306 -VS- 331 Stroker

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Ok on a BUDGET, I'd have to say 306, that is boring out your stock 302, then going from there. If your buying an aftermarket 306, don't waist the time, 331's arent THAT much more and can make mega power.

OP
OP
K

kyle94gt

Reaction score
Yeah I am taking a complete motor out of a donor and stripping it down as I just mainly want the block due to it being a great shape and already seasoned good. By the way it's going into a daily driver with richmond 3.73's in the rear and changing to a C4 sooner than later. AOD's :boink:

stang94X

Reaction score
if your going to rebuild the whole thing i would go 331 cause if you buy all new parts then it wont be a big difference between a 306 and 331, but if your going to use stock parts then of course a 306, but i wouldnt build anything without a steel crank and forged rods and pistons

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
just a question, if your even considering doing a 331 why not just step up to a 5.8 block and do it??? You can get a rebuild kit for it for around 500 bucks

95PGTTech

Reaction score
I voted 4 cylinder ricer, in particular, a k24 forged rotating assembly with a skunk2-prepped k20a2 cylinder head.

reasons:
1. something completely different, unexpected, shocking, and requiring massive amounts of talent, effort, and fabrication skills
2. done properly, it will make good power and save you a TON of weight - which is just as good as a huge power number from a pushrod v8
3. fuel economy, reliability, etc. are not an issue.

It would be different, and require massive balls to even try.

Stangbangin

Reaction score
95PGTTech said:
I voted 4 cylinder ricer, in particular, a k24 forged rotating assembly with a skunk2-prepped k20a2 cylinder head.

reasons:
1. something completely different, unexpected, shocking, and requiring massive amounts of talent, effort, and fabrication skills
2. done properly, it will make good power and save you a TON of weight - which is just as good as a huge power number from a pushrod v8
3. fuel economy, reliability, etc. are not an issue.

It would be different, and require massive balls to even try.
If anyone were to attempt something like that I would buy the car from them.........so I could burn it./

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Stangbangin said:
If anyone were to attempt something like that I would buy the car from them.........so I could burn it./

why? it'd be balls-out fast compared to the giant anchor known as a pushrod motor...I love working on 5.0's, but seriously, it's a friggin ton compared to an all aluminum four cylinder.

when making a car fast, you can either make more power or ditch more weight. what exactly wouldn't be beneficial about removing a couple hundred pounds from the front of a mustang, for a street, strip, or autocross car?

stang94X

Reaction score
95PGTTech said:
Stangbangin said:

why? it'd be balls-out fast compared to the giant anchor known as a pushrod motor...I love working on 5.0's, but seriously, it's a friggin ton compared to an all aluminum four cylinder.

when making a car fast, you can either make more power or ditch more weight. what exactly wouldn't be beneficial about removing a couple hundred pounds from the front of a mustang, for a street, strip, or autocross car?

personaly, i say hell no to four and six cyl, i know some can make em fast, just not my preference, but i would do both, make more power and ditch all the weight, there are aluminum 302 and 351 blocks ya can buy, and if i had the money i would have one

CanaryGT

Reaction score
A 4 cyl just doesnt sound like the V8..... I like it to growl!!! :comando: :comando: :comando:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online