seperator from tractor supply can net a real gain.

Long story short, keep the oil from entering the intake.

What more ideas?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Grab a crownvic upper intake elbow and a 5.4l throttle body(adapt the old throttle lever to the new body). Cheap upgrade yet effective! Should work with your tune too.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
With 4.56s, I'd say 1. Long tube headers and 2. Cams
Those would most definitely do it! A little pricey tho. This guy is trying to break 12's on the cheap! We both have very effective ideas how to get him there too!

OP
OP
A

AJCrader

Reaction score
Any car that regularly see's high rpm need a catch can in the positive crankcase ventilation line better known as pcv.

Then you have those who delete the pcv and stuff a breather on the valve cover....but doesnt really solve a problem. Only compounds more problems.

If the engine has never been apart, has high milage, and retains the factory pcv system....its a pretty good bet oil has plagued the intake tract starting with the pcv valve all the way to the to the combustion chamber. Im willing to throwdown a few dollars and say your stock intake manifold has a small puddle of oil at its bottom inside.

Folks instantly think oil within the pcv line is blowby. Blowby refes to pressures blowing by the piston rings into the crankcase. The pcv line having vacuum from the engines intake manifold draws the vacuum on the crankcase eventually drawing whatever from the case. This is only partial to the modulars situation.

Homogenized oil from being atomize by camshafts rotating 3000rpms gets suspended in mid-air and then drawn into the pcv tract, ultimately into the intake manifold. This is evident by black oil tracting all over the intake ports and carbon build up in the chamber, piston tops, and back of intake valve. If you engine has any milage whatsoever with out a catch can, oil has plagued the combustion chamber. Any oil in the mix DESTROYS combustion volatility. Volatility depicts hp and since vacuums are the highest at max rpm.......

Since im familiar with turning dragracing into a science, utilizing ever aspect possible to gain that .01 ET is crucial and adpting a cheap $20 oil air seperator from tractor supply can net a real gain.

Long story short, keep the oil from entering the intake.

What more ideas?

Makes sense, never thought about it that way!

More ideas are always welcomed!

OP
OP
A

AJCrader

Reaction score
With 4.56s, I'd say 1. Long tube headers and 2. Cams
Cams are out for now, not the direction I want to go right now, however, been looking for long tubes on the cheap for a while, but nothing in my area, or the shipping makes it more than I want to spend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.