2013 California Smog Star Program ODB2 Cars

94mustangsvt

Reaction score
Getting conflicting answers on this, and I'm really not sure why it isn't all over the internet. With the implementation of the STAR program and computer only testing for ODB2 cars, do custom tunes automatically make ODB2 cars fail California smog?

If this is the case, I would think this would make a large majority of car enthusiasts straight out leave California and drive most dyno tuning shops out of business in this state.

I could see putting the stock tune back on some cars, but on heavily modified ones I'd think you'd risk blowing up the engine or they would run super terrible with the stock tune.

I was considering getting an ODB2 car, but definitely wouldn't if this is true. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Getting conflicting answers on this, and I'm really not sure why it isn't all over the internet. With the implementation of the STAR program and computer only testing for ODB2 cars, do custom tunes automatically make ODB2 cars fail California smog?

If this is the case, I would think this would make a large majority of car enthusiasts straight out leave California and drive most dyno tuning shops out of business in this state.

I could see putting the stock tune back on some cars, but on heavily modified ones I'd think you'd risk blowing up the engine or they would run super terrible with the stock tune.

I was considering getting an ODB2 car, but definitely wouldn't if this is true. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

The computer will detect that the ECU has been flashed and modified, and it will log in all of the date either you revert it to stock or not. As far as failing, i do not know.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Does it say anywhere that messing with the cars computer will cause you to fail? Remember they are testing for emissions. If you have a tune and still pass, I don't see the problem. Last time I checked it didn't say anything about altering a cars computer as being illegal. Then again I don't really pay attention to the rules regarding the matter as I avoid it all together.

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
I just got my 98 smogged. Very built N/A engine. Everything on top of the motor is BBK and so is the exhaust. It has a custom tune by Full Throttle Kustoms. I had to take it to a 5 star station this year. All I did was take the no cat X pipe off the car and install the factory mid-pipe. I used my SCT4 to put the stock tune back in. Car sailed right through and the smog guy did not say a thing.

Jake

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Thats another thing. It really depends on the tech. You can have CARB legal parts and pass emissions better than a prius running on the battery and fail the visual. All i know is that the test machine can detect a tune and can detect whether or not the ECU has been modified. Will it fail you? Probably not because your cars smog testing will detect that it is within the emission levels.

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
That is very true. In the past I have had to shop for a smog shop that had a brain and knew what they were looking for. As smog laws here in California grow in complexity it is only going to get worse.

Jake

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I only had to smog my 94 for one year in az. I considered telling the kid that the obd2 port he found was useless but then I realized that it would be much more fun to watch and see what he does. The cars passed after he fiddled with his checker thingy for a few mins. I had to laugh when I got my truck done as well years earlier. I knew that for some reason there was a hole on top of the gas tank because you could see the top of the tank get wet between the cab/bed when you over filled it. So I didn't over fill it but the next year it failed emissions because they said the gas cap was leaking. I thought that was funny because of the hole but ok I went to vatozone and bought a new gas cap. When they asked if I wanted a sealed or vented cap I guessed a sealed one since they said it was leaking? I went back 20 mins later and the truck passed even though the top of the tank still had a leak.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online