4.6 DOHC OIL CAPACITY QUESTION.

IMPORTKILLER

Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure exactly how much oil a 1996-1998 cobra should take ? I always put in 6.5 qts. 6 for the oil pan/ .5 for the filter ?
Is this correct ? I cannot seem to ever get 2-people to answer this question the same . Also does anyone make a better dipstick than the stupid stock one. It never reads the same. I always get a dif read on it. I depend on my oil pressure gauge to set me straight. One last thing what is up with that stupid LOW OIL light that does not shut off even right after I have changed my own oil and I am on a level surface ?? I just want that light to go away .HELP !!!

M.O.E

Reaction score
6.5 qts. I have no idea where to get a new dip stick. Should get that light looked at.

thorco3

Reaction score
6 quarts should be the fill max.

thats what the shop manuals should read... i've been :drunk: though so i could be a lil off I will check for ya in the morning.

M.O.E

Reaction score
These motor's need a little more than 6!! I put about 6.5 to 7 :thumb:

OP
OP
I

IMPORTKILLER

Reaction score
This is what I am talking about . Some say 6,some say 6.5 some say 6.5- 7. I have even heard that the shop manual is wrong. That cant be true.Can it ? Thanks for your comments. It really bothers me . I need to get some closure on this B-4 I go to a shrink. :D :dunno: :( :eek: :noes: :-[ :-\

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
6.5 I just changed mine last week. I always put in 6.5. I hate having 1/2 a quart left over. It is annoying as hell to me.

Can't help you with the dipstick.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I use 6 even...2V & 4V have same pan

For the dipstick check out Lokar...I bought one at Sumit for @$40 and its flexible and looks better.

Goindeafonmtx

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
I use 6 even...2V & 4V have same pan

For the dipstick check out Lokar...I bought one at Sumit for @$40 and its flexible and looks better.
Pics?

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Ford made a dumb mistake. Each vehicle, cobra or gt is different. It ranges from 5 qts to 7 qts. personally I would put in 6 then check and fill. This is actually all mod motors this was done on. I've only seen a hand full take 5qts.

Reaction score
Screw the owners manual, put 6-7 quarts everytime. I've seen to many spun bearings with no oil. The heads themselves can hold like 1.5 quarts then about another quart in lines, so that leaves only about 4 quarts in the pan. Put 6.5 everytime.

Slow95Cobra

Reaction score
+1... if you dont drive the car hard (road course autocross dragracing) id put 6 or a tick more, but if you do beat on it a lil.. put 7.. it shouldnt hurt. and the book says 6 qts.

01SportChic

Reaction score
If anything I would go by what the owner's manual says - 6. But I usually put about 5.5 in my car...It puts it right to the max level mark. Personally, I think 7 is way too much of an overfill. :shrug:

jys97cobra

Reaction score
I PUT AROUND 6.5 THEN ABOUT .5 MORE SINCE I GOT THE BLOWER. DO YOU GUYS USE REGULAR OR SYNTHETIC OIL IS WHAT I WANT TO KNOW?