2v 5.4l swap thread

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I figured their are some still out there in Mustang land, gauging intrest of swapping a 5.4l 2valve engine into an sn95.

Alot say the swap is not worth it, but those that have swapped say that it is!

Im testing waters here. If you have intrest in swapping a 2v 5.4l into your mustang post up!

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The swap offers equally the same amount of hp, although achieved at lower rpm's, but the torque ouput increases 100lbft more over the 4.6l. Directly off idle the 5.4l has 100lbft more working torque than a 4.6l. This kind of torque makes a car fun to drive and very drivable with nasty thumping cams.

PikesPeakPony

Reaction score
I actually found A 5.4 in a triton at the local U pull and pay complete for 200 and have been running the idea through my head. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on it is hood clearance. I want to keep my car looking pretty much stock.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Keeping it all under the hood is important. Their are a few intake manifold choices that allow clearance under a stock hood.

1. HPS products has a specific 5.4l manifold that resembles a plastic pi manifold, but is made from aluminum. Bolts directly to a wider 5.4l, just like a factory intake does on a 4.6l. However one will need to widen the fuel rail crossover hoses. Simply replace the stock lines with longer fuel line hoses and matching size clamps. This intake clears the hood very well. $700new...if still available.

2. Modify a 4.6l specific edelbrock intake. Cut it in half, widen to 5.4l, weld up. Its made of aluminum also and easy to modify with the right tools. Any local weld shop should be able to tackle the job, youll just need to make either a template or take your long block so they can tack it up. $500 after modifications.

3. Buy spacers for a stock 4.6l manifold that make up the width difference. This requires some brace cutting under the hood to clear. $300 for the spacers
This scenario works well, but not ideal. For one the added spacers put the throttle body into the hood, but still under it with a little brace notching. And two the injectors are not spraying directly on top of the valve. Not a bad thing cause it works, but not a good thing for performance.
5836794ebcc656f10913151820a05ad7.jpg

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
If you are going FI you can use a lightning lower and intercooler with a custom hate..... thats the expensive option but the coolest.

As far as fuel lines f150s have the hose to rail connections on the drivers side and the mustangs are on the passenger side so you can't just use those :sad face:

If you're gonna do a pi motor swap you might as well do a 5.4 pi motor swap....

I love this topic Lol

Exhaust is a headache but the only exhaust job I had go smoothly was installing my SLP lm1s.

PikesPeakPony

Reaction score
Its a 2 valve Npi I believe. I just saw a youtube video of a nasty sounding new edge with a 4v 5.4 and slp lms. dude used an Australian intake from an FPV or some performance version of the Falcon. Car put down 333 whp and looked clean. would never know he had that beast under there. Now I'm really confused because I wouldnt want to spend all that cash and blood sweat and tears just for a larger NPI turd lol. That 4v is sexy. Or am I wrong? the truck is a 99.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Npi heads just need a little love along with the pi cams. Pi heads out the box perform excellent, but on an otherwise stock 5.4l, their is no diffrence in power level between the two, same compression ratio. Cammed, long tubed, free flow intake,...no difference. The piston deck needs to be zero before any real performance starts to happen and this is done by decking the block .100" or buying 5.4l specific pistons $800!
You see, a stock 5.4l piston resides .100" down in the bore. This is perfect for an engine in a truck, pulling 10,000lbs, but not what we hungry power Americans want. Keeping that tight "squish" is were performance is at.

The exhaust is a pain, long tubes are the toughest. Although longtubes promise 20rwhp regardless of boltons, they are not an easy fit. Some have done it with success, but at the expense of room. Raising the engine for clearance, eliminating hydrobooster/brakes/powersteering. The stupid steering shafts location causes the most problems. Its dead center where the tubes need to be. Although im basing this on older type long tube designs, newer designs may be available. Some longtubes have the front tube routing over top the flange to reduce the cluster of pipes crowding the steering shaft. Also the frame rail on the passenger side is really close and iirc long tubes clear quite well. Its the stock manifolds that rub a little, but grinding the area eliminates the rub.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ive been associated with the 2v 5.4l forum guys for some time now. The most rwhp I can remember on ported pi heads, cams, long tubes, hps intake manifold and turn the dyno to 317rwhp and like around 390rwtq. Thats stupid amounts of torque!!!

