2v vs 4v For High HP Daily

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I have the parts to put together a 4v and a 2v, I have continental heads, 98 cobra intake manifold, and timing cover/chains/etc as well as wiring harness and ecu.. I also have 2v pi heads, bullitt intake mani, and everything else because obviously I'm a GT. I want to push the boundaries for a street car and build it till it hit's the ****in ceiling. It will be a daily driven car. It will have a turbo and a built 4r70. I just CAN'T decide which heads I want to slap on there. Buddy of mine is making almost 800hp on his 2v with stock heads. He's actually the one that got pissed when I posted a picture of my cobra manifold lolol. But that's besides the point. Powa is powa. How would you guys get it done?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Personally i think I'd stay 2v port those heads and either get turbo cams or stay stock ... Some decent rods and pistons with arp rod bolts. Then spin it to the moon ... Otherwise go 4v either way you'll be stout numbers

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
If you already have the parts, go 4v and don't look back. Trust me

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
The built short block will cost the same regardless.

Good ported 2v head = turbo 4v cams

I think both build will nickel a dime the budget hard core. Anyways

High HP 2v cool
High HP 4v typical

The D3V

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
There is just so much more power potential out of a 4v top end compared to a 2v

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
It seems like on a stock 2v head you're limited to about 600hp on pump gas. Ported heads cost about $1500, TFS cost just over $2000.

On the same hand 800hp is easily achievable on pump gas with a 4v. But cams are, like said, almost as much as ported PI heads.

Idk what to do dammit.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
4v, why wouldn't you use better equipment if you already have it?

sure 2v power might be "cooler", but its turbo... already cool factor.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Everyone will have their opinion, but in your original post it seems like you want a balls to the wall power maker. Should be a no brainer which direction to go especially if you already have the parts...

For reference, My 20psi, intercool'd, meth, and soon to be nitrous shot 2v is going to be making what 4v blower/turbo cars do...
That should say a lot

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
All very good points. Yeah I don't know why the hell I'm sitting here thinking about this. I got all the 4v parts for pennies on the dollar and after selling off the stuff I didn't need I'm literally only in the hole about $300 for all my 4v equipment.... Who said going 4v is expensive? Pshhh. Yeah 4v make so much more power so much easier than 2v do.. I keep referencing this flow chart and it's like all I can think of is how much more power I'd have through the power band with the better flowing B heads over PI

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
That's super lucky the situation you ran into. Yeah, it will be some work, but overall WELL worth going 4v for sure. Thats my one regret

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
What kills the B heads from their true performance is the combustion chamber. You can mill off .050" and still not gain any squish pads. Compression will be the essential to your hp desire.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah that's true man. Most people spend tons of money swapping from 2v to 4v, I got lucky for once. But I've heard more pro's than cons for this so I think I'm gonna end up doing it. My buddy text me today and told me he was just messing with me (as I already knew) and that he wouldn't hate on it at all. But he said "when I beat you can I tell you, told you so?" Haha so I guess you see what I'm up against.....

And I've heard B heads struggle to get off the line in comparison to C heads but I've also heard that B head intake manifolds outflow C head intake manifold. So my point there is with boost it really shouldn't make a difference if I lose a little off the line because with the better flowing manifold I should be able to squeeze out some more power. Perhaps that's misleading but only trial and error will tell

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Honestly I think my cam cost argument is irrelevant because you can make plenty of power with the stock cams and a turbo

The D3V

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The b intake needs longer runners in order to achieve Helmholtz resonance and yes you are right about it out flowing. But without the proper length to port runner surface area, resonance will not be achieved and its crucial to creating volumetric efficiency for low and high rpm. Basically, ford couldnt package the proper intake under a cobra hood. Although! Bumping the compression up past 13:1 REALLY helps!

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Honestly I think my cam cost argument is irrelevant because you can make plenty of power with the stock cams and a turbo

The D3V

Hate to be the stick in your eye but you are absolutely right there brotha. There have been B head cars over 1000hp on stock cams. The intake is 206 while the exhaust is 196, meaning it's already setup for a turbo! And it would retain full daily driver abilities. I'm going to snag a set as soon as I can and run with them. I've seen them as low as $100. IMO that just can't be beat, especially in comparison to $1100+ for new turbo cams.... I digress if I were aiming for a track only car then the aftermarket cams would be a must, I'm not at all saying they aren't worth it, I just need a car that's daily friendly, and can run hard. Stock 96-98 seem ideal for my application.

The b intake needs longer runners in order to achieve Helmholtz resonance and yes you are right about it out flowing. But without the proper length to port runner surface area, resonance will not be achieved and its crucial to creating volumetric efficiency for low and high rpm. Basically, ford couldnt package the proper intake under a cobra hood. Although! Bumping the compression up past 13:1 REALLY helps!

Touche. Long runners would probably be nice, but only place I know that sells them are MMR and they have yet to say what kind of power (with dyno sheets) they yield. I think I'm just going to look into porting the manifold (and possibly heads) and see what I can get out of it. And yeah bumping compression would help but we all know what kind of problems I can run into if not setup properly. Lol

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I think it would be more beneficial to invest in adjustable timing components then cams as well. I would avoid adjustable primaries they scare me. But secondaries (I think MMR makes some) and adjustable crank sprockets. Fresh springs, lifters, and gt500 followers.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If im thinking right...and im a little twisted at times....but their is more valve clearance with the B heads than the C heads, being able to run more cam timing BTDC on intake and exhaust. Also be sure you do have cobra heads and not the lincolns. The pre-97 lincolnheads valve guides are smaller and the valve seals sold anywhere will not match the heads. Even felpro has them listed the same as cobra. If used they will leak. Youll need lincoln pre-94 valve seals and expect to pay $130 for 2heads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online