2002 GT Coyote Swap Transmission Compatibilities

tonyconti12

Reaction score
I have a clean 2002 Gt I just picked up. I'm starting to gather parts for a gen 2 coyote swap. I plan on adding a supercharger eventually so I want to go ahead and get a trans that can handle that power at some point. I am struggling to find out exactly which manual tremec transmissions will work... I've seen people selling tremec t56's out of vettes for decent prices and I'd like to snag one if the price is right BUT I don't want to throw away money on a trans I cant even use....

Does anyone have info on exactly which tremec transmissions out of what cars are able to be used on a coyote?

Also I want to get a tr3650 to start because it'll be NA in the beginning because they're decently cheap but once again... which tr3650 can I use and what car is it out of? I have an 09 GT and it has the tr3650 and I don't mind it but it having the remote shifter is an issue because it wont line up with the factory shifter location...

I just need a manual trans that can take some abuse while the car is NA and is less than $1,000. I will be running the PBH control pack so I don't need a specific harness or module for the trans either.

The goal is to get a t56 core that is compatible with the swap and have it built before I add the supercharger.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You’ll have to be savvy shopper to find what you’re after for $1000 but it’s not impossible. I’m not aware of which Corvette T56 will work but I’ll research it. Otherwise, these are your basic choices from best to least desired:

1. T56 Magnum with the correct bellhousing

2. 03/04 Cobra T56

3. Tr3650 from 01-04 GT, 03/04 Mach 1 or 01 Cobra - None of these were meant to live above 7k rpm’s without modification or the torque the Coyote can muster. They’ll work but for how long?

4. The S197 stuff could work with a bunch of surgery but I don’t think it’s worth the headache.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Corvette t56, or any gm t56 for that matter, won’t work without extensive modifications. Any of the transmissions for Modular engines that have a direct mount shifter and a cable clutch will work.

The t56 magnum like white has with his coyote swap is fantastic.

I used a t45 with my swap and it worked well, but it was also very built. I’ve now got a 6r80 automatic in mine.

What area are you in?

OP
OP
tonyconti12

tonyconti12

Reaction score
You’ll have to be savvy shopper to find what you’re after for $1000 but it’s not impossible. I’m not aware of which Corvette T56 will work but I’ll research it. Otherwise, these are your basic choices from best to least desired:

1. T56 Magnum with the correct bellhousing

2. 03/04 Cobra T56

3. Tr3650 from 01-04 GT, 03/04 Mach 1 or 01 Cobra - None of these were meant to live above 7k rpm’s without modification or the torque the Coyote can muster. They’ll work but for how long?

4. The S197 stuff could work with a bunch of surgery but I don’t think it’s worth the headache.

Thank you so much, this is great information to have... I'm picking up a tr3650 tomorrow after work that was out of a Mach 1 that is coming with an upgraded clutch and steeda shifter.

Prior to this info I thought you could get just about any t56 because the bellhousings are interchangeable. While that may be true I'll just keep an eye out for a magnum or 03/04 Cobra T56. I really don't want to buy a new T56 from summit for almost $4,000 lol.

OP
OP
tonyconti12

tonyconti12

Reaction score
Corvette t56, or any gm t56 for that matter, won’t work without extensive modifications. Any of the transmissions for Modular engines that have a direct mount shifter and a cable clutch will work.

The t56 magnum like white has with his coyote swap is fantastic.

I used a t45 with my swap and it worked well, but it was also very built. I’ve now got a 6r80 automatic in mine.

What area are you in?

I was thinking t45 originally but from what I did find, if you're just going to throw in a completely stock trans, the 3650 is apparently better off. BUT you can pick up t45's for way cheaper.... so to each their own I guess.

And good ol North East Ohio

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I was thinking t45 originally but from what I did find, if you're just going to throw in a completely stock trans, the 3650 is apparently better off. BUT you can pick up t45's for way cheaper.... so to each their own I guess.

And good ol North East Ohio
North east Ohio is a bit of a trek for me lol. I was going to offer my built t45.

As for the t56’s, the bellhousings do come off, but the gm transmissions all have hydraulic clutches. I don’t know what it would take to convert one.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
North east Ohio is a bit of a trek for me lol. I was going to offer my built t45.

