3.73 Gears T5 Trans

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
So I put 4.10s in because I was auto. Now that I put the T5 in, first is literally useless and its making it a lot harder to learn than it should be. First gear is over just about as soon as I get rolling out of it. Feels like I drive a Peterbilt or something. So 3.73 users with T5's, how long is first gear? my first is like 8 feet. Would 3.73 make first longer and easier to learn? Since the 4.10s keep the rpms up, car bucks and jerks because the gear is basically over. So if I roll out of first and acc, its jumpy because I shouldve went to 2nd earlier. I need to change the gears. My mechanics saying 3.55 but I don't want to lose that punch, so I was leaning toward 3.73. Help a brotha out. Maybe even someone record how long their first gear is? That would seriously help big time. Thanks!

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
I think you should just take some time and learn how to drive it with 4.10's then decide what you want to do. Yes 3.73's will be better but it wont be a huge difference

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I think you should just take some time and learn how to drive it with 4.10's then decide what you want to do. Yes 3.73's will be better but it wont be a huge difference

I've been practicing all the time. Just the damn first gear thats making it harder. I can do smooth take offs, but it makes me shift immediately after taking off. You have vids on youtube of exhaust IIRC, do you have the link so I could check it out?

RichV

Reaction score
3:55 are ideal for a T5 with the 5.0 RPM power band.

You can work with the 4:10s, it should be easier to learn if anything.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
3:55 are ideal for a T5 with the 5.0 RPM power band.

You can work with the 4:10s, it should be easier to learn if anything.

Hmmmm.. I'm doing fine with the 4.10s, other than no first gear and shifting every 15 feet.

RichV

Reaction score
Little exaggerated, but you picked the 4:10s so deal with it. Or spend some money again.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Keep practicing, you will get it. First gear isn't meant to be driven in for a long time anyhow. Going into first and reverse should be the only thing challenging when you first start out driving stick. Go to an open area and continually practice getting out of reverse. Just be patient, I learned how to drive on an old Toyota truck that was stick and was frustrated to no end. I never wanted to drive until something just clicked for me. There's a lot of people with 4.10s and t5s, it's just hard to learn on vehicles without hydraulic clutches in my opinion

Addermk2

Reaction score
shouldve bought a transmission with a less shitty 1st gear, like a TKO600 with a 2.87 first.

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
i got 3.73's and my first is pretty short. I shift right when i barley make it out of an intersection while taking a left in first gear. But they arent too bad i can live with em.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Keep practicing brotha.. My cobra with 4.10s launched like a monster.. First is pointless but try to get it, only been a week

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Keep practicing, you will get it. First gear isn't meant to be driven in for a long time anyhow. Going into first and reverse should be the only thing challenging when you first start out driving stick. Go to an open area and continually practice getting out of reverse. Just be patient, I learned how to drive on an old Toyota truck that was stick and was frustrated to no end. I never wanted to drive until something just clicked for me. There's a lot of people with 4.10s and t5s, it's just hard to learn on vehicles without hydraulic clutches in my opinion

Got a point. I'll just keep practicing for now and when I really get the hang of it I'll decide. I think it would be a cake walk learning stick on a newer one with a hydraulic clutch. The clutch pedal in my buddys '14 track pack 5.0 is so damn light its like pushing a balloon in the wind lol..

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you're getting bucking when you shift into second all you need to do is just give it more gas when you let the clutch out. Or just don't rev 1st gear out as far, shift around 2k. Or you could just start out in 2nd gear. You will eventually get it though. That being said 4.10s are a lot of gear for a T5 but it's certainly not unheard of.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
It's all in the throttle. . Just have to learn to be smooth

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

Gotcha. When my dad drives it, its fine. Then again he drove a ups truck for like 10 years that was stick, and a stick 67 Cougar lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online