3.08 to 3.55 worth it?

Springer2

Reaction score
Our current 95 Cobra had 3.73 gears in it when we bought it. I had a 94 Cobra years back with the stock 3.08s so I have a pretty good feel for the difference. Knowing what I know now, if I was making the change it would be 3.55s for the way I drive. A 3.55 set wakes the car up, makes 5th gear more useable, and does not make the engine "buzzy" during fun, relaxing drives.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Our current 95 Cobra had 3.73 gears in it when we bought it. I had a 94 Cobra years back with the stock 3.08s so I have a pretty good feel for the difference. Knowing what I know now, if I was making the change it would be 3.55s for the way I drive. A 3.55 set wakes the car up, makes 5th gear more useable, and does not make the engine "buzzy" during fun, relaxing drives.
Thanks, exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I’m a 90% soft-pedaler with the other 10% either getting my jollies or blowing past some dumb-ass who’s pissed me off! So, that peppy + freeway friendly sounds like what I’m after.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It really depends on what you want to do with the car and where you make your power. You can get super nerd-science-research-specific with it, do all the tables with your trans ratios, your tire dimensions, and figure out what final drive is ideal for various scenarios - if you plan on being a serious race car driver or drag racer, then you need to do that.

But, being honest here, if you are just driving it around on the street, then it's not really too much to stress about. My recommendation is something shorter than stock, but not as short as 4.10's. For me, 3.55 is the all around sweet spot. 3.73's are also a consideration. If you really care about MPG (which you probably don't because you are driving an older Mustang :) ) you could go with 3.08's but I wouldn't bother. Just pick 3.55 or 3.73 and call it a day. I use my Mustang for road racing and lately AutoCrossing. 3.55's are great for road racing (which is what I was originally doing), and are okay for AutoCrossing. If I was ONLY AutoCrossing I'd probably go with the 3.73's and just deal with the higher RPMs on the highway. But the 3.55's serve me well. And they will continue to work well if you mod the engine.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Everyone in here taking about 3.55 and 3.73 and I'm over here like where can I get some 4.30s

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wut??? Try your local boneyard in the dump truck rear ends!!! JK

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Wut??? Try your local boneyard in the dump truck rear ends!!! JK
Actually.... if I could find an 8.8 explorer with the 31 spline t loc and 4.10s I'd buy it and swap that into my car. Hard to find though

Wmac

Reaction score
Lots of 2nd gen explorers had 410's. My 99 eb them.

Look for 2 nd gen, 4 litre (only) with the trailer towing package. (big hitch, aux trans cooler)

apsmith49921

Reaction score
And the axles will not fit in a mustang. Need aftermarket for those.
Correct. Did the explorers you mention come with the T loc? I heard lots of them are open diff

Wmac

Reaction score
Look for door tag axle code D2. Thats tloc with 4.10 gears. But you would probably need a rebuild kit. Thats why I went with the Terminator diff, with the carbon fibre clutch disc.
Can't say I have ever heard on any car, truck or van builds with 4.30. That gear would be too much for 1/4 mile unless you had big heads, big cam and intake.
4valve mod motor, that would be the gear for sure.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Look for door tag axle code D2. Thats tloc with 4.10 gears. But you would probably need a rebuild kit. Thats why I went with the Terminator diff, with the carbon fibre clutch disc.
Can't say I have ever heard on any car, truck or van builds with 4.30. That gear would be too much for 1/4 mile unless you had big heads, big cam and intake.
4valve mod motor, that would be the gear for sure.
Thanks for the info! I'll probably cruise the junk yards in the next few weeks see what I can find.

I think 4.10s will work too I had planned on using the CF clutch pack for the cobra to rebuild when I do the rear. I doubt I need that strong of a rearend but it never hurts. And yes with me running a 4v I'll take all the gear hahaha just doesn't have the torque that the pushrod motors do

Wmac

Reaction score
AP didn't know you were 4V but wonder when you mentioned 4.30's. That gear is just too much for a pushrod unless you have alot of supporting hardware.

Maybe we should start another thread elsewhere, this is Daryl's thread.
If you post one, attach a link here and I will gladly follow.

On a side note, I just got back from the track (TNT day). I obliterated all my previous pb's. And the 4.10 gears has put that smile all over my face.

Daryl. Too bad you were not close by, I have a carrier with the 3.55 ring gear still atttaced, the matching pinion gear, as well as 2 sets of 28 spline stock axles. Would be happy for someone with your spunk to twist my arm for all of it. We need people like you to keep this hobby alive.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wmac,
I appreciate the offer and sentiment. Would have take you up on that if I were in The True North, eh!

Methodical

Reaction score
If you go from 2.73 to 3.55, you will feel a difference. If you go from 3.08 to 3.55, you won't feel much of a difference. I was in this decision boat years ago and went with 3.73s and my 95 Cobra was much more enjoyable to drive. I put in a short throw shifter and it was an even more enjoyable car to drive. Whatever you choose don't do the 4.10s. I know someone who had 4.10s and he was in 5th gear real fast and it was just a useless setup. I think he changed them to either 3.55 or 3.73s.

Just One Man's Opinion...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Even though your first two sentences contradicted themselves, I follow what you’re sayin’. I already went to a short throw shifter from SVE, so hopefully I’ll be as happy with my 3.55’s as you are with your 3.73’s! Fingers crossed...

Methodical

Reaction score
Even though your first two sentences contradicted themselves, I follow what you’re sayin’. I already went to a short throw shifter from SVE, so hopefully I’ll be as happy with my 3.55’s as you are with your 3.73’s! Fingers crossed...

I edited to say 2.73s. My mind was saying 2.73, but the fingers typed 3.08.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I edited to say 2.73s. My mind was saying 2.73, but the fingers typed 3.08.

I was gonna ask if your new, then noticed you’ve been here 14 years, then noticed you’ve posted only 5 times.

Not sure wether to say welcome to the forum or welcome back?!?!? [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online