2V Possibilities

dirtyred11

Reaction score
Ok guys so I have a 98 Gt now and i'm starting to do more and more research on what the 2v is capable of and what all you can do with it. I was told that the term " modular " when referring to our engines means everything is interchangeable. SO, if that is so what are all the combos and different things you guys have took and put together to make good power? I saw in a build post on here that a guy took the 03/04 cobra short block and slapped some PI heads on it and turboed it, and that kind of blew my head because now i'm thinking u can swap 2v and 4v heads on different short blocks like that??? I have also heard a time or two that most guys take cobra rods and put in the 2v because the rods and pistons are the weakest point in the combo, and that the blocks are far better than the old 5.0 that would split at 400-500hp. Idk, I just know my head is everywhere now on this subject lol, so if you guys could help me out with your input and personal build experience with these " modulars ".... Also if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it where it would help it most
WP_20150512_002_zpse43baa37.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Vegasfilter

Reaction score
I haven't even started considering what I am going to do with my "modular" but I am interested in all the answers this post generates! Also, very clean car man!

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
I haven't even started considering what I am going to do with my "modular" but I am interested in all the answers this post generates! Also, very clean car man!
Thanks man, and yea it's a pretty broad question so we should get some good info

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
1996-1998 Ford Mustang GT:

Romeo Block
Non PI heads
Short runner intake
Crack snap rods and pistons

limit: 450rwhp on internals w/ boost
block limit: 700-1000+hp

1999-2004 Ford Mustang GT
Romeo/Windsor Block
Long runner PI intake
Performance Improved Heads

limit: 450rwhp+ on internals w/ boost

Common swap: PI heads on NPI shortblock = 10:0 Compression w/ 260-270rwhp N/A
Common swap: 03/04 Cobra shortblock w/ PI heads = 500-600rwhp with boost

1996-1998 Cobra Mustang
B-Head with IMRC's
Teksid block aluminum
Long runner style cobra intake

limit: 450-550rwhp on internals with boost
block limit: 700-1100hp with machine work

03-04 Terminator Cobra
C-Head
IRON Block
Manley rods and pistons
Roots blower M112

limit: 600-700rwhp
Block limit: 800-1200hp with machine work

Everything is interchangeable and you make whatever combo you want with the right supporting hardware. I suggest looking up some build books on amazon to help you get familiarized with what you want to do.

All numbers are all guesstimates because with proper machine work on block and rotating assembly you can achieve far higher numbers. The numbers I posted is what I've seen over the years being in the mustang game for 10+ years for sn95 chasis.

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
1996-1998 Ford Mustang GT:

Romeo Block
Non PI heads
Short runner intake

limit: 450rwhp on internals w/ boost

1999-2004 Ford Mustang GT
Romeo/Windsor Block
Long runner PI intake
Performance Improved Heads

limit: 450rwhp+ on internals w/ boost

Common swap: PI heads on NPI shortblock = 10:0 Compression w/ 260-270rwhp N/A
Common swap: 03/04 Cobra shortblock w/ PI heads = 500-600rwhp with boost

1996-1998 Cobra Mustang
B-Head with IMRC's
Teksid block aluminum
Long runner style cobra intake

limit: 450-550rwhp on internals with boost
block limit: 700-1100hp with machine work

03-04 Terminator Cobra
C-Head
IRON Block
Manley rods and pistons
Roots blower M112

limit: 600-700rwhp
Block limit: 800-1200hp with machine work

Everything is interchangeable and you make whatever combo you want with the right supporting hardware. I suggest looking up some build books on amazon to help you get familiarized with what you want to do.

All numbers are all guesstimates because with proper machine work on block and rotating assembly you can achieve far higher numbers. The numbers I posted is what I've seen over the years being in the mustang game for 10+ years for sn95 chasis.
That is some awesome info and helped clear a lot of things up for me and a few others i'm sure, thanks a ton. And also, u can swap 4v heads and 2v heads on these different blocks? And what combo other than the stock cobra set up can u use the stock 03/04 supercharger setup?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
4v heads dont necessarily mean more power. 2v's are not the turds you think they are. 4v create more headaches. 2v simplicity.

Really boils down to how much reliable power you want. More reliability = more money.

Yes 4v heads and 2v heads bolt down to the modular block identically, but the matching covers do not interchange. Intakes do not interchange. Exhaust manifolds do not interchange (although will bolt on to either head)

Even the FWD modular engines internals and heads swap out to the RWD blocks. The block and tranny do not. Loads of build options with stock parts.

