2003 cobra engine swap

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
posted in other forums as well,
want to drop in a 03 cobra engine into
my 96 GT. Is this possible and if so what
am i gonna need besides the engine, computer and tranny?
will this all bolt into a 96?
thanks guys

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
it can and has been done, the more of the stock parts you can get the easier the swap will be...a good shop will be able to perform the swap with ease.

Rantheman

Reaction score
yeah the swap is easy and like he said the mor stock parts you can get for the swap the eaiser but I would suggest youalso the the t-56 to hold the power since our t-45 can't handle much

281powered

Reaction score
03/04 cobra motor is loootza money to buy :eek: but probably well worth it :khobra:

whty98

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
think about the pushrod motor you could build with all that money

But it's so much cooler saying the you have a Supercharged DOHC 4.6 then an old school pushrod. I see your point though, 50 would probably make more power with the same amount of $$$, I'd take both engines.

Rantheman

Reaction score
you could do a 351 swap with a t-5 or a 460 with a t-5 and have like 400hp then and a s/c on later

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
whty98 said:
Snakebit said:
think about the pushrod motor you could build with all that money

But it's so much cooler saying the you have a Supercharged DOHC 4.6 then an old school pushrod. I see your point though, 50 would probably make more power with the same amount of $$$, I'd take both engines.

that is a fact :)

OP
OP

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
not to mention you turbo the 03 cobra engine then
i'll have around 900rwhp......
that and i just like the fact that i have a
96 "GT".....

silverstang1996

Reaction score
yeah that's exactly how i feel, i'd like to do the same swap sometime, i posted a tread bout this same thing a little while back hah

whty98

Reaction score
I would love to do some type of engine swap (ie 1998 cobra 302 NA engine) but right now the funds are not aviable due to college. After college I will be doing some serious stuff though. Having a 98 "GT" with a stock exterior would f*** w. so many people by smoking them.

Fryrice

Reaction score
Dude,sleeper is the way to go ! Just imagine the look on some ricers face when he has his girlfriend in the car,and you walk his ass and he never knew what hit him,lol

Fryrice

Reaction score
I know the PI intake sets higher than a NPI cuz of the exhaust side.,so the factory 97-98 hood will fit .Not sure bout a 03 Cobra intake though.

OP
OP

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
nah,
im getting a steeda race wing,
new hood, probally cobra r, and new
headlights,
SLEEPER!
i love it, especially with all the stangs hoped
up round here, they see 96 and go
ha! loser....
then you drop 'em
eventually anyways

jpajkos

Reaction score
I get that all the time. Just this monday that passed I was on my way to pick up my girl from work. This black 96-98 cobra pulled up next to me and well we both pretty much new we were going to get on it. We didn't launch I played it cool but then I heard him drop and romp on it so I did. I pulled on him in 3rd gear and when I looked at him he gave me this look like "No Freakin way" :eek:. Needless to say he followed me when I got to my girls job he asked him I was on the bottle or blown and told him nope. he didnt believe me so I pop the hood and he just couldn;t believe it. :dancing6:

Nick

Reaction score
Not very difficult at all. Only wiring you will need is the motor harness itself. The rest of your stock wiring will be fine. You will need to custom mount your coil packs and change fuel rails. You have a return style fuel system and the 03 motor has returnless. These are not compatible and the return is better hands down. Other than that just go to Ford and buy the coolant lines for an 03 Cobra, everything else will bolt in. If you have the money get a tubular k member and some longtube headers and you'll be set, and the install won't be that difficult either.

I have done this swap a couple of time in my gagrage. I had a 97 cobra motor in my car at first then I pulled it and went with 01 head etc.

I have a fully forged 97 teksid block with 01 4V heads/cams/intake in my 97 GT. All under the stock hood ;) Ans the license plate says JST A GT ...Gotta love it.

Pm me if you have any q?'s

Nick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online