351w

d.garza18

Reaction score
i know this is 94-95 specific 5.0 but it’s the pushrod section so I figured I’d ask here. Delete if not okay... anyhow I replaced the head gasket on my uncles 1989 Ford F-150 with the 351w, torque the head to spec and in the right sequence. However I’m not really familiar with these style rockers, the only ones I’ve ever messed with were on my camaro and those were easy. They are the stock ones which are pedestal mount if I’m correct. I will post a picture below. I did some research and from what I read and watched it said to torque to 20-25ft lbs, I attempted to torque the first one down and the bolt snapped..... I removed it and left it there. So what did I do wrong here?

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
d98ca18006f7edd0145f14b168ae4969.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07GtS197

Reaction score

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You gotta go slow and smooth but that still shouldn’t of snapped a bolt. I’d question the torque wrench’s accuracy.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
A quick google search said 18-20 ft lbs with emphasis on slowly torquing them down after they are hand tightened.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-6564-All.pdf

Perhaps the stud was defective anyway but anyway it’ll have to be replaced so its pointless to speculate what happened.

I did attempt to torque down another one but it wouldn’t torque down, and I didn’t want to snap another one s I left it at that

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Don’t do that. Nobody ever sets them back to true 0 and they’re abused. Your possibly putting double the spec. Torque wrenches is one time you need to know 110% for sure that you have a good solid accurate tool.

Anyway I can get around it without torquing them?

Chip66

Reaction score
Anyway I can get around it without torquing them?

For how long?

Those that are over-torqued are likely to break. Those that are under will likely work themselves loose.

I'd trust a Harbor Freight torque wrench before I'd trust a rental.

You can fairly easily test the accuracy of a torque wrench. There are plenty of videos out there on how to do this.

A quality torque wrench is an absolute must when engine building.

CobraEd

Reaction score
The official 1985 Ford shop manual says the torque spec for rocker arm bolts on 351W is 18 to 25 ft lbs so you were using an appropriate torque spec. Spec should be the same for later years. It sounds like the rocker arm fulcrum bolts may have been substantially over tightened. When over tightened too much, the bolt stretches too much and loses it's torsional strength. It sounds like you should replace all of the rocker arm bolts.

Werecow

Reaction score
Another thing, since your dealin with lower torque specs it may work out better for you to use a 1/4 inch torque wrench and convert it from foot-pounds to inchpounds. A Google search will be able to help you out with that conversation.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
From what i understand about the old pushrod world, broken rocker arm bolts are a common thing, so dont give yourself to the stupid side. I think you are doing great by asking others and this happening is a great learning experience.

It might work out better just surrendering to the purchase of new bolts. Tiny bolts made back in 89 dont stretch and secure like their newer versions today

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online