2v budget build.

pgfdv6

Reaction score
Ok guys so here it goes I’ve been procrastinating on writing this build. Anyways here it goes platform I’m starting with is a 2000 V6 160k on the clock.
Been driving it for about 7 months and now I’m ready to get to work!
Did some searching and found a motor out of a 97 gt with 170k on that was rebuilt 30k ago with paper work

3.8 coming out
6917a27a818a7bf3d3647c3f42eb3a8a.jpg

Now before putting the 4.6 in I am doing a full PI swap I have been able to source all the parts (or at least I hope so).

I had to find another intake manifold be cause the ass hat from Georgia that sent the first one to me the bottom was all melted bolts were broken off in their bolt holes even the sensor that were included had been snapped off but I was told it must of happen in “shippingâ€
8ac5dc1da4ae99c9836c1fca234e4092.jpg
a1f2d36884089e590c94b159298c5d60.jpg

4fc57c8cb7ec75fc0adc42cc6b965ac2.jpg

So many more pictures but I’ll just leave it at that.

Order a head changing kit from AM ( M-6067-D46)
Hopefully I can get the at least the NPI heads off tonight and maybe get the PI heads bolted up deciding if I should stick to the stock cam or just go ahead and switch them out since I’m here any ways all the cams I have looked at seem to be roughly around $650-$700 which is a good amount out of the budget, thoughts? Opinions? I don’t know much about cam shafts so looking for some help here.

As far as the transmission goes I have switched the T5 out for a TR3650 manage to show my 16 yr old brother how to do it, I think was a good first job for him to get his feet wet
bb3b5958a6dfa93aa3f3bc63ef4b5f5c.jpg

Anyways that’s all I got for now will post updates as they happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Now I see where the wheels are, let me have first shot at them. I got good cams for you. I might want the nPI heads. Lots of parts here...

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
^take advice from OLD H2S, this guy knows his stuff! Sounds like you've got a good project on your hands, that manifold is unfortunate but it looks like a lousy dorman that isn't worth keeping anyway. Keep us posted with the progress man. Good luck!

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Good luck with the build. It really depends what your goals are if cams are worth the investment or not to you. If keeping everything bone stock it probably wouldn't be worth your $ and/or time. If you want to build a stout n/a or future power adder setup than sure a nice set of springs and cams could obviously help. All comes down to goals & budget

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
Well I wish I knew the build plan usually changes once a day and probably three times on weekends when I’m not at work [emoji23]

So let me ask you guys when it comes to the PI heads are there certain ones that are better then others? I ask be cause I have two different set on my hands right now.... pics I’ve got now our crummy but will get better ones Saturday

Now this set here came off of a mustang or so I am told but a more senior mechanic then myself says they are not good so I’m waiting to get them to an actual machine shop to confirm it tho.
dc71df5d9b34db6ec6d3eeb62e6f0553.jpg

Now this set here I bought off a guy on face book heads are to have 140k on them don’t know to much else
79744fb1d7cb9e0ac9fd2d07793f8319.jpg
804ccfb9f8f2bafda26cbb8f9034b9dd.jpg

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
Also I tried searching any write ups on swapping the heads... any tips? Do’s...Don’t.... things to look out for?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Gonna want to be sure the cams are in deed mustang pi cams.

Getting the heads back from the machine shop will nearly eliminate all the problems, except one and thats sparkplug threads. Dont let the machine shop install helicoils. Timesert or locknstitch only. Dont leave the shop without them done. The factory 4threads are not enough.

If you can notch the pistons for valve reliefs, any performance cam will work.

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
Gonna want to be sure the cams are in deed mustang pi cams.

Getting the heads back from the machine shop will nearly eliminate all the problems, except one and thats sparkplug threads. Dont let the machine shop install helicoils. Timesert or locknstitch only. Dont leave the shop without them done. The factory 4threads are not enough.

If you can notch the pistons for valve reliefs, any performance cam will work.

So are you saying that if I don’t notch them for the valve relief then I can not run a aftermarket performance cam at all?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
No, you be able to run a low to almost mild cam, but why prohibit performance potential with .070" of piston valve clearance?

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
No, you be able to run a low to almost mild cam, but why prohibit performance potential with .070" of piston valve clearance?

I am a noob when it comes to all of this. But I was reading on another form about the cams that it was point less to spend the money on a stage 2 cam because with out the other supporting mods there’s no way to benefit its potential
Here is part of the article it’s fairly long but if anyone wants the full link I’ve got it saved.
df42daf9ed9a81ada440de5f1590739c.jpg

Like I was saying earlier this is my first real build so still learning a lot this is definitely the most in-depth I’ve been in to the motor.... so thanks for the help

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Thats good info, thanks for sharing. Read as much as you can. Be leary of facebook info along with the nut swinger crowd. Ill be honest, an off the shelf cam will only net you 20hp meaning youll probably never be over 300rwhp naturally aspirated. On a budget, we can guide you in a good direction, net you over that hp.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Also OLD H2S is a good guy to talk to. Give him a shout locally if you can.

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
Well since I’ll be waiting on OLD H2S to get back into town and figure out what direction this build is really going to go, no work is gonna be done this weekend lol which just means reading and research
But did come across a Black Friday sale on AM for some slp loud mouth 1’s [emoji16][emoji28] so will see how it goes.
49cc23b04c393877222b2a1b9ef3d5cc.jpg

I read a lot of reviews and seem like the biggest complaints were “too loud†and that it sits lower then the stock exhaust. Now my custom exhaust I had made already scrapes the ground and looking up under the car the other day I noticed my rear sway bar had some scrapes on it but the majority of this I believe is coming from pulling my car in and out of the bays at shop there is a slight grade of incline to get into the bays.....
just might have to raise it back up a hair but we will see.......

Getting closer and closer every day So hopefully I can get this thing done by Christmas [emoji319][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16] but it’s not easy with 2 different projects going on at the same time lol (rebuilding my bike over winter as well).

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have the full Timesert tool set, you just need to buy the inserts, buy the good ones and bring the heads over and do all at the same time. It is fast and easy to do and I have the tools, maybe 2 hours to do both heads, 100.00 in parts.

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
I have the full Timesert tool set, you just need to buy the inserts, buy the good ones and bring the heads over and do all at the same time. It is fast and easy to do and I have the tools, maybe 2 hours to do both heads, 100.00 in parts.

Ok I will be free any day after Tuesday.... like I said I am new at this so what exactly am I looking to buy? What is a timesert tool? What is it used for?

When I research it...it looks to be like a tap for the spark plugs why would have to redo these or is it just a precautionary thing?

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
Got this from my father that he had previously got for his 95 Gt it won’t be plug and play but I’m gonna check the wiring diagrams at my shop and see if I can’t make it work
b9fc9a7a18d40ec4e92cdea7f48b200b.jpg

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
Ok so my Windsor heads seem to check out to be ok so with that being said I’ve begun to tear them down and ready them for the machine shop.

I got the camp caps off, cams out and rockers off but the valve springs require a special tool, I’m wondering does anyone know a way around using this tool?
ec358593b6101f38352d7f18d357585b.jpg

I’ve got them with me here at the shop to work on threw out the day going to let them soak in the parts washer for a bit.

After talking with OLD H2S I think the plan here will be to get the machine shop to deck the heads about 50,000ths get a 3 angle valve job and start from there “welp here goes my Christmas fund
[emoji383]*♂️

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online