350 hP should be enough

Armydad

Reaction score
Well after alot of thought and accounting I decided that for me 350hp is all thats needed. Except for a few Vettes and a Camaro here and there I should not be taking too much crap from other vehicles at this hp range.

I Came to this decision for a couple reasons the biggest was that I really really did not want to forge the bottom end.
Also at this hp my wife can still drive if an emergency pops up :lame:

I wiil go with the Steen stg 2 pi swap,and crower blower cams. Steen says their stg1 heads are good for 300 hp n/a, so I figure the stg 2's will give a litle more, and then the cams, not the real radical one I don't want ptv issues. Also I will have Steen open up the chambers to get the compression back down to stock. Then I'm thowing the FRPP blower on. With headers , exhaust, 75mm TB, CAI,good wires and plugs, I should be at 350-365. I will also be going with 3.73 FRPP gears.

Am I overlooking anything or did I forget something, any thought would be appreciated

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
You having a nice head/cam combo and THEN putting a blower on and expect to be at 350hp? Do you mean rwhp or fwhp? The reason I ask is because a regular PI motor with full bolt ons and a set of mild cams ( like the VT stage 1's ) with a great tune will do close to 300 RWHP. Your having worked heads and cams so with a tune you should DEFINATELY be at 300RWHP and then your adding a blower to the mix............I would say you would be closer to 400RWHP, but I don't know what % in hp gain that blower you are going to use offers :dunno:

jpajkos

Reaction score
Since your sticking N/A it sounds like with no power adder I would go ahead and have the block bored and stroked. Your setup with a nice bore and stroked motor you will have your 350. I know with my new assembly I will be around that as well. A good tune will be key with those cams and some advanced timing and a few other little things here and there that 350 horsepower will feel like 500.

OP
OP
A

Armydad

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
You having a nice head/cam combo and THEN putting a blower on and expect to be at 350hp? Do you mean rwhp or fwhp? The reason I ask is because a regular PI motor with full bolt ons and a set of mild cams ( like the VT stage 1's ) with a great tune will do close to 300 RWHP. Your having worked heads and cams so with a tune you should DEFINATELY be at 300RWHP and then your adding a blower to the mix............I would say you would be closer to 400RWHP, but I don't know what % in hp gain that blower you are going to use offers :dunno:

First yes I am talking 350-360 to the wheels. And yes you are also correct that stg 2 heads and cams may be more than needed. Steens stg 1 heads will give 300 hp, so I may go with them. Before I buy any heads or cams I will talk with these guys for recomendations first.

The FRPP blower is not a high output, which is why I am choosing it. Approx 25-30% .After talking with DropTop I feel that this blower will give me plenty of bottom end, but will not produce stupid amounts of boost. It will be a good finishing touch to some good heads and cams to get my car into the 350-360 rwhp range. This, with some 3.73's will give me a very nasty but not over the top Pony, without yolking the engine and building up the bottom, swapping in a tko, axels, yadda, yadda yadda. :dancing6:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well with all that I still think you will be over your 350rwhp mark 8), I would say more like 375-390 ish

OP
OP
A

Armydad

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
Well with all that I still think you will be over your 350rwhp mark 8), I would say more like 375-390 ish

Really! Well from what I've seen on this board you are definitely one of the dudes to listen to, so I will happily accept your prediction. :banana: 375hp would be outstanding, however I will try to stay under 390, I want to stay away from 400 mostly for the bottom end. Agin thanks, I'll make sure I don't get overly aggressive and overshoot my stated goals.

I know you are a fan of forged bottoms, but if I truely do stay at 350-375, and again I'm an old fart so I will not be beating on it constantly, do you think the stock bottom, tranny etc will be ok? :noes:

OP
OP
A

Armydad

Reaction score
SilverSol said:
Snakebit said:

don't forget to throw on some vinyl graphics to give you a few more ponies :hammer:

Perhaps even a Turbonator!

S

scarface

You will def. be over your goal. I have NON pi heads, with PI intake, HP blower cams, LT's, and the other basic bolt ons, and i was at 385whp at 8 psi after my last tune.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
scarface said:
You will def. be over your goal. I have NON pi heads, with PI intake, HP blower cams, LT's, and the other basic bolt ons, and i was at 385whp at 8 psi after my last tune.

