2004 Bolt ons and Cams... Dyno Results... Now What?

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So far thanks for helping me get my car to where it is right now. I have another thread where I spent a while troubleshooting why the car was down on power... including clogged rear cats, clogged 10 year old air filter, old 87 octane in the tank and no tune actually loaded to the car.

Current Mods:
-BBK CAI
-BBK 75mm TB
-TrickFlow Plenum
-TrickFlow Intake Manifold
-Steeda Pulleys
-Crower Stage 2 cams
-rear cat deletes
-Custom X-pipe with Flowmaster 44 ctaback
-SCT Tuned
-4.10 Gears

The car put down 249hp and 248 Torque. Corrected SAE (Smoothing factor 5)

Was I ever surprised (let down). The car feels like 280-300hp and like its a low low 13 second car. I've had many low 300rwhp cars and this one is right in the mix IMO... but the numbers don't lie.

Where do I go from here. Why are my numbers so low? The cams are small, they were degree'd.

The only thing I can see to change is:
-MAF ??
-Add headers, and 2 high flow cats
-adjust tune as it was at 11.8AFR... my tuner who is awesome to work with is already making the adjustments needed... his tune felt beast so I'm excited for the updates.

Where should I be with my mods? I thought 270 bare minimum and was hoping 292-298.

I think we can pull 8-10hp out of the tune and maybe another 8-10 from highflow cats and headers.... (it has the factory front cats still)

I also need to address the wicked rev hang with this car and get a IAC restrictor plate.

chris91

Reaction score
I'd throw some long tubes and a offroad h pipe on it and I bet it picks up a lot more than you expect. The stock MAF is fine for now.

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Got the updated tune file, very noticeable difference again. Likely another couple horsepower gained there. I am going to go back to the dyno later this fall.

Before then I am going to replace the flowmasters with straight through magnapacks and delete the other two factory cats for sure. I'm also not so sure this car has the U/D crank pulley installed...the current one is rusty pretty much and I think all the aftermarket crank pulleys were aluminum or billet.... the waterpump and alternator pulley are shiny polished aluminum ??

Outside of this I wont do long tubes but I will do BBK shorties or Bassani Mid lengths. I don't want the issue of having to remove the headers again to do the clutch down the road or whatever.

I'd really like to see this car put down a lot more power.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen Flows lose power on the dyno on multiple cars over the years.

Mid pipes are good for a gain over the stock for sure.

What trick flow intake are you using? That could be hurting you over a stock PI at this power level.

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
It came with the car. Trickflow stamps the manifold underneath so id have to remove it to see which one it is but im sure its the one for 1500-6500rpms.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Don't be let down, you basically have no performance e modifications... a manifold won't help of the engine won't move more air...

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Don't be let down, you basically have no performance e modifications... a manifold won't help of the engine won't move more air...

I have no performance modifications? I have every bolt on except heads and headers.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Just because the dyno claimed hp rating doesnt mean its true. 20rwhp difference in dynos, so dont focus on it. The track is the better indicator of power.

If the track is not your thing, but you still want that hp bragging rights, check other customers from the same dyno to see if their hp #'s fall low also.

What are your plans with the car?

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no performance modifications? I have every bolt on except heads and headers.

What he means is that usually when you need an intake its after you already have ported heads, larger cams, and higher compression, or higher boost. An intake manifold with bolt ons with stock heads N/A isn't going to gain much if at all.

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Just because the dyno claimed hp rating doesnt mean its true. 20rwhp difference in dynos, so dont focus on it. The track is the better indicator of power.

If the track is not your thing, but you still want that hp bragging rights, check other customers from the same dyno to see if their hp #'s fall low also.

What are your plans with the car?

True. I have heard everyone dyno's low at this shop. It does feel pretty quick but likely a mid 13-second car.

Pans for the car, I'm not sure. I had considered bassani mid length headers and just drive it. Its almost time to park the car for the season, so I'll take a look in the spring and decide if its a keeper or time for something different.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Where do I go from here. Why are my numbers so low?

