2v to 4v

silverstang1996

Reaction score
if i would build a new engine from ground up but make a 4v motor instead of 2v, what mods would be needed for it to go in my 96 GT?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
easiest thing would be to start with a Cobra engine for your rebuild. If you can get the Cobra ECU that would make tuning easier but a good tuner can make your GT ecu work. Another thing is the flywheel flexplate needs to be 8 bolt instead of 6 assuming you use the Cobra Crank. Its not a difficult swap if you have the correct parts.

OP
OP
S

silverstang1996

Reaction score
this may seem like a stupid question but, my Gt is auto so would i need to do a tranny swap too? i know all cobras come stock 5 speed so

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
silverstang1996 said:
this may seem like a stupid question but, my Gt is auto so would i need to do a tranny swap too? i know all cobras come stock 5 speed so
No...i have an auto also and have a 8 bolt Cobra crank...Ford sells a 8 bolt flexplate to match an auto to a Cobra crank...Also alot of 03/04 Cobra's are switching to auto's for better/more consistent times in the 1/4.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
silverstang1996 said:
No...i have an auto also and have a 8 bolt Cobra crank...Ford sells a 8 bolt flexplate to match an auto to a Cobra crank...Also alot of 03/04 Cobra's are switching to auto's for better/more consistent times in the 1/4.

those would be the mega hp cobras :khobra:

OP
OP
S

silverstang1996

Reaction score
yeah id be looking for somthing that puts out like 400 rwhp/rwtq, 2v's cost too much to put out that numbers so i wanna go for 4v n maybe supercharge n be done w/ it for a little..

jpajkos

Reaction score
After I slap on my charger I will be putting out over 400rwhp. :-\

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
silverstang1996 said:
yeah id be looking for somthing that puts out like 400 rwhp/rwtq, 2v's cost too much to put out that numbers so i wanna go for 4v n maybe supercharge n be done w/ it for a little..
2V's can reach 400rwhp easily with a blower!!!

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
silverstang1996 said:

or with a zillion dollars in the motor itself N/A ;D

OP
OP
S

silverstang1996

Reaction score
yeah but probably not with my car..right now its putting out 185 rwhp/244 rwtq, only w/ a supercharger on mine will boost it to like high 200's/ low 300's i'd think..i also think it'd just be pretty cool shit when someone rolls up to you thinkin u got just a GT motor but runnin Cobra..just my opinion..

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
silverstang1996 said:
yeah but probably not with my car..right now its putting out 185 rwhp/244 rwtq, only w/ a supercharger on mine will boost it to like high 200's/ low 300's i'd think..i also think it'd just be pretty cool shit when someone rolls up to you thinkin u got just a GT motor but runnin Cobra..just my opinion..
your car is severly handicapped by the stock intake and cams so even a blower would only get you to 275rwhp...now get rid of those and your car will be able to make power. You can get a Kenne Bell supercharger that replaces the intake and put in some supercharger cams and now you can easily be in the 350-400rwhp range. Then when someone pulls up to you and thinks slow ass NPI GT then you eat their lunch and smile.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
True that

Snakebit said:
or with a zillion dollars in the motor itself N/A ;D
LOL Snakebit!!

I'm building my 2V.........but,
A 4V would be cool too!
Let us know what you decide

OP
OP
S

silverstang1996

Reaction score
i would love to KB my car and get new cams, but that would be running me about the same a 96-98 or possibly used 99-04 cobra engine would cost, wouldn't you think?

S

scarface

get a blower, Pi intake, and some blower cams then your non pi headed engine will scoot.

S

scarface

97vertstang said:
i guess scarface knows
365 rwhp not too shabby heh ;D
I should actually be around 400 whp now after my new tune. I have upped the boost from 8 psi to 10, and added Meth. injection.

I say if you have the money to go 4v DO IT! I would love to do that. However if you dont have enough cash, upgrade what you have. There is still decent potential in a NON PI.

S

scarface

Snakebit said:
scarface said:
get a blower, Pi intake, and some blower cams then your non pi headed engine will scoot.

any motor with a blower will scoot :hammer:

My point is, IF you have enough to afford the 4v, go for it. Just dont think you HAVE to do the swap to get-r-done on the street :)

PS :Snake, your car has is now gracing my desktop with its presence :)

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
scarface said:
Snakebit said:
scarface said:

any motor with a blower will scoot :hammer:

My point is, IF you have enough to afford the 4v, go for it. Just dont think you HAVE to do the swap to get-r-done on the street :)

PS :Snake, your car has is now gracing my desktop with its presence :)

oh I know I was just being funny, the 2 valve can be deadly with the right combo especially when forced induction is added into the equation :naughty:

I feel privileged to have my old clunker on your desktop screen, :dancing6: :dancing6: :dancing6:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online