I was going to use you as my PRIME EXAMPLE but I wasnt sure if you had the PI swap, and I didint know what all you do have so :dunno:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Armydad said:
Snakebit said:

Really! Well from what I've seen on this board you are definitely one of the dudes to listen to, so I will happily accept your prediction. :banana: 375hp would be outstanding, however I will try to stay under 390, I want to stay away from 400 mostly for the bottom end. Agin thanks, I'll make sure I don't get overly aggressive and overshoot my stated goals.

I know you are a fan of forged bottoms, but if I truely do stay at 350-375, and again I'm an old fart so I will not be beating on it constantly, do you think the stock bottom, tranny etc will be ok? :noes:

Pushing a motor too hard is easy to do with any form of forced induction, that's why a GREAT tune is imperative. As long as you have a good dyno shop do a safe tune on you finished project I'm sure you will be fine. I myself have non forged internals and will be getting blown in a few months with a goal of around 450-490 rwhp on my cobra. There are tons of Cobras/ and GT's with non forged bottoms and they run fine, its all in the tune and NOT getting over greedy with the boost level. Look at 95kbgt even though his is a 302 he has NON forged internals and hes running 11 pounds of boost from a KB blower............and so far his motor is fine. :)

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
my friend has an '01 Cobra. He had his motor built to '03-'04 specs. Tranny has been rebuilt as well. That thing sounds evil too.

here's a pic of his Cobra

FloriesCobra.jpg

OP
OP
A

Armydad

Reaction score
scarface said:

Wow, nice. Are yor heads p&pd? Also it sounds like you have a centri style blower, and you say your running 8psi. The FRPP is a roots blowe at 6psi so it will not have the same output as yours.

By HP cams do you mean Houston Performance? I've talked to Steve there and he was real nice, I was thinking of there cams as well. but I have used Crower in the past and love their stuff. Tough choice.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Armydad said:
scarface said:

Wow, nice. Are yor heads p&pd? Also it sounds like you have a centri style blower, and you say your running 8psi. The FRPP is a roots blowe at 6psi so it will not have the same output as yours.

By HP cams do you mean Houston Performance? I've talked to Steve there and he was real nice, I was thinking of there cams as well. but I have used Crower in the past and love their stuff. Tough choice.

no Im pretty sure his heads are bone stock, and yes he has a cent blower with the novi he runs. The thing your blower will offer over his is the low end tq from that roots blower and with it being on a tq lacking non PI 281 cubic inch motor............you need that extra umphhhhh :)

OP
OP
A

Armydad

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
Armydad said:
scarface said:

no Im pretty sure his heads are bone stock, and yes he has a cent blower with the novi he runs. The thing your blower will offer over his is the low end tq from that roots blower and with it being on a tq lacking non PI 281 cubic inch motor............you need that extra umphhhhh :)

Hey Snake,
Yeah , I likes my low end nice and grunty :naughty:, Let me ask you being as how I am looking to make 350-360 and not much more, do you think I could get there withe ported npi heads and blower cams + the FRPP roots blower ? If I could do that ,then no comp issues, I could save some cash not getting new heads etc.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Armydad said:
Snakebit said:
Armydad said:
scarface said:

Hey Snake,
Yeah , I likes my low end nice and grunty :naughty:, Let me ask you being as how I am looking to make 350-360 and not much more, do you think I could get there withe ported npi heads and blower cams + the FRPP roots blower ? If I could do that ,then no comp issues, I could save some cash not getting new heads etc.

I remember calling Livernois Motorsports back when I had my 98 about a year and a half ago. I was interested in getting heads and I had seen a article in a mag about Ported NON PI heads, they offered like 40 or 50 hp over unported ones. However the down side was they were expensive :-\ I cant remember for sure how much but I want to say like 1500 :dunno:. But you may be able to find a set on corrall or eBay or something like that :dunno:. Either way going by what other guys have and what you want to do I would think you could get close to 350rwhp with the stock heads, and some blower cams on top.

jpajkos

Reaction score
350 won't be a problem with that setup. A good port and polish will go a long way.

S

scarface

Armydad said:
scarface said:

Yeah, stock 97 gt heads, with Houston Performance HP 292 blower cams. I run a now MAXED out Novi-1000. I WAS running 8 psi at the last tune. I now run Meth injection and I am at 12psi. (no dyno/tune yet)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online