2V Possibilities

Wichers123

Reaction score
OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
No matter what you decide. Please for the love of God don't make the misstake I did, billet oil pump. My wot launch control broke mine.
I had looked at your build thread right before I made this post, you did do something with the 03/04 cobra short block and PI heads correct?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I skipped the billet gears on my 3v build only because 1) its an auto 2) I will be replacing the cams after the break in period.

If you have a stick, gears are a great idea. The 3v's seem to break them often.

Wichers123

Reaction score
I skipped the billet gears on my 3v build only because 1) its an auto 2) I will be replacing the cams after the break in period.

If you have a stick, gears are a great idea. The 3v's seem to break them often.
This is incorrect information. My car was auto when it broke the gears.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
This is incorrect information. My car was auto when it broke the gears.
Never said stick cars only. Def noticed the trend in 3v cars but it could be that most like a mt vs at.

It was about 3:1.....

But an auto def provides for less impact/shock

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Its the tentioners that cause the harmonics.
The oil passages for the tensioner are like 3inches form the solenoid passages that leads to the phasers...... I'm sure they play a pretty good part in part failures....

High rpm shifts, converter, or getting off the throttle hard......

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Locking out the tentioners significantly reduces chains slap...that the tentioner can not over come. In rev limiting scenario's, the timing components dont follow along with how the crankshaft bounces quickly from 2 separate rpm's. The timing components are designed to pull and keep loaded in a pull scenario(tentioner arms) but as the crank bounces off a limiter and rpm drop, the rest of the components go into a slight free spin/fall and then suddenly get jerked when the power comes back on....but really quickly shifting rpm's. The chains start to get a rythmic wave, and the tentioners cant handle the chains weight slapping the arm around, ultimately allowing even more slap. This goes unnoticed because most dont rev limit/2step and its all packaged behind a cover. The constant supply of oil pressure behind the tentioner acts like a shock.

The fix?

Easy....make spacers for the insides of the tentioners to back up to..locking out. This requires a little skill figuring out what spacer size is needed.

This still does not stop the oil pump gears from breaking from harmonics, but correcting this helps tremendously reducing unwanted harmonics.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You got me :)

I would even buy one from MMR if needed. A really good shop in my area is a TSS dealer so I went with them.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
is TSS better than mellon?

Melling? They have reported pump failures on the 3v side....

MMR sent a guy the wrong gears and it destroyed his oil pump upon install. They sent him a free hurricane pump but it worried me enough to sway mypocket book to TSS when i do get the gears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online