2007 Mustang GT road noise??? -UPDATED... NEED HELP-

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I know a few people on here own s197s and obviously many of you have alot of general car knowledge that expands beyond our SN95s... So I hope someone can help me here.

Dad has a 2007 GT, Automatic, drivetrain is basically stock with the exception of a CAI, TBS, and BMR lower control arms...

My dad drives his car 365. He frequently goes up into Vermont in the mountains and snow with the car. He doesn't beat on it too much and about 90% of the 130,000 miles on the clock are highway miles. To stress how much of a highway car this is, he just put his first set of pads and rotors on the car at 126,000 miles. He is on his 3rd set of tires.

Started a few months ago towards the end of summer, the car would almost creek when you got on the gas at all, but when at speed or slowing down it would make no noise, seemed like when you got on the gas and the weight transferred to the rear is when it made the noise...

Fast forward a month ago, we had our neighbor install brakes, rotors, pads, and replaced the rear calipers because one of them decided to lock up and didn't work at all. We also replaced the shocks and struts thinking, after almost 130k they where plenty due and may have been causing the noise... Sure enough they where all shot to hell, but the noise continued...

A week later my dad brought the car to a good friend of his who owns a local shop to get an alignment with his new tires that I had just put on, we had ordered BMR lower control arms from AM and had them install them while they had the car, my dad wanted lower control arms anyways and my neighbor thought maybe the bushings where causing the noise... got the car back, same noise.

Fast forward a week after that, wheel bearings went. Had neighbor replace them just in time to get the car back so my dad could drive up to Boston for work. He came home 2 days later and for the last 10 or so miles he heard a grinding noise coming from the rear. He babied the car home and brought it to my neighbor, jacked it up, sure enough, the seals that we used where faulty and the fluid all drained out. Brought the seals back, they replaced them for free, however we had to now replace the axles and gears on our own...

Installed Alloy axles, and Ford Racing 3.31 gears (that's what he had stock, we wanted 3.73 but didn't want to bother with a speed cal), replaced the bearings AGAIN, and checked the fluid once a day for a week to make sure that didn't happen again... Neighbor just got done yesterday because he was waiting on Ford for a special bolt that he bent that supposedly alsoways breaks when its removed? idk...

So yea we got the car back yesterday... Same ****ing noise. So we can rule out the following:
Shocks and struts
tires
axles
gears
bearings
lower control arms

I think it may be the springs and something to do with the isolators that is causing the noise... I tried taking a video of the noise but it isn't loud enough to be picked up on my phone over regular road noise. But it is there, and it is annoying.

So what else could it possibly be? What am i over looking here??

Side note: We jacked up the rear end last night and gave it some gad trying to figure out the noise for 3 minutes or so, I recorded it, and we noticed one of my dads (BRAND NEW :mad:) tires was out of round??? How does that happen? The tire has no more than 300 miles on it... I swapped one of my tires that is still on my moms car onto his car and drove it around the block, still has the noise, so it isn't the out of round tire that is causing it but that is still strange... [video=youtube;y76qKm_AJzk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y76qKm_AJzk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Okay so scratch that creeking noise during acceleration... That seems to have disappeared. When my dad took the car around the block he said there was still a noise and I assumed it was the same one. NO. It is an entirely different one. I am glad the original noise went away but this one sounds much much worse. It is a constant noise coming from the rear of the car at any speed over 10 mph. If I get on the gas it gets loader, if I let the car coast the noise is still there but is just not as obvious. It sounds really nasty and I honestly can't even describe it other than like a rubbing/grinding noise. Here is a video I just took, my dad is in mass on business today and messaged me and told me to take it for a spin to see what I thought, I pulled out of my driveway and went down the side street next to my house, at the end of that street I stopped a stop sign and pulled the phone out to record because there is no way I can describe this.

[video=youtube;y7Zne-VHoJI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Zne-VHoJI[/video]

My dad thought it might be his driveshaft.. but if there was anything wrong with his driveshaft wouldn't it be vibrating and not be making that noise? I wanna say its a u joint or something... Maybe my neighbor installed the axles wrong or something and its causing them to make that noise? Really could use input on this.....

For the record I babied it back home after I ended the video.. Didn't want to push it any more after I made the comment that it sounded like something was spinning.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are you driving on a street, as in pavement? I hear random noise like rocks hitting the underside of the chassis - is that the noise you are talking about, or are you on a dirt road?

chris91

Reaction score
Almost sounds like the gears were setup wrong. Can't really tell much in the video while on my phone though.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
[MENTION=9338]chris91[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15705]mcglsr2[/MENTION]
I watched the video back on my laptop. You can here the sound better right after I stop accelerating, the sound hangs for a second and it slowly decreases in volume.

Everything in the video before the second turn signal is neighborhood roads with the speed limit of 25... There's a few pit holes I hit and the sound of rocks is rocks and salt from the road being kicked up. After the second turn signal I am on a main road with a speed limit of 45, and my last turn signal I turn onto a 35 mph main road.
It's a rubbing/grinding sound and not the debris hitting the car.

Sent via swagPhone 5.0 using Tapatalk

chris91

Reaction score
From the video it really sounds like the gears have the wrong backlash. Mine sounds like that and its been fine for over a year now. Some gearsets are noisey also.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll listen again when I can get to my headphones - at work now.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Brought the car to my dads friend's shop so they could get it up on a lift to look at it... They thought it was driveshaft related... Will updated when we find out what it is.

Hopefully it's a simply fix. It sucks normally with me not having my car on the road and having to borrow one of my parents cars all the time, but now we've been down to 1 car for pretty much a month and man does it suck. I haven't gotten out of the house in awhile and the shitty weather limits what I can get done on my car. Sucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online