Well you could add all the parts you mentioned and you still probably won't break 300. You should look into forced induction, if you are adamant about remaining N/A you need to sit down and realize that you will never make good NA hp with a 2v (read: without a ton ton ton of work and or money. Not cost efficient at all). If you want a fast car and don't care about numbers look at steep gears, weight reduction and suspension.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Aaaaaa,.....wrong...lol

True the n/a modular will not make hp like a forced modular, but great hp can be make for its cu.in in n/a form in a 2v. Porting is not necessary. You gotta be crafty about the engine build. 350rwhp can easily be achieved n/a with minimal work.

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Aaaaaa,.....wrong...lol

True the n/a modular will not make hp like a forced modular, but great hp can be make for its cu.in in n/a form in a 2v. Porting is not necessary. You gotta be crafty about the engine build. 350rwhp can easily be achieved n/a with minimal work.

Heads and headers really are the only things I am missing, but I don't think they will get me to 350rwhp. Maybe on a certain dyno, they might hit that. If I'm at 250 right now, heads and headers might get me to 300. It was my mistake, I honestly thought this car would put down some serious numbers, not mid 200's. I'll play with it a bit and see if I want to keep her and put in more $$$ or move on to something else.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Heads and headers really are the only things I am missing, but I don't think they will get me to 350rwhp. Maybe on a certain dyno, they might hit that. If I'm at 250 right now, heads and headers might get me to 300. It was my mistake, I honestly thought this car would put down some serious numbers, not mid 200's. I'll play with it a bit and see if I want to keep her and put in more $$$ or move on to something else.

Don't be confused by low HP numbers. You can bring one of these cars into 11's with ~350HP, so don't get to hung up on power numbers.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So far thanks for helping me get my car to where it is right now. I have another thread where I spent a while troubleshooting why the car was down on power... including clogged rear cats, clogged 10 year old air filter, old 87 octane in the tank and no tune actually loaded to the car.

Current Mods:
-BBK CAI
-BBK 75mm TB
-TrickFlow Plenum
-TrickFlow Intake Manifold
-Steeda Pulleys
-Crower Stage 2 cams
-rear cat deletes
-Custom X-pipe with Flowmaster 44 ctaback
-SCT Tuned
-4.10 Gears

Bbk is garbage with an aluminum tube, that is a massive heat sink.

75mm tb ok that will help

Plenum - fine, also will help

Manifold 100% not needed. I made 304/310 with a pi manifold.....

Pulleys work well as paper weights

Cams, good. Not a fan of off the shelf sticks but ok, these will help.

Cat and muffler...never seen an exhaust MAKE power, free up what there yes but make... no

Sct box tune ...this is the biggest issue.

4.10 gear will hurt dyno # bur can also manipulate the numbers heavily.

Not being a dick but helping you see where the power #'s went

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Bbk is garbage with an aluminum tube, that is a massive heat sink.

75mm tb ok that will help

Plenum - fine, also will help

Manifold 100% not needed. I made 304/310 with a pi manifold.....

Pulleys work well as paper weights

Cams, good. Not a fan of off the shelf sticks but ok, these will help.

Cat and muffler...never seen an exhaust MAKE power, free up what there yes but make... no

Sct box tune ...this is the biggest issue.

4.10 gear will hurt dyno # bur can also manipulate the numbers heavily.

Not being a dick but helping you see where the power #'s went

Its custom tuned using SCT not the canned tune.

Intake manifold I realize did nothing for this car but kill torque and push the power band further into the rev range.

Oh well I bought the car with all the mods, I added the custom tune. Like I said I might to Bassani Mid lengths.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You have a track near you? Get a few passes in and see where you are really at. Like everyone says dyno's are just numbers and can be so different between one to another. With the cams I would think you would be @270rwhp on most dyno's.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
The pi manifold will be the most beneficial for a very light street setup

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Yep I have been planning to hit the track. Had a fair bit of rain but I might try to head out tonight or next weekend. I also expected 270rwhp bare minimum.

For what I paid for this car I think I am happy to keep it and get a bit more out of it. Bassani mid lenths and possibly trickflow heads are what I am thinking of adding over winter. If anyone else has any recommendations let me know. I am so boggled that this intake manifold is essentially worthless.
You guys think I should swap it to the PI intake manifold?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online