2020 SCCA CAM Class Rules Changes for 1994-2004 Mustangs

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

The SCCA has announced the 2020 CAM Class rules and there are some big changes for 1994-2004 Mustangs!

I’ve got a video about the changes and what they mean for our cars up on my YouTube channel.

Here’s the link:

Last year, I created the Warhorse Racing channel to inspire people to get their 1979-2004 Mustangs out to autocross events. I’ve been building the channel into a comprehensive resource for anyone looking to start autocrossing.

In addition to the 2020 CAM Rules Changes video, you will find videos about:

*WHY 1979-2004 MUSTANGS ARE THE BEST AUTOCROSS CARS EVER BUILT.

*COMMON AUTOCROSS ELEMENTS and how to get through them as fast as possible.

*The BENEFITS OF LOOKING AHEAD and identifying key cones on course.

*How ELIMINATING BRAKING can chop chunks of time off your runs.

*Why DURATION OF ACCELERATION is incredibly important.

*ADDING ADJUSTABILITY with adjustable shocks, struts and a rear sway bar.

*SOLID REAR AXLE UPGRADES to increase grip and limit Quadra-bind.

*FRONT SUSPENSION UPGRADES that will help with turn-in and steering feel.

*CHOOSING THE RIGHT RIM & TIRE SIZE to get as much grip as possible.

*FITTING 315 TIRES FRONT & REAR on a New Edge Mustang.

*PROPER SEATING & STEERING POSITION.

*MULTIPLE AUTOCROSS RESULTS VIDEOS that show where I’m able to find speed on course (and where I make mistakes).

And there are several videos that showcase and review all the performance parts I used to build my 2004 IRS-swapped V6… a 220 hp Mustang that frequently beats cars with much more power.

If my little V6 can win trophies, your cars can too!

The 2020 autocross season will be here soon. If you’ve ever wanted to try autocrossing, now is the best time!

If you like what you see on my channel, please subscribe. If you have any questions, please ask.

Here’s the link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOEWzAT17XoeGzSWysT1NXw/videos

Thanks for watching.

OP
OP
W

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
It's a ton of fun. It's inexpensive, the people are great and it's an easy way to get into performance driving.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Without even thinking about autocross, since I got it my stock 98 GT a few yeears go I upgraded with Koni STR.T struts, camber kit, Vogtland Sport lowering springs, staggered 18s with Sumitomo summer tires, Hellwig sway bars, Cobra brakes, subframe connectors, triangulated rear shock brace, tubular rear control arms. The car is in better shape than the driver!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Without even thinking about autocross, since I got it my stock 98 GT a few yeears go I upgraded with Koni STR.T struts, camber kit, Vogtland Sport lowering springs, staggered 18s with Sumitomo summer tires, Hellwig sway bars, Cobra brakes, subframe connectors, triangulated rear shock brace, tubular rear control arms. The car is in better shape than the driver!

You have a good start and would enjoy autocross. The only thing that is a little more challenging in your setup is the staggered wheel and tire sizes. It throws the steering off a bit in and out of corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
That car would be great for autocross! Yes, a staggered setup isn't ideal (it creates understeer), but don't let that stop you from giving autocross a try. Any Mustang, with any level of mods, will be fine for autocross. People assume they need a totally built car to start autocrossing. That's not true. There are classes for stock, mild and wild Mustangs. You will love seeing what your 98 GT can do out on course!

PinkieT

Reaction score
So with my staggered FR500s, I'll look bitchin' knocking down those cones! Rotors are drilled and slotted. One other easy mod I will look into later is better brake pads.

OP
OP
W

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Brake pads are a very personal choice. I prefer Hawk HP-Plus pads because I like a lot of initial bite. You want to use the brakes as little as possible, so being able to just tap them for a split-second to settle the nose of the car or slow it down helps. More time on course will help you determine what type of pads you prefer.

delling3

Reaction score
I have some interest in autocross, but zero experience or knowledge about it. You mentioned how it is inexpensive, and easy to get started, and how great the people are. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case around my area. I have a basically stock 96GT Convertible. Would this car even be eligible without a roll cage, etc.? I have yet to find anyone who is willing to answer even basic questions like this.

ReplicaR

Reaction score

If I may suggest something, if you can find another outfit that runs enthusiast autoX events (run what you brought, no classes), I would suggest to start there. SCCA is a nice place to compete, however you only get 4 runs during the competition days, and then you have to stand for hour and change on course, picking up cones, and dodging other cars. It just isn't the best use of half a day in my opinion. As an example, we have a track day organizer here in SoCal called Speed Ventures. They have an autoX event, during which you get like 20 runs, and don't have to work the course, for only a bit more than SCCA event. For a beginner, I think it's a much better place to start.