As for the t56’s, the bellhousings do come off, but the gm transmissions all have hydraulic clutches. I don’t know what it would take to convert one.

This

07GtS197

Reaction score
I had that hydraulic clutch installed in my old 00 gt and it sucked. The engagement point was very narrow and I could never get it to adjust properly. Modern driveline has one that’s supposed to be great though.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Thank you so much, this is great information to have... I'm picking up a tr3650 tomorrow after work that was out of a Mach 1 that is coming with an upgraded clutch and steeda shifter.

Prior to this info I thought you could get just about any t56 because the bellhousings are interchangeable. While that may be true I'll just keep an eye out for a magnum or 03/04 Cobra T56. I really don't want to buy a new T56 from summit for almost $4,000 lol.
I run my tr3650 in my swap without issues. However, it doesn't like 7k shifts so beware of that. I also open track the car and it works just fine. Be sure to use correct fluid.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I had that hydraulic clutch installed in my old 00 gt and it sucked. The engagement point was very narrow and I could never get it to adjust properly. Modern driveline has one that’s supposed to be great though.
+1 and +1.

I ran the McLeod unit a decade ago and it was a terrible experience. I am currently running the MDL kit and it's pretty good so far.

And even though the GM T-56 Mag cores use hydro, doesn't the just mean you ditch the slave bearing off the input tube and run the correct BH to make it work with the Moose Tang?

OP
OP
tonyconti12

tonyconti12

Reaction score
Picked up a tr3650 out of an 02 Mach 1. Has 160k on it but shifted good when it was in the car. Came with the steeda tri-ax shifter too, ran me $500 total but the shifter is almost 300 new so I’m cool with that. I know this is kind of a broad questions but does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of clutch lines/any other manual transmission stuff I should use?

I’ve done a lot of work on cars before but I haven’t really done anything with transmissions at all and I haven’t really been working with the sn95 platform. Just s197 stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tonyconti12

tonyconti12

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I can get a petal box out of any manual gt for the clutch. But since I’m switching to drive by wire for the throttle pedal I get a new one with the pbh kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tonyconti12

tonyconti12

Reaction score
I picked this up at summit racing the other week for a pretty good price because it was an open box special.

Can't wait to get this project started. I'm closing on a house this month so once I move in I'll finally have the room to get the car ripped apart!

clutch.png

weendoggy

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I can get a petal box out of any manual gt for the clutch. But since I’m switching to drive by wire for the throttle pedal I get a new one with the pbh kit.
You don't get a pedal box from them (unless they started doing that). What you get, or should I say, have to buy, is the throttle pedal mount so you can mount the DBW Coyote pedal to. You'll still need a pedal box or acquire the parts to make it a manual/clutch setup. Easy to use a cable and not go hydraulic but that's up to you. Hydraulic setup will cost a lot more than a cable.

OP
OP
tonyconti12

tonyconti12

Reaction score
You don't get a pedal box from them (unless they started doing that). What you get, or should I say, have to buy, is the throttle pedal mount so you can mount the DBW Coyote pedal to. You'll still need a pedal box or acquire the parts to make it a manual/clutch setup. Easy to use a cable and not go hydraulic but that's up to you. Hydraulic setup will cost a lot more than a cable.
The PBH control pack comes with the coyote throttle pedal but no 99-04 manual pedal box. I should be able to pick up a manual pedal box for around $100 and it needs to have the harness on it for the clutch switch. That harness plugs directly into the harness under the dash. Foxcast Media on Youtube posted a good video about manual swapping a 99-04 mustang that has a lot of important information.

weendoggy

Reaction score
The PBH control pack comes with the coyote throttle pedal but no 99-04 manual pedal box. I should be able to pick up a manual pedal box for around $100 and it needs to have the harness on it for the clutch switch. That harness plugs directly into the harness under the dash. Foxcast Media on Youtube posted a good video about manual swapping a 99-04 mustang that has a lot of important information.
If you don't get the 'stock' clutch switch, you can provide your own setup. Make sure you get the DBW adapter or you'll be making something yourself. I think PBH doesn't include that part with the CP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.