3 bars...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know I am not the only person that has taken their horizontal tail lights off and seen the spot on the back that is covered up where a light should go and wondered how hard it would be to put a light in there? Why is there that 3rd spot to never be lit up? Imports, what ever sure but I want 3 red lights.
zCjOEdc.jpg

Well maybe I am, that is fine. There was a little nub there that I cut off just to make it easier to drill it out. Once I made a 1" hole, I used masking tape to copy the hole pattern in the other holes
gAjF99f.jpg

So now I can just twist the socket in, just like the others. The only other part is the back up light section and that will be easy enough to stick a couple small 3mm leds in it to light it up.
hS0wHR0.jpg

So now I know how hard it is to put one it. Tomorrow I will repeat it on the other side and then wire it up. Anyone else ever seen all 3 red bars lit up?

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I want video when this project is done. Pics aren’t good, as I can’t tell what is flash and what is actual bulb light. driving lights, brakes, hazards.

The bottom, I am assuming is reflective, and not as good, but if horizontal led strips work, so should bulbs. I am wondering though... ...I think they would just light up like the verticals, just with a horizontal front. Meaning each bar won’t be separate from the other. They would occupy more than one, as they currently do from the factory. But I did always wonder why the back was designed like that. Almost as if someone originally designed it to be vertical, but then, at the last minute, a designer was like “hey, remember that Mach 3 concept? I still want lights like that!”

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I ordered some led replacements for the light I put in the 3rd bar in hopes they are brighter. I think they are but I am waiting for the sun to go down to be sure. Have I ever shown you my front turn signals? I don't think I really have as this is the first or 2nd time I have really looked at them. I think I want to wire up a relay so that the regular turn signal will light up at the end of the bar instead of at the beginning but otherwise I like it.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
because of the reflectors it has some places/angles where one side will look brighter than the other but I like having them all lit up. There is a bit of a delay between the bottom light and the top two because of the bottom being led, and the top being incandescent.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Headlights: what’s with the red projector ring? I hope you only have that on when parked on private property, like a parking lot, because that’s very illegal

The signal however, I am very impressed with. Any write up?

Tail lights: Definitely need to be slowed down to 3rd brake light speed

I love the entire set up, and am anxiously waiting for a group buy :D

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Headlights: what’s with the red projector ring? I hope you only have that on when parked on private property, like a parking lot, because that’s very illegal

The signal however, I am very impressed with. Any write up?

Tail lights: Definitely need to be slowed down to 3rd brake light speed

I love the entire set up, and am anxiously waiting for a group buy :D

What’s illegal in your state isn’t necessarily illegal in all states. As long as their not flashing like a strobe, demon eyes are legal in most states. It’s when colored lights are strobing which can be considered imitating a cop car that it’s illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
What state is this where it’s legal to drive on public roads with red lights in the front? How are people supposed to know whether you’re driving towards or away from them? There are stupid roads that are poorly lit, with no painted lines. Someone may think they’re following you from behind, only to learn too late that they’re about to be involved in a head on collision. The regular headlight beam is brighter than your red, so hopefully that would never happen, but that’s why there’s a law, because you never know.

I have seen people with other colors, which, if the bulb is visible, is still illegal. They might not have ever been pulled over and cited for it, but it’s still illegal. I haven’t had a front plate on my mustang for 22 years. In my state, that’s illegal. 1/3rd of the vehicles on the road here do not have one. But they do enforce this law, as my brother, husband, and myself have been fined for it. ...but the mustang, specifically, still has never been pulled over for it by these same departments despite the decades of mileage it has spent driving past them.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that any red/blue lights on the car will draw attention from the popo. Its not something I plan on driving with just for shows and such really. The signal I got off of amazon and it took a little bit of work to get it in the light but other than that the only real challenge was I opened up the flasher circuit on the car and changed out the capacitor in it so that the flash is timed to the segmented bar so they match. It was flashing faster and the segmented bar would only go about half way before it started over.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that any red/blue lights on the car will draw attention from the popo. Its not something I plan on driving with just for shows and such really. The signal I got off of amazon and it took a little bit of work to get it in the light but other than that the only real challenge was I opened up the flasher circuit on the car and changed out the capacitor in it so that the flash is timed to the segmented bar so they match. It was flashing faster and the segmented bar would only go about half way before it started over.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
So they apparently updated the law in Indiana two years ago

https://cbs4indy.com/news/colored-car-lights-banned-starting-july-1-under-new-state-law/

Apparently the old law was too confusing and offered too many loopholes. So if, for some reason, it were legal, as of 2018, it wasn’t. It’s weird how some states have laws others do not. We had someone from IL drive all the way down to TX with a trailer to pick up a car we were selling. He was upset because one of the states he drove through ticketed him for not having any lighting on the trailer. He had to buy lamps at a truck stop. But, why was it legal where he lived? I could sorta see being bummed out when it had nothing, but once you put a vehicle on the trailer, there’s no way to tell if they are stopping or turning. I get that no one signals, but the brake lights are important. I once had a guy yell at me because I was driving with my hazards on, which somehow meant he couldn’t see my brake lights. Does that really happen in the 94s? Hazards override brakes? I guess the cheesy 3rd brake light located one inch above the taillights wasn’t enough of a warning in broad day light, but it should have been obvious what I planned on doing at the red light.

back on topic - the amazon signal is cool, and we definitely need a write up on it.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not aware of anyplace that allows for trailers with no lighting. Maybe out in the country where he knows the cop and they are doing short trips but from Il to Tx with no lighting is just insane.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am not aware of anyplace that allows for trailers with no lighting. Maybe out in the country where he knows the cop and they are doing short trips but from Il to Tx with no lighting is just insane.

What gets me is Kentucky doesn’t require plates on trailers. One would think that would cause issues as you drive across different states.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I am not aware of anyplace that allows for trailers with no lighting.

This was in the mid aughts. It’s very possible that, like Indiana, Illinois had a law, but it was too confusing or had too many loopholes so he assumed what he was doing was legal in his state because no one ever told him it wasn’t. I mean, why even produce such a trailer if it cannot be used legally on public roads?

but from Il to Tx with no lighting is just insane.

Honestly, I think driving from IL to TX for a 1992 Mercury Capri is pretty insane, even if he collected those specific vehicles as a hobby. Then again, if it weren’t for guys like him, those vehicles probably would have all been crushed by now. Not exactly a sought out collector car, sadly.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
This was in the mid aughts. It’s very possible that, like Indiana, Illinois had a law, but it was too confusing or had too many loopholes so he assumed what he was doing was legal in his state because no one ever told him it wasn’t. I mean, why even produce such a trailer if it cannot be used legally on public roads?

Honestly, I think driving from IL to TX for a 1992 Mercury Capri is pretty insane, even if he collected those specific vehicles as a hobby. Then again, if it weren’t for guys like him, those vehicles probably would have all been crushed by now. Not exactly a sought out collector car, sadly.
he should have just taken a pick up truck and put the capri in the back of it.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
last week I saw my neighbor loading his lawnmower into his lincoln. It was one of the lincoln trucks but it still just seemed funny to see and say.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
A Lincoln truck? I didn’t know those could be used for utilitarian purposes. I mean, beyond hauling groceries, of course.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A Lincoln truck? I didn’t know those could be used for utilitarian purposes. I mean, beyond hauling groceries, of course.

If it was the Lincoln Blackwood then nope, bed cover didn’t come off and only opened a bit plus the bed was carpeted.

If it was the Lincoln Mark LT then it was just a fancy f150 with nothing special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online