2016 GT350

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like that they finally caved and went with magnetic dampers. That IMO has been what was keeping the Z28 out in front of the previous Mustangs on track.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It gives a decent description in the article and how it differs from what we are used to in a V8.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I'll be that guy.....can someone explain what a flat plane crank is?
Flat plan vs crossplane

In crossplane you have 1,2 up. 3,4 to one side, 5,6 on the other side and 7,8 down (I believe). It creates a cross when looked from above. The moments aren't balanced so counterweights and mass are added. It does rotate smoothly with little vibration.

On a flat plane crank all cylinders are in a single plane. So 1,2,7,8 are up high. 3,4,5,6 are down low. Since its setup like that its well balanced, you can use a small crank and don't need to add counterweights. It can create vibration though.

That's my understanding.

Engineering explained has a good YouTube video on it. Had to took it up earlier.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Flatplane cranks were the first type of crankshafts back in the modelT because of simplicity. Cadillac invented the crossplane roughly around the 30's. Flatplane will fire 2cylinders at once and is set up to fire every 180° of crank rotation. 720° ÷ 4= 180°. While the crossplane fires one piston every 90° and is opposing bank fire. 720°÷8=90°.

When balanced right, flatplane can over come the engines own forces holding it back with sheer RPM's. When a head can flow what seems like an infinite amount of cfm but power gains are marginal, in steps the flatplane! But to get one to be balanced to run smooth in a "V" is tricky.

Volkswagen beetles, subaru boxer engines, alot of 4cylinders all carry flatplane cranks

With the proper cams, a crossplane can be made to mimic a 180° double piston fire. The firing will be opposed bank and has been done multiple times, better known as a BIG BANG V8

gofastbobby

Reaction score
flat_plane_vs_cross_plane_crankshaft.jpg

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
From speedhunters

From the moment we first learned about the new Mustang, there’s been much speculation about what Ford would bring to the table when it came to the specialty versions of the car. With the debut of the new Shelby GT350 at the Los Angeles Auto Show this week, the wait has come to an end.
ShelbyGT350_02_HR-800x533.jpg
As the lineage behind its name suggests, the GT350 is designed to be an extremely focused Mustang for the track rather than a boulevard bruiser like Dodge’s Hellcat Challenger. And as we can now see, Ford has done a lot more than just add a few go-fast bits to a standard Mustang GT.
ShelbyGT350_28_HR-800x533.jpg
Power on the GT350 comes from a naturally aspirated 5.2-liter V8 which uses a flat-plane crankshaft for more power and quicker response. Output hasn’t been finalized, but Ford is saying horsepower will top 500, making this the most powerful naturally aspirated engine the company has ever built.
ShelbyGT350_04_HR-800x533.jpg
Along with its exotic powerplant, the GT350 has also been designed to take full advantage of the Mustang’s new platform. The chassis has been stiffened up, the ride height has been lowered, and MagneRide adjustable dampers feature. In proper track car fashion, the 19-inch wheels are shod with grippy Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and braking is handled by 6-piston and 4-piston Brembos in the front and rear respectively.
ShelbyGT350_04_HR1-800x533.jpg
The cockpit of the GT350 includes unique Recaro seats, a flat-bottom steering wheel and upgraded gauges. There’s also a driver control interface that allows adjustment of the suspension, brakes, steering, throttle and more.
ShelbyGT350_08_HR-800x533.jpg
All of that is rounded off by a thoroughly tweaked exterior that includes brand new bodywork from the windshield forward. Other goodies include a functional rear diffuser and a ducted belly pan.
Ford hasn’t published any pricing or release date information yet, but initial impressions say this thing will be a more than worthy successor to the legendary Shelby GT350 of the 1960s.
We want to drive it oh so badly!

Mustanger

Reaction score
THIS is my kind of dream car! I prefer the road emphasis bias over the ultimate drag car type. Well actually a combo of both but will always sacrifice drag capability to have better road/track ability...'cause I drive the curvy roads everyday but can't drag everyday...(well there ARE redlights I guess! LOL)

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
and of course the best about the flat plane crank... 8200rpm redline. can't wait to hear what this thing sounds like wide open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online