3.73's

rob10s2

Reaction score
hey,
if i were to get 3.73's, how would i recalibrate the speedo?
Thanks!

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think your car has the gear driven speed o gear so you can just get the proper tooth gear on the trans to fix your speed 0. The electronic speed o started in 96 I think ???

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
rob10s2 said:
nice so where would i get that gear

you MAY be able to get it at your local Ford dealer, but dont quote me on that. You could order it from most any mustang parts place, my local shop would be Holcomb Motorsports in Lumberton NC.

S

scarface

I have the gear here that was sold to me for the 3:73s for my 97. ITs a 23 tooth white gear. If they are the same, Ill send it to you. I never instaled it, I bought Speedcal instead. LMK-David

G_94_T

Reaction score
97's had t-45 trannys in them.....wouldnt be the same in a t-5

94twinscrew

Reaction score
Your speedo is going to be off a hair,even with the correct colored gear.....get a speed cal,if you do end up going with them. 3.55's,and 4.10's aren't an issue though.....go figure.lol

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
I think your car has the gear driven speed o gear so you can just get the proper tooth gear on the trans to fix your speed 0. The electronic speed o started in 96 I think ???

I think they started in 1999, because I know you can't use a tuner to correct a 4.6 cobra until 1999.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Midnight_Cobra said:
Snakebit said:

I think they started in 1999, because I know you can't use a tuner to correct a 4.6 cobra until 1999.

but didnt electronic control take some kind of part in the speed o in 96 :dunno: :dunno: I think I remember reading that somewhere

Reaction score
I don't believe so, I think you are thinking of OBD II. It came out on he 4.6's in 1996. You can use a tuner for tuning, but not for changing speedometer stuff.

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
best way to do it is use a SpeedCal from DMP. yes they work on 94 & 95's because i have one on my car. it's close to dead on perfect... within 1%.

i can't see spending the time to install a speedo gear if it's not going to be accurate.

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
Snakebit said:

actually i believe they are gear and electronically controled. either one will work but the speedcal is a ton better.

plus you can just simply recalibrate it if you decide to change gear ratios down the road.

ryclef331

Reaction score
OpenRoadRacer said:
best way to do it is use a SpeedCal from DMP. yes they work on 94 & 95's because i have one on my car. it's close to dead on perfect... within 1%.

i can't see spending the time to install a speedo gear if it's not going to be accurate.

The time?! Are you serious?

I'll walk you through it.

Its ONE BOLT, ONE ELECTRICAL CONNECTION, ONE CLIP. Thats it. Jesus...Honestly, is it THAT big of a deal? 3-5mph? You should have your eyes on the road anyway.

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
OpenRoadRacer said:

Jesus...Honestly, is it THAT big of a deal? 3-5mph? You should have your eyes on the road anyway.

when the Texas DPS pull you over for going 68 in a 65, then yes... 3-5 MPH does make a difference. ::)

Nacho

Reaction score
OpenRoadRacer said:

Have you ever installed one? It literally took me 30 seconds to install. My stock tach is dead on. I saw it when I installed my aftermarket tach. The mph are also almost exact. I've driven next to other mustangs with stock gears and compared mph, and they're about the same.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online