Having said everything above, I am grateful for my time with SCCA. It force me to step up my driving skills significantly, learn new things. SoCal for some reason has the highest concentration of SCCA National Champions, so being forced to compete against people like that made me become a much better driver, and I am thankful to them for that. For example, I competed in SCCA F-Street class in my G37S sedan. In the same class, I was up against a Regional Champion in E92 M3 Competition package, and multi-time National Champion in 2016 Camaro SS. Both of those cars had weight advantage, wheel size advantage, power advantage, and of course skill advantage at the beginning. By the end of the season, if I was within 1 second of their run, I would consider that job done, and would often run in top 3.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You have a good start and would enjoy autocross. The only thing that is a little more challenging in your setup is the staggered wheel and tire sizes. It throws the steering off a bit in and out of corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
but with the suckitmoto tires it really doesn't matter much

OP
OP
W

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
I have some interest in autocross, but zero experience or knowledge about it. You mentioned how it is inexpensive, and easy to get started, and how great the people are. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case around my area. I have a basically stock 96GT Convertible. Would this car even be eligible without a roll cage, etc.? I have yet to find anyone who is willing to answer even basic questions like this.
There are SCCA clubs and non-SCCA clubs. I have run in both, in two different states and I don't have a roll bar/cage in my 2000 GT convertible. Every local club is different and some may have different requirements, but you should be fine without a roll bar/cage. Some clubs may require you to run with the top down. My local clubs have detailed websites with all of their requirements, but some small clubs in other areas don't. There should be monthly meetings you can attend to get more information.

SCCA clubs usually do 4 runs. Non-SCCA clubs often do more (and their events usually cost less).

Part of autocross is the fact that it is a volunteer event. No one gets paid. That's why people have to work the course, etc. Some clubs are run by 3 or 4 people. That can be the reason that a club's website doesn't get updated frequently, or people don't respond to emails. In that case, checking out a monthly meeting is the best way to get in touch with the staff.

You can check on www.motorsportreg.com to find events near you. There's a filter that lets you select only autocross events.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I agree 100 % with Dmitry.
Start with your local crew, SCCA is a pain when 300 cars show up.
Get some snow tires, a stock car and try dirt cross.

searay86

Reaction score
I agree with ReplicaR on finding a way to get seat time. When it comes down to it the nut holding the steering wheel it the slowest mod lmao. My local scca gets us minimum 7 or 8 runs a day so it is possible. And for novices my biggest piece of advice is, more stock the better. I raced 2 seasons on all seasons just so I learned how to mustard every little bit of traction before switching to re71rs. The course comes at ya fast, slower the better. I see so many newbies DNFing every run cuz they think they know it all in their street raced termi

OP
OP
W

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
I'm a Novice Coordinator for 2 local clubs. I instruct at every event and help run at least two Novice Schools every season. The most common misconceptions are that you need a heavily-modified car to even show up and you need autocross tires when you start out.

You will learn more about driving behind the wheel of an under-prepped car on street tires than you will ever learn in a fully-prepped CAM car. Good suspension makes up for driving mistakes; good tires cover up driving mistakes. The barrier to entry for autocross isn't (and should never be) having a race car. The whole point is that it's something just about anyone in any car can do on the weekend to learn how to be a better driver.

Seat time is the best mod you can make. I give my students this example: A K-member and coil-overs can cost about $1,000. That money would pay for 3 seasons of local events! That amount of seat time will get you faster than a K-member and coil-overs ever will.

I started on Nitto NT555 tires. I switched to NT05 tires in my 2nd season. Then went to BFG Rivals when I felt like I could actually use them to their potential. But, I once drove a student's bone-stock 1999 V6 Mustang to within 2 seconds of my time on Rivals. Yes, the car is important, but knowing what to do with it out on course is more important.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I got invited to join a local sports car club that puts on its own events. From what I gather, you can get a lot of windshield time.

Hypnotik

Reaction score
In my opinion it's a good idea to progress your car with your driving. Once you're a good enough driver to understand what the car is doing and how to correct it, that's when you modify. Then you feel the difference each part makes.

PinkieT

Reaction score
In my opinion it's a good idea to progress your car with your driving. Once you're a good enough driver to understand what the car is doing and how to correct it, that's when you modify. Then you feel the difference each part makes.

I'm not gonna undo do what I've done, but I have my eye out for a set on non-staggered rims as per Warhorse's comment. That way I'll have a set for the street and a set for autocross. I can move up tires and brake pads as I learn the car and the idiot behind the wheel is less an idiot :p.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online