2003 4.6 into 01 gt

markmopar

Reaction score
Hey all,
I recently got myself an 01 GT. It has 192k on it and starts to smoke after it idles for a few minutes so I assume the valve guides are shot. The trans shudders going into OD plus it kind of hunts around for what gear it wants.
My neighbor has an 03 Crown Vic that runs really well. I can get the engine/trans fer next to nothing. I figure to freshen it a bit and chuck it in my GT.

Is there anything I need to change on the 03 to put it into my 01?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Engine wise, basically the same engine, minus camshaft differences. Take your engine out, swap over all the covers onto the vic engine. Be good as gold.

Transmission wise, im lost to the automatics. Both cars may or may not have used the same style transmission and if they did, their may be gearing differences or a longer tail shaft....i really dont know. Someone will chime in

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Electrically the transmission will work. The tail shafts are different lengths and will require you shorten the driveshaft and the shift selectors are different so you will have to swap that over (which requires dropping the pan and pulling the valve body). Other than that, the trans will install just fine.

07GtS197

Reaction score
If it’s a p71 then yes the tail shaft will be longer.
Op does your car throw codes for the transmission? The issues you describe are indicative of a failing mlps sensor and not the transmission itself.

OP
OP
markmopar

markmopar

Reaction score
If it’s a p71 then yes the tail shaft will be longer.
Op does your car throw codes for the transmission? The issues you describe are indicative of a failing mlps sensor and not the transmission itself.
No, no codes for the trans. Just for no cats(I have a Pypes headpipe setup to install) and right bank running lean.

OP
OP
markmopar

markmopar

Reaction score
Engine wise, basically the same engine, minus camshaft differences. Take your engine out, swap over all the covers onto the vic engine. Be good as gold.
So the cams are different? I figured they would be but wasn't sure.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’m still leaning towards the mlps, they’re known to cause all kinds of strange issues when they go bad.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Could be. Sometimes it stalls when I put it in reverse.
Most likely that’s an idle issue, I wouldn’t be too worried about that one. I guess my point is I wouldn’t mess with the transmission until the new motor is in and you can test the transmission. There is a way to check the resistance values of each position but that won’t give you a good enough picture of what’s really going on. A datalog will be better.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
To much surprise, yes they are different across platforms. I did a cam mapping investigation with the many cams i have laying around. Turns out the Mustangs and 5.4l have the better performer cams. The vics and explorers getting a cam more for driving torque. Duration and valve lifts are different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online