4.10s - Do I have everything needed?

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
His car is an automatic. The AODE is computer controlled. The PCM controls the shift points, which are going to be affected by the gears as the car will climb faster through the RPM range, thus why a tune would be beneficial.

That's what I'm missing.
I have the mind set of manual because I own a 5 speed. The computer aspect makes sense but it still definitely shouldn't be needed for the gear upgrade.

Sent via swagPhone 5.0 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
His car is an automatic. The AODE is computer controlled. The PCM controls the shift points, which are going to be affected by the gears as the car will climb faster through the RPM range, thus why a tune would be beneficial.

So basically I should start saving for a chip.......

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ryan's 5 speed to ... I'm sure you'll be fine for a while with out a chip

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So basically I should start saving for a chip.......

Ryan's 5 speed to ... I'm sure you'll be fine for a while with out a chip

Musturd is right. You'll be fine with or without it.

I had 4.10s in my auto for about 2 years and I never had a problem. And no my car did not bounce off the rev-limiter everytime I went WOT.

Just get a tune to compensate for everything when you do your HCI swap, it'll save you the money of having to tune it twice.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Like I said, you don't need it.
I had 4.10s in my auto for about 2 years and I never had a problem. And no my car did not bounce off the rev-limiter everytime I went WOT.

Just get a tune to compensate for everything when you do your HCI swap, it'll save you the money of having to tune it twice.

Appreciate the input. I don't go wot often, haven't in a long long time.

ProKiller

Reaction score
as far as the parts you have, yes you're good to go. doing a rebuild for $125 is pretty cheap so i would do it just because you are in there.

i hate those speedcal's. don't waste your money on them. better off getting speedo gears to correct it rather than the speedcal.

tune topic, is it required, no. is it a good thing to do to dial in the auto shift points, sure. but you don't need it day one. i would just wait till you get H/C/I installed.

Addermk2

Reaction score
i hate those speedcal's. don't waste your money on them. better off getting speedo gears to correct it rather than the speedcal.

Already covered this. Speedo gears will not correct for 4.10's and an auto. The best he can correct for is 3.55.

He needs a speedcal.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

iamtheshaner

Reaction score
You need a pinion seal, nut and crush sleeve, flange installation tool, pinion shims and carrier shims as well. I'd recommend a pinion shim gauge set too, given you are interested in setting it up correctly the first time. I suppose you could slap in all the old stuff with the new gears but I wouldn't count on a rear end that doesn't whine, vibrate or leak.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
You need a pinion seal, nut and crush sleeve, flange installation tool, pinion shims and carrier shims as well. I'd recommend a pinion shim gauge set too, given you are interested in setting it up correctly the first time. I suppose you could slap in all the old stuff with the new gears but I wouldn't count on a rear end that doesn't whine, vibrate or leak.

I'm not doing the installation. The bearing kit I got came with all of that new stuff to replace the old crap, nothing will be original in the rear end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online