$2500 budget for mods, what would you do???

Jigsaw351

Reaction score
So I have a bone stock 1998 gt. It's almost flawless. Has 104 k miles and is an auto. It needs tire and that's it.
heres my dilemma, I'll have $2500 from taxes to put into the car. Do I just buy tires and keep stock rims for way cheaper then new wheels and tires so I can put the extra cash into performance parts.How would you spend it ?

Heres what I'm thinking
$500 or less for stock 245/45/17 tires or at least $1200-1500 for wheels and tires that I'm looking at
sure new wheels and tires allow me the chance to get staggered look but less money for other mods
Hers my want/ to do list
4.10 gears
lowering springs and struts
x pipe
cat back exhaust
plenum throttle body and Cai
tuner
window tint
new cd player

so would you spend less on tires to get more upgrade else where or less up grades and bigger wheels and tires ??
either way I know I'll be happy, just trying to get the biggest bang for my buck out of my taxes

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
What are your goals with the car.... why not get the 245/45r17s all around and then just a set for the back for fun times...

As far as springs are you a drag racing guy? No turning? 4cyl fox springs up front and cut 1 coil out of the back.... $70 in springs saves more for important things like shocks tiered ends and cc plate

Subframe connectors gears and rear lower control arms

Five O

Reaction score
I'd always go performance before aesthetics, personally, but that's just me-and my ride came with Cobra rims and such so I don't need anything like that. I'd go for H/C/I myself and get some power at the wheels, then worry about everything else... everything you listed can be done over time piecemeal, IMO.

RustangJeeTee

Reaction score
Explorer Rear End, Cobra Brakes, UPR Coilovers, Tubular Lower control arms with spring perch delete.

Edit: Throw in some poly bushings wherever you can put em except the upper control arms at the pumpkin.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Built rear end: 31 spline diff, axles and 4.30 gears
Wheels and tires: get a set from AM
and suspension: sr cc plates, h&r super sports, a good shock/ struts, and lcas if you can afford this..

If you're diligent in searching the for sale ads and can do the work yourself you can do all this for around 2500..

lets see.. I spent $950 on a set of rim for my car, and about $800 in suspension (bilsteins, sr cc plates and h&r super sports)

so that leaves you with about $800 for the rear end!!

OP
OP
J

Jigsaw351

Reaction score
I don't have any major goals for the car really. It's my nice weather driver. No tracks of any kind. I just want a good sounding strong running that's better then stock. Like most car guys I cnt leave it stock and I want to put my own spin on it. I will say the older I get (I'm 34) the more I notice how I like the way factory stuff looks and if I do upgrades I want them to matter. For instance as much as I love the look of 315 tires and want them I feel my car isn't worthy of tires tht size and are almost impractical because it doesn't have the power or speed to justify them other then It looking bad ass. So most likely I'll keep stock wheels for now and get more performance mods. Then I can have stock appearance yet better then stock performance

OP
OP
J

Jigsaw351

Reaction score
Also my budget is for parts only. Bonus check in March will go towards labor on whatever parts I need installed. I can do springs and shocks and basic stuff but that's it.

RichV

Reaction score
I would fix any issues 1st. Do all maintenance it needs, fluids, sensors, etc.

I would keep stock wheels, get some new performance tires. Then do suspension, springs/shocks, subframes, maybe some gears.

Honestly, maybe just dump it all into a 5/6 speed swap. If you plan keeping the car.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gears, wheels, coilovers. That way its faster, lower, and sexier.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I would fix any issues 1st. Do all maintenance it needs, fluids, sensors, etc.

I would keep stock wheels, get some new performance tires. Then do suspension, springs/shocks, subframes, maybe some gears.

Honestly, maybe just dump it all into a 5/6 speed swap. If you plan keeping the car.

I second this wise man's opinion. Nothing beats a 5 speed... Other than a 6 speed. Makes the driving experience much more enjoyable for a street car

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Better then ASSuming a 5 SPD swap will best suit his needs and blow his wad on it with little to no gain.....

And yeah its pretty safe to ASSume mustang people want to drag race..... just like its safe to ASSume on a miata forum they don't want to drag race..... ASS

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Honestly, cut springs to desired height, get some parts store replacement shocks and struts, throw some nice higher end wheels on it, and if there's enough left over do the exhaust. You'll have a blast with the car solely because of how good it will look.

RichV

Reaction score
Better then ASSuming a 5 SPD swap will best suit his needs and blow his wad on it with little to no gain.....

And yeah its pretty safe to ASSume mustang people want to drag race..... just like its safe to ASSume on a miata forum they don't want to drag race..... ASS

He asked what "you" as in, me would do with $2500. That's what I would do. And no, 'most' don't drag race, even on here.

Fkn idiot. Can you read? I made a comment to your stupid post because that's what it is, stupid.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If I were in your situation, I would get new good tires, do all maintenance as Rich said.

Do subframe connectors (MM full length) and lower control arms (I would still stick with Maximum motorsports there as well) and because it seems like you want to be a little lower on stock sort of ride, I recommend the SVE springs from Latemodel, it's a drop on the stock spring rate so you can go with stock replacement shocks/struts from the parts store.

I'd get gears, perhaps a J-Mod to the trans. Full exhaust and at least a PI intake.

OP
OP
J

Jigsaw351

Reaction score
Ya it sucks having more options then money lol. i just keep going back and forth between new wheels or spens tht money else where. One thing tht keeps me leaning towards new wheels is (although my stock gt wheels are in pretty good shape) I don't like how the front wheels seem to stick out further then the back wheels as I dnt think it looks good. Maybe it's because there is currently 275s on all four corners and that doesn't help. Is that a common thing on the sn95s, as far as the front wheels sticking out more ??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online