3.73 gears

777metalrb

Reaction score
Hi, my names Ryan and I'm new here! I have a quick question about 3.73 gears. I apologize in advance if there is a thread already on this forum about this topic but I'm using an app on my phone and haven't gotten used to it yet. So anyways, I'm looking to upgrade my gears to get a little more power to the pavement! I've looked on AM and other websites and they all have 3.73 and 4.10. My question is, which is better? I have a cold air intake,BBK H pipe, and American Thunder GT catback exhaust on my 1996 v6 right now. Also, would I need a bama tuner to tune my car? What else would I need to get?

Phoenix0783

Reaction score
3.73 would be enough, maybe even 3.55. You don't have the rpm range to use the 4.10s. You don't need a tuner, just the gear that goes on the end of the speedo cable.

OP
OP
777metalrb

777metalrb

Reaction score
Ok cool, but I didnt think I could get 3.55 with a 7.5 rear?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, my names Ryan and I'm new here! I have a quick question about 3.73 gears. I apologize in advance if there is a thread already on this forum about this topic but I'm using an app on my phone and haven't gotten used to it yet. So anyways, I'm looking to upgrade my gears to get a little more power to the pavement! I've looked on AM and other websites and they all have 3.73 and 4.10. My question is, which is better? I have a cold air intake,BBK H pipe, and American Thunder GT catback exhaust on my 1996 v6 right now. Also, would I need a bama tuner to tune my car? What else would I need to get?

Welcome to the forum!

Make an intro thread HERE if you haven't already.

As for gears... do you have an auto or manual?
If manual I strongly suggest 373s. Will definitely make a big difference. I believe gears are the best bang for your buck.

373 in manual make the car still very drivable and I found it had a way nicer ratio for city driving.
For the gears you'll need a speedo gear.

As for the bama tuner, please don't waste your money.
You don't need a tune for gears, exhaust and cai. A tune could help overall, but don't use a bama tuner... find someone local.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
yea if manual 3.73's are plenty. i'm still trying to get out of 1st without chirping at every stop sign or light with my 3.73's lol. can't imagine even bothering with 1st gear if i had 4.10's :p

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
yea if manual 3.73's are plenty. i'm still trying to get out of 1st without chirping at every stop sign or light with my 3.73's lol. can't imagine even bothering with 1st gear if i had 4.10's :p

I had 4.10s with my 5 speed. No first gear whatsoever..Go into 4th at 30 LOL

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So much :handz: in this thread.

Just do an 8.8 swap. You can find a complete one on craigslist or at a local junkyard. Upgrading the 7.5 to get more 'power to the ground' seems pointless.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ideally yes you want to just upgrade to the 8.8. Assuming he's on a budget, like most v6 owners are, he might just want to do gears.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here in SoCal the price of a full rear axle from a junkyard would probably be the same as buying gears, the install kit, and the labor (assuming he's not doing them himself).

Also, no you won't need a bama tuner/tune after you do gears.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
8.8 swap is what you want, they're not very expensive. If you're in CA, I've got two, I'll sell you one.
[MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION] why the hell are parts so expensive down there? According to brett a used t45 is worth like $800 down there; they're worth like 200 up here. Literally cheaper to ship it.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ferocious why the hell are parts so expensive down there? According to brett a used t45 is worth like $800 down there; they're worth like 200 up here. Literally cheaper to ship it.

LOLWUT? I got my T45 for $167 after military discount at a junkyard 15 minutes from my house.

OP
OP
777metalrb

777metalrb

Reaction score
Would a 8.8 rear end off of an explorer or jeep work? I have yet to find one off of a mustang for my car that's under $700 on eBay.. If anyone finds one can they link it here please?

99GreenStang

Reaction score
A 7.5 rearend that's got some miles on it even can handle 300rwhp. Unless he gets a killer deal on a 8.8 or upgrades the v6 to achieve over 300hp no point in it. Just throw some 3.73 gears in it and you will feel like you have a completely different machine. Gears are one of those things you can feel the improvement right away and is one of the biggest improvements you can do especially if you change to the correct gear that suits your type of driving.

OP
OP
777metalrb

777metalrb

Reaction score
Oh ok cool, well my v6 only has 77k miles on it so I guess I'm good then huh?

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
people crack me up when they think the best option is to upgrade buy method of junkyard no matter what lol. idk maybe in "socal" they have beautiful, awesome well built motors, tanny's and rear ends that are placed in rooms with carpet and comfy couches but here your ass is walking through 6"'s of mud, climbing over 7 cars just to get some old busted ass rear end off some totaled out junk lol. not to mention even finding a perfect working order 8.8 rear end lol. when he could simply swap out his gears and have brand new for a lot less bullshiit and be done with it knowing his shiit is new.

i wouldn't fuuk with no junkyard 8.8 with only 77k miles on yours.

kb1982

Reaction score
This is all opinion, but if you are going to be keeping the v6 until its on its last leg, keep the 7.5 and slap in some gears. As for which gear, it all depends on the type of driving you do mostly and what your overdrive gearing is and how tall your rear tires are. Based on running a 26 inch tall tire, assuming your aod-e has an od ratio of .70, you would be spinning 2782 rpms at 75 mph with 4.10s. The 3.73s would have you at 2531 rpms. That isnt bad at all i dont think. If you have taller tires, you will get even more speed for the same rpms. Rock the 4.10s unless you drive alot of miles on the interstate. I dont have any experience with a ford 7.5, but a gm 7.5 in my old s10 took a beating, and lived behind a healthy 350.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
people crack me up when they think the best option is to upgrade buy method of junkyard no matter what lol. idk maybe in "socal" they have beautiful, awesome well built motors, tanny's and rear ends that are placed in rooms with carpet and comfy couches but here your ass is walking through 6"'s of mud, climbing over 7 cars just to get some old busted ass rear end off some totaled out junk lol. not to mention even finding a perfect working order 8.8 rear end lol. when he could simply swap out his gears and have brand new for a lot less bullshiit and be done with it knowing his shiit is new.

i wouldn't fuuk with no junkyard 8.8 with only 77k miles on yours.

Buddy me and you think a lot alike haha. Couldn't have said it better myself! I'm still running my 7.5 behind my 308 that's got at least 400rwhp. I had the 7.5 completely rebuilt back when I first got the car like 3-4 years ago and had the V6 still in it and it's holding up just fine no problems at all.

I think the best option for the OP is to just get some 3.73 gears slap em in it and it will make him happy as ever with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online