2003 Mach 1 "Restomod" Project BadMach

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
I figured I would edit this for the current change in direction.

So, I initially picked up this Mach 1 project for a drag car. After being honest with myself about what would need to be done to the car to achieve my initial goal, that goal was changed. Or the direction of the project. The new goal is to bring the car back to it’s former glory and then some.

The car is Torch Red, 82k miles, clean title.

The car is supposed to have a built engine by way of Eagle Stroker Kit with DSS -15cc pistons, ported heads, cams, BBK TB, K&N intake pipe. Exhaust is BBK LTs, H Pipe, Flowmaster catback. The 3650 is supposed to be rebuilt with Hurst Shifter and a Centerforce clutch. Rear is supposed to be built with 3.73s. Suspension is Viking Coilovers in the rear, QA1 K, A Arms, and Coilovers in the front. There is a dyno sheet which shows the car making 330hp and 340lb/ft.

There is a leak at the oil filter adapter and power steering pump. There were codes for LT fuel trims being rich and evap leak. The TB coupler and clamps were trashed. Paint is trash and the interior is weather beaten. Also, has 95 Cobra R Reps on it. The car has the 04 emblems on it; no clue why.

I bought this because I found myself going overboard on my GT convertible which was initially supposed to be built to make 400hp and be fun to take the wife and daughter out to eat, local trips, cruises, and such.

This Mach 1 will allow me to ease up a bit on the GT and make it more appealing for my wife and daughter to ride in while I focus on the Mach 1 being faster.

The new plan is best described as a Restonod project. Small interior upgrades, body mods but nothing too crazy, suspension, trans, and boost.

Hope you all enjoy this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

joe65

Reaction score
hell yeah. Mach 1's are one of my favorite sn95s. I watch for them all the time here.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Nice looking mach. I would pull the pan or run a scope down the cylinders to see if internals can be verified. 8's is going to take some hp with the extra weight and manual transmission. You will probably want to ditch the c-clip axles as well to be on the safe side.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I do like the Mach1 mustangs, I would like to pick up another one day
that car looks good and sounds great

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't know many ford or mustang dudes that would not take a mach1. Hell it could be pink with purple stripes and I would take it but now a competition orange/black I would do dirt dirty things for.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
Thanks you guys. I will be taking some parts from the GT build and using on this and backing off the GT build a bit; not too much though. Still going to shoot for over 550hp but make it more enjoyable for the wife and daughter.

I will post more video going over the car, more in depth plans, what is happening with the car, along with lots of pictures posted.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score

Update on the Mach 1 and a walk around.

The car has leaks at the power steering pump, lines, and oil pan. I have a bunch of parts for the build. Time to see what happens or blow shit up. Either way it will be a ton of fun.

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I think you should restore the mach 1 and build a different car for 8 second 1/4's but that's just me. If I was going to build a drag purpose mustang it wouldn't be based from a cobra or mach 1. I'd use a worn out GT or even v6 platform since your aiming for 8's its going to require some serious suspension/power adder/beefed up internals to match up. To each their own. I'll support whatever decision you decide to pursue tho! ;)

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
I think you should restore the mach 1 and build a different car for 8 second 1/4's but that's just me. If I was going to build a drag purpose mustang it wouldn't be based from a cobra or mach 1. I'd use a worn out GT or even v6 platform since your aiming for 8's its going to require some serious suspension/power adder/beefed up internals to match up. To each their own. I'll support whatever decision you decide to pursue tho! ;)

While my goal is 8’s this is not going to be a gutted and hacked race car. If I don’t make 8’s it is not a big deal.

While weight savings is on the list it will be done by way of Coilovers, k member, co trip arms, rear seat delete and race seats for the track only, carbon fiber hood, drag wheels for the track only.

When not being prepped to go to the strip the car will have the stock seats front and back, full stereo, street wheels.

If and that is a big IF, my YouTube channel starts making me money I will pick up a 96-04 GT and go full retard on it. Lots of weight reduction, Coyote and 6R80 swap, turbo, blah blah blah.

