2004 v6 battery light likes to flash?

stackedstangs

Reaction score
Ok so I have no clue why my battery light is flashing/stay on. The alternator is hardly 5 months old and the battery was replaced last july. Ground wire was replaced in july as well. Everything is bone stock. I'm going to change out the plugs and wires this weekend and see if that helps. What else could be the problem?

joekd

Reaction score
Plugs and wires won't affect a battery light unless they are causing it to run so badly that the engine is barely running

Double check your terminals first then if those are fine check with a multimeter to see volts bofore starting and while running

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The only time I ever had the battery light flashing at me was when I had my old V6. The alternator was about to die.

Regardless of whether it's only 5 months old or not, they can go at any time. You can always go and have it tested. The Zone will test it for free.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
is your belt slipping?
do you have under-drive pulleys?
is your engine grounded? (on the 4.6Ls this is on the drivers side frame-to-engine)
was the alternator brand new or remanufactured?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Battery light flashing=misfire. Change your coil, plugs and wires. then get back with us.

JKady

Reaction score
I thought the CEL flashing meant misfire???
It does.

The battery light's only job is to indicate trouble with the charging system and is in no way related to the engine performance side of things, that' what the CEL is for.

When does the light flash? Can you create a set of conditions that make it flash?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lmao what was I smoking! My apologies. For some reason I thought it was Service Engine Soon on.

Inspect your serpentine belt, make sure it's tight, go get your alternator and battery tested. Auto parts stores can do it for free.

OP
OP
stackedstangs

stackedstangs

Reaction score
I had the alt. tested and they said it was fine. This happened about 5 months ago and so I am going to put my money on the alt. The terminals and the belt are all tight.

No aftermarket pulleys

next time the bat light it on I'm going to take a multi-meter to it and see what its putting out.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The zone can also test the alternator while it's on the car. Might be worth at least having them check it out if the problem persists. They can die at any time.

OP
OP
stackedstangs

stackedstangs

Reaction score
alt is putting 13.79 volts with everything on.. there was not a battery light on when i got it tested today.

1997gtRioRed

Reaction score
most on car testers dont test amerage output, or they estimate it. a good load tester like an old vat 40 would do the trick. it might be cutting out under heavy load, possible bad internal parts that randomly fail, maybe even a short somehwere in the car that sometimes makes contact. theres really a ton of things it 'could' be. plug wires shouldn't cause this unless they are routed wrong and are very worn and are causing interference, but that would normally be all the time. i saw that on a suburban once. customer put on new wires and routed one right in line with a wire going to the cluster which caused the needles to twitch slightly.

what brand alternator?

also check alternator B+ wire. might be some green cancer in there

just remembered, we had almost the exact same problem on my moms minivan, 2000 windstar. random battery light. 2 advance auto alternators later and we threw on a motorcraft reman. problem gone.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
You're battery light is coming on because of a charging system issue. Check all grounds, battery terminals and get the battery load tested. Do you have an aftermarket stereo system?

OP
OP
stackedstangs

stackedstangs

Reaction score
I endend up grounding out the alternator to get a free replacement and now the light doesn't come on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online