331 questions

Spyder

Reaction score
I just have a couple questions concerning a 331 i might be purchasing, and i was hoping some of you guys might be able to help me

Im looking at a 331 stroker, forged JE pistons and I-beam rods. The crank is stock and there is also a girdle.

My question is concerning the heads. The heads the guy has on it are the cast iron Roush 200 heads.

The intake runners are 200cc and the valves have been upgraded to 2.08 int, and 1.90 ex. Also it has high strength double valve springs.

With the 64cc combustion chanber the compression ration is checking in at about 8:1. It was built for boost, then he abomndoned the project.

My question is, are these heads too mush to run N/A?
With that compression ratio, is it gonna be a turd?

Now, i have a set of Edelbrock Performer 5.0 heads. They are aluminum, 170cc intake runners. 1.90 and 1.60 valves, and a 60cc chamber.

would the heads i have be enough for a 331?
Edelbrock states that these heads can be used on a 351, so does that mean they will be enough for a 331?
Also, what would my compression go up to from the 64cc roushs to the 60cc edelbrocks?

Any help would be much appreciated.

ryclef331

Reaction score
First off, I'd be wary of someone saying a storker crank is "stock." He probably meant "cast." You need to be sure your info is correct and you know everything about that motor.

Second, you need to know EXACTLY what kind of pistons he is running...I'm talking down to the part #. Also the type of head gasket. As for the heads, I'd say the 200cc roush heads might be better off for you running NA but if he's running a dished piston (more than likely if he's claiming 8:1 CR), the motor is going to be a dog regardless. The Roush heads sound like a better head for that motor. The only benefit I see in running the performers is the fact that the aluminum is more resistant to retaining heat in the combustion chamber there by lessening your chances of detonation BUT if you make SURE you run 93 octane at all times, this is a moot point. The smaller runners and valves will boost low end tq but the motor will fall on its face above 4,500 rpms.

As for the compression, I can calculate it provided you know the part number of the piston OR how many cc's the dish of the piston has plus valve reliefs but with only a 4cc difference, it isn't going to go up much.

OP
OP
S

Spyder

Reaction score
OKay, your right, i meant cast not stock as far as the crank.

The head gasket is a fel pro loc wire head gasket.

As far as the piston part numbers, im not sure, but i can try to find out. All he said is that the are JE forged pistons.

Also, being that im in utah, the highest octane we have is 91, i wish we had 93 though.

fastNA 95GT

Reaction score
those heads wont fly it will be a pig you need a 60cc at least or a 58cc to get you around 10.5.1 and run on 93 or91

AFR 185s with a 2.02 valve and no less spend the money now not twice down the road your putting pistons in buy ones for a bigger vale

the top half is very important to strokers I speak from expiernce

no cobra intakes or gt40 stuff stay away been down that road. was told to ditch that and bought a performer rpm intake made 399rwhp and 405rwtq

i went form 1290 to 1160s with a top half change on my 347 and 331 's rev higher and make more power so remeber that.

use at least a 75mm tb and an 80mm mass air no 75mm 77mm.and told me to ditch my co

this was all stuff i was told by ed curtis from flowtechinduction.com his work speaks for itself.

i just listened to him and he guranteed 11's like butter

my intake is 4 sale with a 75mm tb check in classifieds.im building a 364cid motor requires a spider intake i got a good price on it pm me.

fastNA 95GT

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
hey rycleff hows it going ? did i sell a 6lb lower for your lightning last year on nloc? cant rember if so hows it runnin my user name is 04lighn95stang on nloc

ryclef331

Reaction score
fastNA 95GT said:
those heads wont fly it will be a pig you need a 60cc at least or a 58cc to get you around 10.5.1 and run on 93 or91

AFR 185s with a 2.02 valve and no less spend the money now not twice down the road your putting pistons in buy ones for a bigger vale

the top half is very important to strokers I speak from expiernce

no cobra intakes or gt40 stuff stay away been down that road. was told to ditch that and bought a performer rpm intake made 399rwhp and 405rwtq

i went form 1290 to 1160s with a top half change on my 347 and 331 's rev higher and make more power so remeber that.

use at least a 75mm tb and an 80mm mass air no 75mm 77mm.and told me to ditch my co

this was all stuff i was told by ed curtis from flowtechinduction.com his work speaks for itself.

i just listened to him and he guranteed 11's like butter

my intake is 4 sale with a 75mm tb check in classifieds.im building a 364cid motor requires a spider intake i got a good price on it pm me.