For all intents and purposes, the Mach will be a street car. It will just be a very capable and not original Mach. It is not getting repainted red, not sorry.

joe65

Reaction score
turbo? You've heard of Andrew Lavender? he runs a 2v but an On3 turbo set up would get you there....probably. he's running 8s.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
turbo? You've heard of Andrew Lavender? he runs a 2v but an On3 turbo set up would get you there....probably. he's running 8s.

He is local to me, I watch all his videos.

Here is the thing, to really take advantage of a turbo you need an auto. I do not want to go auto with this car. I know an auto will help any car but my plan is a Vortech. Now, I am not saying I will never go turbo. There is a possibility.

Again, if the car goes bottom 9’s and can do it consistently then I will be happy not hitting 8’s. There is a limit to what I plan to do to the car. Where the limits get me is where it will be.

Besides, it will be a blast. Have you ever seen anyone unhappy while drag racing? I have not.

Also, this is my interpretation of what a street car that is built to drag race. I know some are willing to go farther and I follow some of those channels and builds and love them. But it is not what I want with this car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
Not a big update, in order to clear some garage space, I swapped wheels. The car came with 95 Cobra R Reps and I swapped with SVE Drifts. Fronts are wrapped in Toyo T1 Sports and the rears are R888s.

IMG_9019.jpg

I should have some more updates soon. We will see what the engine looks like.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
So an update on the Mach 1.

The “built rear” probably only consists of upgraded gears as the axles are stock. Some idiot removed the slip joint at the catback and welded it, the Viking rears need replaced as the settings changes are suspect at best (rebound on passenger side won’t budge and the is no stop to the negative side on the compression), I found cut wires, and I broke the plastic piece near the lug on the fuse box in the engine bay and it still didn’t loosen.

I think I may have a fuel system issue. It is supposed to have an Aeromotive Stealth Fuel System but data logging shows fuel pressure drop to low 30s sometimes when getting on it and it bogs like the cut you feel with traction control on and it seeing slip.

Last, the driver’s side license plate bulb will not illuminate. I replaced the bulb and still nothing. Gotta do some wire tracing. The passenger side window switch does not work.

I did some upgrades and started working on fixing some wiring. I really need to get my garage cleaned to where both the Mach 1 and GT can be parked inside. I hesitate to do too much at this time due to not wanting the car torn apart over night.

joe65

Reaction score
He is local to me, I watch all his videos.

Here is the thing, to really take advantage of a turbo you need an auto. I do not want to go auto with this car. I know an auto will help any car but my plan is a Vortech. Now, I am not saying I will never go turbo. There is a possibility.

Again, if the car goes bottom 9’s and can do it consistently then I will be happy not hitting 8’s. There is a limit to what I plan to do to the car. Where the limits get me is where it will be.

Besides, it will be a blast. Have you ever seen anyone unhappy while drag racing? I have not.

Also, this is my interpretation of what a street car that is built to drag race. I know some are willing to go farther and I follow some of those channels and builds and love them. But it is not what I want with this car.

agree mostly but i'm old school and just don't care to use an Auto. i know all the arguments....
but, what about this guy?

Oh and i'm pretty pumped, looks like i'll be taking possission of an 03 Azure Mach next week.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
agree mostly but i'm old school and just don't care to use an Auto. i know all the arguments....
but, what about this guy?

Oh and i'm pretty pumped, looks like i'll be taking possission of an 03 Azure Mach next week.

There are definitely things you can do to get a turbo to work well at the track with a stick. Look at TT Minion. That car is badass! I just don’t want to do those things.

My problem is wanting a race car time slip with a street car. Depending on how a few things go this next year or so, I may end up with a 3rd car that I do end up going full blown race car with that is only a street car in the sense of having working lights and such.

I did order about another $2k in parts to add to the $8k or so in parts that were slated for my GT but going on the Mach 1.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online