2v 5.4l swap thread

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Passenger side was a snap! All bolts had access because the a/c equipment had been eliminated. Who needs a/c in a black car with broken window regulators...psst.(just kidding about the regulators). I remember removing the passenger cover once before when all the a/c was intact. It wasnt fun. Infact.....thats why the a/c was removed....to get the cover off...lol. This was done 5yrs ago when I discovered a broken exhaust valve spring.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Spacer adapters for $108.50 free shipping!!!

Normally $170

These will adapt a 4.6l 2v intake to a 2v 5.4l

Silver95bird

Reaction score
I saw those, but the picture is of npi to pi adapters. It was a little off putting.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Any of you guys know of a good kit for building braided fuel lines?

I think russel used to make a piece that attached to our stock lines up by the fuel rail. Cant seem to find it anymore.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

myillwillinc

Reaction score
hey all, been away from the 5.4 swap game for a couple years. im looking to revive my swap and im looking for a hps intake if you guys know where one is for sale...

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Well! How cool is this.....man....where ya been? Lets see....you were more active at the corral? Anyhow, welcome back.

The hps is long gone and you may get luck and score one, but dont hold your breath. Best option these days....take an eddy intake and widen it. Works great!

myillwillinc

Reaction score
sucks that ive had 3 of those intakes and I sold all of them when I got my custom made one.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I noticed one forsale at the corral. If im not mistaken, I believe the guy selling it, bought it from me 5yr ago. Great intakes. Well made!

So gives us all some insight about your plans! Maybe start a build thread?

I thought about where I remembered seeing your screen name.....mustangboards! R3dn3cks giant 5.4l thread. And if my memory serves me, you were building a turbo setup?

Man...you gotta hangout awhile! Teach us somethings!

myillwillinc

Reaction score
I still have one of the sets of adapters from the magazine build. I started to make mine a twin turbo build then job and powdercoat shop got crazy and I was paying a shop here in Birmingham to build the twin turbo kit. now after 6 yrs I got the car back in worse shape then I left it and im suing them to get the money back to finish the build.

this is all I got done for 5K from the shop:

here is the intake I currently have:

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
What ever happened to r3dn3ck? He still alive? Guy was a 5.4l 2v advocate. Had the biggest single thread ive ever known of.

98DesertGT

Reaction score
Considering you can apparently slap more modern LS heads on the block...it's a devil of an engine still.
Saw a GTO locally, with LS3 or something heads.
I have a buddy with a trans am, he's going a similar route next month...he's going to make quite a leap over his stock 314/319 baseline...
I'm a little jealous

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Check out Shortuning.org and Brian Tooley Racing for all the LS stuff you can imagine.

Im completely surrounded by LS folk. Im definitely the underdog and boy do they remind me! All great people too. Hit him up if you guys have an LS needing tuned.

98DesertGT

Reaction score
I'll pass that info along.
He'll be happy about it.

I keep getting yanked in two directions.
LS swap it
Coyote swap it.

I'm just sitting here....it's PI swapped haha

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm leaning 5.4 dohc or coyote now.

For the price of trickflows I'm kinda jumping ship though I love my sohc life

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Silver95bird

Reaction score
So, I'm doing a little brain storming here. The 5.4l I'm going to be getting is a f75e NPI head with the all aluminum intake. It looks like this intake might not be as tough to deal with as the PI intake in the plenum area. It faces forward instead of the slight driver's side angle of the PI. Kind of like the old 92-95 npis did. Shouldn't be that hard to make an intake tube.

I know I'm going to hear 'but the long runners!', but I don't think they're that much different. The car intakes sit very deep into the valley, the trucks far less so. I think it's more a shape difference than anything. Anyone ever measure one to be sure? Also keep in mind the car NPI intakes had some very tight turns, the pi was much improved. The trucks are also much more gentle than the car NPI.

The fuel line on the svo s/c unit was just a stock line, with the front crossover tube cut and replaced with some fuel injection hose. Why not do the same on the 5.4 manifold?

I know the truck intake is tall, but once you get done adding the adapters and a second intake gasket, it's really not as far as you'd think. Plus using the aluminum intake, the injectors line up. If I have to add a scoop or a reasonable cowl hood, I think it's not that big of a deal.

Any idea if the inside diameters are similar in the NPI vs pi truck intakes? I'm suspecting by the time they got to the trucks, they might have given them a little more breathing room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online