3.5 Duratec N/A reliability

Reaction score
Anybody have a 3.5 Duratec? If so how reliable has it been and how do you like it?

Last edited:

07GtS197

Reaction score
My buddy has one in his 13 Explorer. It’s a nice little motor. Makes decent power and can go a number of miles. The transverse options have an internal water pump, which can be problematic. I have the 3.7 in my Taurus and like it. It’s essentially the same motor.

r1ch999999

Reaction score
I had a 3.5 in my 12 Fusion Sport. No problems, the transmission started giving me issues around 120k. The car was a great, I regret trading it in.

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
Sorry took a long break was finishing school out for the year. Good info i think I am going to stay away from the transverse 3.5 and 3.7, that water pump design scares me.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Good info i think I am going to stay away from the transverse 3.5 and 3.7, that water pump design scares me.

Up until 12 hours ago, I owned a '14 Taurus with the 3.5L. Had 153K miles. Water pump went at 147k miles. $3200 at the dealer for that job. I was tempted to tackle it myself but was strapped with time and just needed it done vs putting in the time to research it and get the right tools and such.

Loved the car, but repairs were starting to equal a car payment so instead of fixing it, i traded it in for a new car for the wife. WOuld not recommend anything with the transverse 3.5/3.7.

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
I just sold my 2013 Explorer with the 3.5 engine. Had the electric power steering go out on a freeway overpass and just about kill me. Ford would not stand behind that and is cost me 2800. Then 6 months later the water pump went out and 3200.00. Had to be put together twice before the mechanic realized the cam gears were mis-marked. I have tried all three dealers with in range of me and their service departments are run by poo throwing monkeys. I loved that Explorer. But I just don't trust modern Ford.

Jake

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I loved that Explorer. But I just don't trust modern Ford.

Same. I wanted an Explorer ST, but the new Explorers have their own set of problems. Since we needed to ditch the Taurus, we traded it in for a new Honda CRV for the wife and i took her car over for now. I still want the explorer ST but i'm staying away for now until i'm convinced the '24 or '25 model is better than what I see going on with '23's.

Last edited:

r1ch999999

Reaction score
Same. I wanted an Explorer ST, but the new Explorers have their own set of problems. Since we needed to ditch the Taurus, we traded it in for a new Honda CRV for the wife and i took her car over for now. I still want the explorer ST but i'm staying away for now until i'm convinced the '24 or '25 model is better than what I see going on with '23's.
I hadn't heard they had problems. I saw one tonight and thought I might be willing to trade my Tundra for one

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
Aren't the 2020 and up explorers rwd? So the engine would be mounted correctly like in the f150 and not have the internal water pump?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I hadn't heard they had problems. I saw one tonight and thought I might be willing to trade my Tundra for one

I've been following various groups for the ST for about 2-3 years and have been on the point of pulling the trigger. Common issues i've seen with them...

Exhaust flex pipes fail prematurely and break off
CV axle boots fail prematurely
rear camera failures (software and hardware related - there was actually a stop sale because of this due to safety issues without a functional camera)
Infotainment issues in general
1 bolt vs 2-bolt rear differentials and the failures associated with hard launches on a 1-bolt. Aftermarket diff braces exist
Various interior trim pieces fail prematurely (drivers seat lower trim)
Transmission issues with the 2020 models
cam phasers on the 3.0L (not that common)
sunroof prone to leaks and flapping when open

I understand you only see the problems on forums/groups and don't see when folks have no issues at all, but it's enough to make me hesitate and see what the 2024 refresh is like.

Aren't the 2020 and up explorers rwd? So the engine would be mounted correctly like in the f150 and not have the internal water pump?

It's an entirely different chassis and engine. Yes, it's RWD layout but you can get them in 4WD. Also, the 3.5L is gone. Now it's a 3.0L twin turbo or a 2.3L single turbo so no more internal water pump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
I've been following various groups for the ST for about 2-3 years and have been on the point of pulling the trigger. Common issues i've seen with them...

Exhaust flex pipes fail prematurely and break off
CV axle boots fail prematurely
rear camera failures (software and hardware related - there was actually a stop sale because of this due to safety issues without a functional camera)
Infotainment issues in general
1 bolt vs 2-bolt rear differentials and the failures associated with hard launches on a 1-bolt. Aftermarket diff braces exist
Various interior trim pieces fail prematurely (drivers seat lower trim)
Transmission issues with the 2020 models
cam phasers on the 3.0L (not that common)
sunroof prone to leaks and flapping when open

I understand you only see the problems on forums/groups and don't see when folks have no issues at all, but it's enough to make me hesitate and see what the 2024 refresh is like.

It's an entirely different chassis and engine. Yes, it's RWD layout but you can get them in 4WD. Also, the 3.5L is gone. Now it's a 3.0L twin turbo or a 2.3L single turbo so no more internal water pump.
How are these 2.3's holding up? I drove one and loved it but kind of scared after seeing what happens to the 1.6t and 2.0t.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
How are these 2.3's holding up? I drove one and loved it but kind of scared after seeing what happens to the 1.6t and 2.0t.

Honestly I haven’t followed the 2.3. All the groups I’m on are specific to the ST so I only really see what’s going on with the 3.0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online