28 spline to 31 spline axle conversion questions

OP
OP
R

Redlines

Reaction score
So I need the 31 spline center section to do the conversion or does the conversion kit include that.
Thanks

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you will need a 31 spline diff, that kit shown above does include it. You might want to consider upgrading the diff cover while you have it off. A new one will add strength and allow you to drain it with out taking the cover off. Not sure if you are planning on doing this yourself? I did because I had a buddy that said he had done a bunch so I thought with his help and the vids I saw it would be ok. I realized pretty quick that he didn't have the experience he said he did and ended up paying for it to be done right.

OP
OP
R

Redlines

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. It's looking like it's going to be too expensive.
I just wanted my ring and pinion changed out to 3.73 and my True-Track rebuilt.
The shop said it would cost more to rebuild the true trac then it would be to just drop in a locker. They must have assumed I had 31-spline Axel's because a 28 spline locker is almost double a 31 spline.
I'm getting quoted labor prices of 500-900 just to change out the ring and pinion and rebuild the truetrac and that's with me supplying all the parts.
Anyone got a good recommendation for a rear end shop in the Bay area/Northern California

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online