4.6 2v out of Lincoln from 94-95 going into a 98 GT, can I pi swap it??

John1998

Reaction score
I got a 4.6 2v out of either a crown Vic or Lincoln it’s pre 96 because it has 4 cross bolt manes instead of 5, is there any other differences that would make it not work such as timing cover? I got all the timing cover components such as tensioners and pulleys for a 1998 it looks like they’d fit I got the thing for a hundered bucks so I couldn’t pass it up I just want to know if someone else PI swapped a 4.6 2v this old lol and it’s going to be a 5 speed manual (T-45)
Thanks, John

apsmith49921

Reaction score
If I remember they are the exact same head except differences in the ports which is what makes more power. I do know there is something pertaining to valve covers however

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

John1998

Reaction score
If I remember they are the exact same head except differences in the ports which is what makes more power. I do know there is something pertaining to valve covers however

Yeah, I figured the heads would be ok to swap its just the block itself I don't think ive seen anyone PI swap an older 4.6 and I thought it would be because the older versions of them are different than the post 1995 ones. Like there being a provision for the Pilot bearing in the crank or the front timing cover bolt pattern being slightly different. Small stupid stuff like that. I'd hate to build this thing then I go to put the pilot bearing in and can't because there is no hole for it because all pre 96 motors are only made for automatics or something like that. Thanks for reply, John.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Yeah they could have some differences in minor things. If anyone else isn't able to explain or confirm some stuff maybe try a crown vic or a Thunderbird forum. I'm sure those guys have done this

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online