Dont forget trickflows 2v heads

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
4v heads dont necessarily mean more power. 2v's are not the turds you think they are. 4v create more headaches. 2v simplicity.

Really boils down to how much reliable power you want. More reliability = more money.

Yes 4v heads and 2v heads bolt down to the modular block identically, but the matching covers do not interchange. Intakes do not interchange. Exhaust manifolds do not interchange (although will bolt on to either head)

Even the FWD modular engines internals and heads swap out to the RWD blocks. The block and tranny do not. Loads of build options with stock parts.

Dont forget trickflows 2v heads
Ok now where getting somewhere lol so what would be your best budget friendly stock pile of modular parts? Preferably starting with the 96-98 block.

Ballistic

Reaction score
Subbing to this thread, I'm pretty undecided on what i want to do, thought about PI heads then i can put a Kenne Bell on, or just do a coyote aluminator swap if i did the swap would be at the power of a supercharged 2v but naturally aspirated leaving room for more power.. But then i also want to buy a 2013+ F350 Diesel Platinum so i can start rollin coal..

Decisions, Decisions...

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Ok now where getting somewhere lol so what would be your best budget friendly stock pile of modular parts? Preferably starting with the 96-98 block.

So the new 5.0 coyote motors happen to have the same length rods as the the 4.6 modulars. they handle quite a bit of power and are pretty affordable.
When shopping look out for rods that are for a stroker kit, you want rods that are 5.933in long, not stoker rods (unless you get a stroker crank.)

Pistons are gonna run you about $450 plus. You cant go over .030 bore (stock bore 3.552 in so .030 over is 3.582). there are other small details to work out in your build such as compression and corresponding cam selection. Probe MMR Manley DSS are some affordable options, I would avoid certain products with colorful "protective coatings".... what ever brand pistons you choose get thier piston rings....

So when thinking about building a short block. The 4.6 and 5.4 pistons are interchanable. so if you see a set of pistons for a ford lightning and they equate to the compression you, want scoop them up! The small differnces you will need to look out for is there are specifics fasteners and bearings for the respective blocks mentioned earlier. So if you have a Teksid block out of a cobra and want to put 2v stuff on it/in it. You will need to get bearings fot the teksid and the bolts for the teksid.

Big thing to remember is most of the stock fastners are torque to yeild (TTY) and can only be used once. Head studs, jack bolts, mains studs.

as far as cranks go cobras came with 8 bolt (flywheel or flexplate connecting to the transmission) forged crank the gt has a 6 bolt cast crank. I honestly havent seena failure of a cast crank due to horsepower..... but most bit power people go forged. Soy ou can find used cobra cranks all the time.... save yourself headache and don't buy one that needs turned... sure you can "save money" but in the long run its a risk not worth taking. I personally think stoker kits ont he 4.6 are not worth the money.

I get a lot of stuff from modmaxracing.com

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Your same 98 block, Stock cast crank, 2013 boss rods, Lincoln Mark 8 Pistons, pi heads and cams. All very affordable and easy to get. You up the compression and you are using all stock ford parts.......hmmmm, that list sounds awfully familiar lol.

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
Your same 98 block, Stock cast crank, 2013 boss rods, Lincoln Mark 8 Pistons, pi heads and cams. All very affordable and easy to get. You up the compression and you are using all stock ford parts.......hmmmm, that list sounds awfully familiar lol.
So if you had to guess, what numbers do you think this combo would produce?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
No clue lol. Check out modular head shop, they have a build like that and they call it the "the recession buster" build. I think they use aftearket cams though.

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
No clue lol. Check out modular head shop, they have a build like that and they call it the "the recession buster" build. I think they use aftearket cams though.
Man you have me all over the web looking now lol, I also checked out modular head shop and read a bunch of articles and they have some great info in there.

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
'03 GT block and crank
Boss rods
Dished Manley forged pistons
Lightly ported PI heads
Comp 270s with springs and retainers
PI intake

We'll see what happens...lol

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
BTW running a forged crank in a 96-98 (possibly til 02) will require some minor machine work. The block does not have accommodations for the extra counter weights on the forged crank.....

With that being said I haven't seen a cast crank fail from power.....

Wichers123

Reaction score
No matter what you decide. Please for the love of God don't make the misstake I did, billet oil pump. My wot launch control broke mine.

punched281

Reaction score
Mine is a WAP block 02 cast crank. MMR rods and pistons. Romeo heads. Working well so far, do whatever you want to do!

And same, never even heard of a cast crank breaking.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Decide now...on paper...what hp level you want. Also write down a budget. A max dollar spent on the project.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online