2v TF heads or 4v power these days?

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
Yeah it seemed more reasonable to go na if I was going to use the built 5.4 4v I have.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
This is my favorite 2v, but its blown and runs a small shot. I know you mentioned you want n/a, but since this thread also mentions that most 2v builds hit a wall at about 700 and this one is a fairly simple setup and made 900rwhp at only 17psi+ the bottle and ran 9s.

http://shraderperformance.com/project-vehicles/brightmare-99/

I always follow that car, its absolutely sick. I mean, yes i guess technically it can be done. But I'm pretty sure he's running 17 psi, e 85, intercooler, meth, and nitrous lol. The ET's are surprising to me for a power level like that, I have buddies at 600rwhp running those times. Besides that car, it really is tough to even find 700rwhp 2v cars

the.greg

Reaction score
I always follow that car, its absolutely sick. I mean, yes i guess technically it can be done. But I'm pretty sure he's running 17 psi, e 85, intercooler, meth, and nitrous lol. The ET's are surprising to me for a power level like that, I have buddies at 600rwhp running those times. Besides that car, it really is tough to even find 700rwhp 2v cars

I agree. Its E85, 17psi, intercooled, and nitrous, although it does not use meth. I'm mostly impressed that its "only" 17 psi on a v2 s trim plus stock transmission tr3650.

You are right though that 9.8s isn't exactly special for 900+hp, but still its pretty cool for a 2v on the stock 5 speed. I bet if it was auto, its 1/4 times would drop significantly!

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I agree. Its E85, 17psi, intercooled, and nitrous, although it does not use meth. I'm mostly impressed that its "only" 17 psi on a v2 s trim plus stock transmission tr3650.

You are right though that 9.8s isn't exactly special for 900+hp, but still its pretty cool for a 2v on the stock 5 speed. I bet if it was auto, its 1/4 times would drop significantly!

Oh I'm sure. I remember always following that cars build...would love to hear/see it in person. Its definitely an inspiration for us little 2v guys! Can only imagine going WOT in that bad boy

chris91

Reaction score
We have a local 2v guy here running TF heads putting out 408HP 328TQ. Not sure of the bottom end specs but Dayton Performance is who tuned it and I am pretty sure Mike built the engine. Maybe we could get him to chime in on some info. NXcoupe, where are you? :D

the.greg

Reaction score
Oh I'm sure. I remember always following that cars build...would love to hear/see it in person. Its definitely an inspiration for us little 2v guys! Can only imagine going WOT in that bad boy

Its local to me and I have seen it, but not heard it running unfortunately. Steve Schrader, the owner/builder is a really nice guy, he owns and operates a performance shop and it seems to be top notch albeit not exactly well-known. I went to check it out back when I owned my Cobra and we chatted for a while, he really knows his stuff and was personable.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I think 420-440hp crank with H/C/I 2V is respectable N/A, that is my goal. I just hope my shortblock is healthy for those numbers.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
I wanted to have decent power and do it with an engine people say it wasnt worth to do. I make decent power.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
[MENTION=10532]MadStang[/MENTION] makes 388 with his built 2V

These are the most recent specs I have:

388rwhp/388rwtq N/A

MMR 600 Short Block
MHS Stage 3 Ported Heads
MHS Stage 4.5 Bullet Cams
Steeda Underdrive Pullies
Accufab PlenumRoush 75mm Throttle Body
JLT Ram Air Intake
Port Matched OEM Intake Manifold

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
MadStang makes 388 with his built 2V

These are the most recent specs I have:

388rwhp/388rwtq N/A

MMR 600 Short Block
MHS Stage 3 Ported Heads
MHS Stage 4.5 Bullet Cams
Steeda Underdrive Pullies
Accufab PlenumRoush 75mm Throttle Body
JLT Ram Air Intake
Port Matched OEM Intake Manifold

what type of compression he his running and is it the stock displacement and stroke?

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
E85
Stock stroke. Maybe just maybe .020 over

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
Yes, yes it is. Im probably switching back to twin towers. I should have done something by now though

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
When we messed around with E85 on my car, we realized it just wasn't worth it for a daily driver. In Michigan there are about 6 different E85 blends throughout the year and unless I ordered it by the barrel like my friend did, (his idea completely) it just was pointless because I would have had to have a minimum of 3 different tunes. Add that to the fact that there is only one major chain of Gas stations (Meijer) that had E85 year round, my driving literally been from Station to station.

On average you need 20% more fuel delivery for normal driving and 50% more fuel at WOT.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
I know for one I am going the 2V route because its more of a spectacle to see a fast 2V versus a 4v. When you see a fast 4V its not that out of the ordinary, but when your 2V is fast its like everyone looses their minds haha. I reallly like the head profile of Twist wedge design, running a sick cams that doesn't cost close to 1000 dollars is a plus too.

Nothing is really spectacular any more.... there are faster, there are people who make more power, who do it with less modifications to cylinder heads, block and driveline. Build the car to suit what YOU want but not what people will think is impressive

I've done a few 4v swaps and they are not hard at all. Engine, Harness and tune. (and petty stuff)

easy stuff you know swap block few wiring connectors and /thread. But the price you pay for a c-head long block + modifications for the power your looking for comes at a price.

Just curious, if all things being equal would you expect a 2v to be neck and neck vs a 4v?

Depends in what application, by design a 4v will always flow more air in stock configuration. (both power and weight, iron/aluminum block dont forget)

Yes, and when you factor in the extra cost for Boss blocks, big bores etc it gets you back to the question, is it really worth the money to get a NA 2V up to 400rwhp when FI is so easy and a much higher ceiling.

Unless your racing in a class that requires it, NA 2V builds are not the way to go.

With mine I only cracked 275rwhp and thats with heads/cams etc through a 4r70w, that took the big bore plan I was thinking of right out of the equation.

Stock short block and PI heads and lumpy sticks put me at 302/310 ... that was a pretty easy build, but if your going to do it, snag an NVH block, and make it a 327 bb/stroker and be done. I have seen a few done and make great power for little money (relative)

Yeah it seemed more reasonable to go na if I was going to use the built 5.4 4v I have.

WEIGHT WEIGHT WEIGHT WEIGHT, unless you shell out 5 grand for an empty block and a "dry sump" gt block....

We have a local 2v guy here running TF heads putting out 408HP 328TQ. Not sure of the bottom end specs but Dayton Performance is who tuned it and I am pretty sure Mike built the engine. Maybe we could get him to chime in on some info. NXcoupe, where are you? :D

Mike knows his shit and built Camerons high cr 2v which is a TFS car and made over 400 and still had a good bit to grow.

I think 420-440hp crank with H/C/I 2V is respectable N/A, that is my goal. I just hope my shortblock is healthy for those numbers.

Dont rate these engines in hp at the crank, a c4, 4r70w, or t45 will drop those numbers, but lets not even get in to the converter debate....

I wanted to have decent power and do it with an engine people say it wasnt worth to do. I make decent power.

Dick measuring contest anyone. This is WHY i wont put my car on a full dyno pull yet datalog and game boy the shit out of it.

duff daddy

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

wtf why you drag me in to this !!!!!

Honestly to answer the coyote question.....

if I had known the option of a coyote swap for under 10 COMPLETE was an option when I built my car. Id have that right now. The performance, reliability, the versatility, cant be beat per $$$

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online