4.10s - Do I have everything needed?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Pretty sure I have everything I need for my gear swap.
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears
Motive Bearings
Royal Purple 75W something gear oil - 2 quarts
Ford racing friction modifier

Waiting on a speedcal and than I should be good to go right?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds like everything to me.

You can also rebuild your trac-lok while you're in there.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
x2 I would suggest doing that so you don't have to later. I wish I would have

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
x2 I would suggest doing that so you don't have to later. I wish I would have

I think I just might, $75 now is better than hundreds later.. I just texted my guy to see how much more I'd have to pay to add the t-lok rebuild kit.. Hopefully not a lot.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Talked to him. Extra $50.. So for another $125 realistically, its worth it. Rather than a year from now needing the rear end opened and paying for all that crap.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
With your low miles, you'd be fine without rebuilding the trac-lok. But the peace of mind might be worth the extra $125 to you, so it's your call.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
With your low miles, you'd be fine without rebuilding the trac-lok. But the peace of mind might be worth the extra $125 to you, so it's your call.

Yeah the low miles was making me lean towards not getting the rebuild kit.. But looking at it this way, rear end will be open, everything will be new except the trak lok, and that means the 19 year old original trak lok will stay that way.. So I think I'd feel better with everything brand new inside there. Knowing my luck I'll leave it, year from now it would need a rebuild.. And I'd pay for the kit, pay for the labor to open the rear end and do that shit lol.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter if you have low miles. If you've done a burnout or launched the car or anything of that sort, you've put strain on the posi clutches.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter if you have low miles. If you've done a burnout or launched the car or anything of that sort, you've put strain on the posi clutches.

Ditto.. I'm guilty of all the above lol.. I'll be ordering the rebuild kit soon hopefully.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
What kind of asshole said you need a tune??
Speed cal isn't required that just fixes your speedometer from being thrown off by the new ratio.

Sent via swagPhone 5.0 using Tapatalk

A guy on another site, pretty sure he's on here too.. I know I'd need the speedcal so it can fix the speedo, but a tune?

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
[MENTION=10547]CC'S95GT[/MENTION] - you have 4.10s right? Did you need a dyno tune?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
They were in when I got the car. I don't know why you woould need a tune for a gear install but I have a 5 speed.
Maybe for an auto.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
They were in when I got the car. I don't know why you woould need a tune for a gear install but I have a 5 speed.
Maybe for an auto.

Ah gotcha. Idk either, Adder on the other site is telling me I need a tune.

Addermk2

Reaction score
What kind of asshole said you need a tune??
Speed cal isn't required that just fixes your speedometer from being thrown off by the new ratio.

The asshole who gets paid to fix peoples cars after they try to do things on their own, and screw up.

You'll figure it out when you get the gears installed and start banging the rev limiter, or just generally having shifting issues.

And on that note, I'm leaving your threads now. Good luck

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Don't 4.10's make the wheel spin faster than the stock gears? Like say at 2000 RPM the 4.10's would have the wheels spinning faster than the 2.73 or whatever comes stock...
So even if the gears did affect the rev limiter or whatever, the 4.10's have the opposite affect than what you're saying. At 50 MPH the engine isn't working as hard with 4.10's in as the 2.73's.
Yes it takes long to go 0-60 with 4.10s compared to the 2.73's but I believe your top speed would be greater, assuming you don't have anything on the car to stop it at 150.

I have no experience in gears and in not telling you you're wrong. But this is my understanding and I honestly can't wrap my mind around what you're saying.

It's almost like this:
Oh I have 16" rims stock, so when I slap on 22" rims I need a tune

Obviously no one here is putting 22"a on their car but it's the same thing no? Different gear ratios affect the car similar to different wheel sizes.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Don't 4.10's make the wheel spin faster than the stock gears? Like say at 2000 RPM the 4.10's would have the wheels spinning faster than the 2.73 or whatever comes stock...
So even if the gears did affect the rev limiter or whatever, the 4.10's have the opposite affect than what you're saying. At 50 MPH the engine isn't working as hard with 4.10's in as the 2.73's.
Yes it takes long to go 0-60 with 4.10s compared to the 2.73's but I believe your top speed would be greater, assuming you don't have anything on the car to stop it at 150.

I have no experience in gears and in not telling you you're wrong. But this is my understanding and I honestly can't wrap my mind around what you're saying.

It's almost like this:
Oh I have 16" rims stock, so when I slap on 22" rims I need a tune

Obviously no one here is putting 22"a on their car but it's the same thing no? Different gear ratios affect the car similar to different wheel sizes.

His car is an automatic. The AODE is computer controlled. The PCM controls the shift points, which are going to be affected by the gears as the car will climb faster through the RPM range, thus why a tune would be beneficial.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online