Another guy went Trick Flow heads route and pulled of 430rwhp on shorty headers, hps intake, cams, full bolt ons on (iirc) 10.1 static compression.

With the availability of e85, tfs heads and how a 5.4l can gain compression with ease,....one can see 500rwhp n/a steetable, daily driver!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been associated with the 2v 5.4l forum guys for some time now. The most rwhp I can remember on ported pi heads, cams, long tubes, hps intake manifold and turn the dyno to 317rwhp and like around 390rwtq. Thats stupid amounts of torque!!!

Another guy went Trick Flow heads route and pulled of 430rwhp on shorty headers, hps intake, cams, full bolt ons on (iirc) 10.1 static compression.

With the availability of e85, tfs heads and how a 5.4l can gain compression with ease,....one can see 500rwhp n/a steetable, daily driver!

This is what I was wondering... I always thought some TF heads with nasty cams would wake up the HP on the 5.4. I would like to have one of those 5.8 modular blocks to start with that MMR sells.

torch318

Reaction score

Pretty much makes the ls argument invalid with some good heads.

Carnage281

Reaction score
Pretty much makes the ls argument invalid with some good heads.
Yeah from what I have seen, as long as the 5.4 has heads that can feed it the air it needs it can be a pretty capable motor. Same thing with the dohc 5.4s, most people who do the swap use the nav heads.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
4v heads flow exceptionally well, but their ability to create the much needed homogenous flavor in the cylinder kills any affordable
n/a streetable power. Dont get me wrong here, im not disagreeing with you, 4v heads flow very well, but their are more aspecs to in cylinder motion than just breathing capabilites. I will always side with a 2v head over 4v any day, Unless direct injected. The trick flow heads offer the 2v benefits only the 4v heads dream about.

Carnage281

Reaction score
4v heads flow exceptionally well, but their ability to create the much needed homogenous flavor in the cylinder kills any affordable
n/a streetable power. Dont get me wrong here, im not disagreeing with you, 4v heads flow very well, but their are more aspecs to in cylinder motion than just breathing capabilites. I will always side with a 2v head over 4v any day, Unless direct injected. The trick flow heads offer the 2v benefits only the 4v heads dream about.
Oh yeah I totally agree, I know I read somewhere that 2v heads are actually better for positive displacement blowers than 03-04 cobra heads because of the exhaust ports. I can't remember if that was the trick flows or ported 2v heads. Apparently that's why gt500's make some much great hp/tq, because of the exhaust ports on the head aswell as the intake ports.

kvoriley

Reaction score
I have been thinking about doing this for some time, and almost did but found a good deal on a 4.6 PI.

When I graduate I am thinking grabbing a 5.4 from a junkyard and doing a slow n/a build on it.

I think a 5.4 with trick flow heads, hps intake, and my comp 270 cams would be nasty!

Caboose302

Reaction score
I've been toying with this idea for a while. I'm going to sit down with my (new) tuner and go over the pros and cons. Might still do it. I still have some time to decide before I get into a rebuild.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Carnage281
Them Gt500's force fed is down right nasty! Although the combustion chamber us set up for forced induction, so the heads wouldnt play well n/a. Not to mention the wallet.

Kvoriley
Its a fun learning swap to build on only if you decide to keep your car. Replacing to pi or pi swapping to your short block is still a great way to improve performance. The 2v 5.4l swap is sort of disappointing, but rewarding in a sence....pure hot rodding! And if your into just having fun, the 2v 5.4l might be for you.

Caboose302
DO IT! Source some forged internals along with TFS specific 5.4l pistons along with the heads, youll be happy!

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Staff online

Members online