I got nothing off hand but I'd be willing to be that his worked over Roush Heads can probably flow as much if not more than those 185's. 185's are great heads. I LOVE mine but if he already has them, RUN'em. As for his compression ratio...if its at 8 something to 1 right now....4 cc isn't going to bump it that much. My bet is his pistons are probably dished for a power adder platform. I'd build it as is with the roush's and spray the SHIT out of it other wise, pass on it unless you want to change pistons.

ryclef331

Reaction score
fastNA 95GT said:
ryclef331 said:
hey rycleff hows it going ? did i sell a 6lb lower for your lightning last year on nloc? cant rember if so hows it runnin my user name is 04lighn95stang on nloc

Oh whats up man! Yeah it was me. I actually sold the truck shortly after I bought the pulley from ya. Gas was kicking my ass in it. I bought a lexus that I'm about to ditch now for a 2500 Cummins Ram. Your 95 sounds pretty stout. We got VERY similar combos....any times?

Green 94 331

Reaction score
fastNA 95GT said:
going down to 60cc or even 58cc wont even get him close to 10.5:1. nothing short of a new set of pistons will get him anywhere near a cr that high. on my 331 going from the 61cc 185's down to the 58cc 185's raised the comp ratio from 8.8:1 to 9.0:1.

fastNA 95GT

Reaction score
I found it a little ironic that we had the same truck and car running the same times almost.

my car went 11.63 at 117.10 and 11.70consistanly not bad with a 5spd stock upper and lower control arms on a 26 8.5 15 etdrag on lincoln town car wheel with 17inch cobra wheels up front which it would get a little daylight under.

Never got a good tune in it and it needed more rear gear 3.73 had had atleast a thousand rpm going into 4th left

never got around to it melted a piston NA which people found hard to believe.

when I street raced mt car I had my car searched for spray so many times it was getting annoying no could believe they got beat by a na car that bad

OP
OP
S

Spyder

Reaction score
I got nothing off hand but I'd be willing to be that his worked over Roush Heads can probably flow as much if not more than those 185's. 185's are great heads. I LOVE mine but if he already has them, RUN'em. As for his compression ratio...if its at 8 something to 1 right now....4 cc isn't going to bump it that much. My bet is his pistons are probably dished for a power adder platform. I'd build it as is with the roush's and spray the SHIT out of it other wise, pass on it unless you want to change pistons.
[/quote]

you think that with the roush heads and 8:1 compression it would run like shit without some spray though? I was thinking about just getting it and running it the way its set up, then adding some spray for when im racing, but i dont want it to be a turd without the bottle.

ryclef331

Reaction score
It'll probably be stronger than your stock motor but not by much....look at it this way...you could run 87 octane when you're not spraying!

In all seriousness, it probably will be a dog without the bottle....dog being like 275-300hp but you could hit it with a 200hp plate kit and run like a raped ape on the sauce. If the money is right, go for it but i wouldn't expect miracles on motor alone.

OP
OP
S

Spyder

Reaction score
Well, to be honest, im not looking for a 375 hp stroker. I just want something that runs for hell sake.

But at the same time, i dont want a 331 that runs like a 4 banger untill i dump some sauce down its throat.

I think this engine would be just as good as what i had if not a little better, and it would be able to handle quite the shot of nitrous.

fastNA 95GT

Reaction score
you dont want a 375 horse motor but its real easy to get there with a 331 na

and it will make somewhere around 390400rwhp and torque will be there too.

and all you have to do is run premium gas.

you ll want that hp though the next time you get mopped up by an ls1. that s what broke my camels back.

good luck and if you by my stuff youll be halfway there. heads and a dss sort block and youll be cooking

OP
OP
S

Spyder

Reaction score
well, im thinking about having a machine shop build it locally and just sticking my edelbrocks on there for now. So hopefully that will get me by

Trickflow.GT

Reaction score
stick a blower on with that low compression and crank up the boost!!! :banana:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.