200a alternator installation

Chenn2389

Reaction score
Hey All,

I installed a powermaster 200a alternator from summit racing. I am having issues with the voltage fluctuating, causing the lights to dim, and idle to dip.

Before I installed the new 200a alternator I replaced my wiring. 4ga power wire from the alternator to the power control module, 4ga power wire from the power control module to the battery, 4ga power wire from the battery to the starter, 4ga ground wire from the battery to the driver side block, 4ga ground wire from the alternator to the passenger side block, a 4ga ground wire from block to frame on both sides, a 8ga ground wire from the batter to the radiator support where the headlights and cooling fan ground.

I was having the voltage issues when I installed the 200a alternator. I put the 130a stock alternator back on and have no issues. This lead me to believe I had a defective voltage regulator in the new 200a unit and summit racing exchanged it for me. I am still having the issue. This is pointing me to a ground issue for the higher amp current.

Any Ideas?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you have the alternator off of the car it takes 3 secs for a shop to test it and they do not typically charge for it(ask first).

Is the case powder coated by chance? If so it could be keeping it from grounding to the motor. I had mine powder coated and had to scrape it off where it met to allow it to conduct.

Also no underdrive pullies by chance?

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
if you have the alternator off of the car it takes 3 secs for a shop to test it and they do not typically charge for it(ask first).

Is the case powder coated by chance? If so it could be keeping it from grounding to the motor. I had mine powder coated and had to scrape it off where it met to allow it to conduct.

Also no underdrive pullies by chance?
The case is just raw aluminum and running a ground wire from the dedicated bolt on it to the block, no underdrive pulleys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online