2nd amp died?

joemomma

Reaction score
So, it looks like I've killed a second amp. Backstory:

Radio quit playing a couple of weeks ago. Troubleshooting led to the amp being bad. Replaced amp with an old one, everything working as intended. This morning on the way in, radio quit again. By "radio quit", I mean no audio output regardless of source. HU still has power, etc. Just no sound. Same symptom as before. Before I tear the car apart (again), what would cause something to kill my amp like this? Overvoltage, spikes, etc.? I don't want to keep throwing amps in this thing only for them to keep blowing. I don't have another spare amp to test with at the moment, but I'm fairly certain that's the issue.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If could be too many/wrong resistance of the speaker load, it could be the deck messing up and sending DC down the rca's, it could be as simple as a bad connection to the amp.

First check the power light on the amp. If it is not on then grab a meter and check the power terminals to see if power is on them and the remote, with the deck on.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I'll try to dig in this weekend and see what I can find. There's some pretty big football games on this weekend lol.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Turns out it was just a loose ground.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you will never see anyone roll their eyes at you as a 12v installer till there is someone in front of you asking what could be wrong and when you respond "did you check the grounds?". This is true even if the person asking the question is another installer, actually in that case it is especially true...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online