331 Stroker Questions.

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
When i figure it out, You'll be the first to know.
Yeah I got a thanks.. Just didn't know if you ever got it on. You put the car away I think last I heard..

Oh okay, Yeah I drove the car for most of the summer, but then my rad went, so I just garaged it for the rest of the year, Soon as the weather gets warmer i'll pick up a rad and get her out and about. :) I am hoping with all the stuff I fixed, I would have to get a cond pass this year... that one of the main reasons I am giving consideration to building a 351 now, cause if I carb it, I can get around e-test ... :) I have already contacted a friend of mine and he is willing to help me build and swap the new motor, when I get afford it..

Addermk2

Reaction score
There is no need to cripple (carb) the car. The EFI system in the car now, will run a 351w without hesitation.

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
Good thing the person you're talking with is a tuning wizard ----> https://www.facebook.com/64bittuning

LOL!, I guess it is eh, I am still finding out who's who on this board, The more I read, I wish I had the cash to do this swap now... I need to get to colouring.. sooner I get this portfolio finished, the sooner I can submit it :)

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Im starting to think that I'll have my car done and tuned before you get your engine back.

I really want to see what kind of power we can pull from that little baby 427.

You're probably right lol... It's been there over a week now, he called and confirmed they started working on it last Monday so I should hear something soon.

95opal

Reaction score
Really no sense doing a 351 unless you stroke it. Being your on a limited budget and just looking for a bit more power you might consider just throwing a blower on your current combo. If you hit corral classifieds you can scoop a set up for under $1800 which will be cheaper than both a 331 or 351 based combo. Your current heads are to small for either of the motor combos discussed and to be honest youll be into a good set of heads for either of those motor combos for the same price as a used vortech.

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
Really no sense doing a 351 unless you stroke it. Being your on a limited budget and just looking for a bit more power you might consider just throwing a blower on your current combo. If you hit corral classifieds you can scoop a set up for under $1800 which will be cheaper than both a 331 or 351 based combo. Your current heads are to small for either of the motor combos discussed and to be honest youll be into a good set of heads for either of those motor combos for the same price as a used vortech.

I have been looking around and talking to a few buddies, I am gonna do all the other stuff to my car first, New wheels, tires, Suspension, Exhaust, Paint DFG, (badge less), (wingless), and I may even do a IRS swap before I do a new motor. the motor in it now is new... I need to have a good foundation first before getting more power... I have so many other things to do, before I get into a new motor... But when I do it will be a 331 Stroker, and it will be a good motor, forged and with decent heads and intakes... Better then GT40... I am planning on keeping this car for the rest of my life, I already have so much money into it, might as well go all in :)

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
Your gt40 heads will work. You just have to drill the stud holes open to accept I think a 1/2 stud vs a 302 7/16 stud... Im pretty sure those numbers are right but id look it up to be sure. from what I understand, the f150 351s heads where the same casting as e7 heads. So its not like youre majorly choking the engine down with gt40s. The lightnings even had them.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
Okay so here's another question, being as my motor is NEW... could I do a decent set of heads, Cam and lower intake with supporting mods, and make 400+ Crank? would my stock block be reliable?. I love the way my 5.0 sounds, Thinking about it more.. a 331 stroker sounds amazing, but there's something about how my car sounds... I had an older dude comment on it one day when I fired it up in a parking lot... "Nothing like the sound of a 5 Oh" he says to me... and he's right. this route would be considerable less money, and it's something I can do myself without having to pull the whole motor...

Also: How far will my cobra upper take me? HP/TQ wise?

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
I have a ford racing catalog and it says its good for 350 horses.
a9y9ybet.jpg

95opal

Reaction score
Your gt40 heads will work. You just have to drill the stud holes open to accept I think a 1/2 stud vs a 302 7/16 stud... Im pretty sure those numbers are right but id look it up to be sure. from what I understand, the f150 351s heads where the same casting as e7 heads. So its not like youre majorly choking the engine down with gt40s. The lightnings even had them.

Yes you can physically make them work but the fact is there a very small head and are in my mind marginal at best for a 302 build. Putting them on a 351 build is just defeating the purpose of going big. 302 parts make 302 power

Okay so here's another question, being as my motor is NEW... could I do a decent set of heads, Cam and lower intake with supporting mods, and make 400+ Crank? would my stock block be reliable?. I love the way my 5.0 sounds, Thinking about it more.. a 331 stroker sounds amazing, but there's something about how my car sounds... I had an older dude comment on it one day when I fired it up in a parking lot... "Nothing like the sound of a 5 Oh" he says to me... and he's right. this route would be considerable less money, and it's something I can do myself without having to pull the whole motor...

Also: How far will my cobra upper take me? HP/TQ wise?

Nothing wrong with going HCI for you, your cobra upper is fine its the lower that could use a port job. Even a simple HCI is gonna change the sound of your car a bit, youll be moving more air= more noise lol

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
Yes you can physically make them work but the fact is there a very small head and are in my mind marginal at best for a 302 build. Putting them on a 351 build is just defeating the purpose of going big. 302 parts make 302 power

Nothing wrong with going HCI for you, your cobra upper is fine its the lower that could use a port job. Even a simple HCI is gonna change the sound of your car a bit, youll be moving more air= more noise lol

Okay, then I am gonna do that when the time is right, like I said I wanna get some other stuff done first... then I can get a nice top end, and all the supporting mods... I am also hoping to get a custom grid cam, I want more torque then anything, might even ditch my FR headers, and get a set of Long tubes LOL!... Thanks for all the advice and info guys... I know it's a ways off, but it's nice having a plan ahead of time.. :)

Don

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If I was to purchase a 331 stroker kit, would my heads and intakes support the this upgrade?

I'd strongly recommend looking into nicer heads as it'll really let the CID come out. The intakes are sufficient but you might want to loook into upgrading them when the time comes.

What size injectors would I need for this setup?

30# would do nicely. 24# would be all you need if you just stroked it but 30# leaves you not needing to upgrade them for a long time with further mods.

Should I upgrade my TB as well?.

You're running a stock TB? If so, definitely upgrade to a 65mm minimum. I'd also suggest a MAF 10mm over throttle body diameter.

Should I get a different Cam?

A lot of people give letter cams a hard time but I have still yet to come across a reason not to like them. They're easily compatible and the specs are nicely balanced. I'd say simply stick with the E303, it'll do you just fine.

Should I upgrade my Fuel Pump?

A 255lph fuel pump is what I'd do with. You don't want to go through all this work and starve the engine of fuel.

If you don't have the money to support the stroker then wait till you do.

teal95gt

Reaction score
you can always do a coyote swap hehe, I weighed my options for a new engine and came to the conclusion you will have same power and much better mpg and drivability. It will cost a bit more initially but will pay for itself over time or if you go to sell the car.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cost of stroker - about 2g when it's all said and done

cost of coyote - we'll call it 7g

Now have an engine with overhead cams that's like twice the size with the same power? shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit no

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
I am gonna stick with my 306 base... when money permits.. I will do a H/I/C swap to something bigger and all the supporting mods... I wanted to keep my upper cobra intake as it was gifted to me by a friend while Sophia was in treatment.. but if I have to upgrade, I will have the upper made into a sculpture or hang it in my studio... My goal is 350 RWHP, and as much torque as I can get... I will be going with 10 inch rears with 285, bigger if I can. But I can't run dumps where I am so I need tails... so this limits my tire size.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You'll be able to fit a 315 in with the right wheels. [MENTION=19063]Josh[/MENTION] hooten has pipes, 315's, and bullit wheels.

EDIT: anyone that knows Josh's username please tag him.

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone 4S

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online