4.6 Into a Foxbody

lutter94

Reaction score
OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
I do have a donor car. It's got a built 4.6, 5-speed, 3:73rear. As far as the interior, the seats, console, dash will work. I would have to install the 96 wire harness and accessories, computer and the like. It would be a butt load amount of work. Still mulling it over

Thanks for the response
Jim

neverenuff

Reaction score
Looking forward to this! It has been done numerous times with great results. Check out the Mach 1 fox.
8f4804e45501b0f757fb58e9ae79cfd1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thomas_W

Reaction score
K member and all interior (except door panels) fits in a fox. If i were to do it, i would go with a Holley or other stand alone ECU. It'll be a simple setup and a cleaner install. Depending on the trans, you may or may not need a new/custom driveshaft.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Well, I think I'm going to take the plunge on this. If all goes well I will have the 4-eye next weekend. Then I plan to gut the 86, pull the motor, trans, k member, etc. once I get all that done I'll start transferring the 96 parts to the 86

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
I need some of those who have done similar projects to share their wealth of knowledge with one who is lacking. I sit at the knee of the Master, so to speak. I've searched and Googled and get conflicting information. Specifically,
1. Since my Team Z k-member is a 96+, it should fit the 86. 94-95 not so much
2. Will the rear seat and center console cross over?
3. Will the two-speed fan from the 96 work with the 86 radiator?
4. I understand the 96 rear is 1.75" longer than the 86. I want to keep 4wheel disc brakes. If I get Ranger axles can I use the mounting hardware from the 96 to mount the calipers?
5. I will use the computer and dash from the 96 so I can keep it injected. Are the heater, ac evaporator and blower motor the same? I'll basically retire the whole car. Time consuming, but I've done other cars and haven't had any issues
6. The front suspension is difficult to sort through. I'd like to use the 96 a-arms and spindles. Is this doable of do I need to use the 86 a-arms? It seems the a-arms or spindles or something is longer, but MM said on their page it's okay if their k-member is used. I would think that would apply to any aftermarket k-member.
7. Will the steering rack from the 96 work? I'm going to use the hydro boost for the 86. Seems I'll need the clearance for the brake booster

if anyone can help with these questions, or something I might have missed I'd really appreciate it. Even though there might be some easier ways to do things, I think the plan I have will work best, even though some things might get involved.

TIA
Jim

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
I gotta say I'm a bit hinky about this. I don't want my car down for months while trying to figure out issues that pop up. I could really use others expertise. I've converted an 84 Fiero 4 banger to a v6, which meant a complete rewiring. That's one where I got a big surprise. I found out after I started that there were no v6 1954 Fieros. I put a j-spec engine and trans into my sons Accura. He neglected to tell me he was going from an auto to a manual trans. Another complete rewire. I took my other sons wrecked 5 liter drive train and put it into a 4 banger Mustang (another complete rewire). So, I've got some abilities, but trying to get all this sorted out beforehand has proven to be tough. It seems for some their opinions are the same as fact, which really balls things up. I've seen some Foxbody cars with camera in them, I just can't sort through the reams of information available to get what I need.

so, any help would be greatly appreciated

Jim

Nighttrain

Reaction score
I can try to help research some of this for you in my spare time but........why couldnt you swap the rear from the 96 into it. Still might need a custom length driveshaft. All the wiring from the 96, i couldnt tell you about the back seat. Im gonna say get your tape measure out. Front interior should swap over. Might need custom seat brackets. If i remember correctly dash and everything should swap. Door panels wont of coarse. Ill dig into the tech stuff and let you know what i find.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
I appreciate it. I found a site, modularfoxes.com that has a lot of information. Most of the swaps don't have a lot of specifics, though.m

Thanks
Jim

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Probably a great site! Be sure to keep us informed here as well. Do a build thread??? Watching creations come to life is fun!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ill find a link to the guy that built an awesome mod fox over on the corral.

Aside from that, the fox a-arms are shorter so with the longer ones, the wheels will stick out some. You can use your k-member because they all bolt to the car the same way, just the engine mounts are different. For steering and braking, you will need to move ALL of the components from the 96 into the fox. The fox will get the hydroboost, itll already have the sn column and steering shaft and since the rack bolts to the k member then thatll be in the fox too. You might have to get fox specific caster camber plates (Im not too sure about that). Youll need to move ALL the electronics to the fox if you want to keep it all the same as the 96. Not a hard job just a bunch of work. Your current rear end will bolt up in the fox and youll get to keep your brakes. Basically you will have a shell of an sn95 and all the good stuff in the fox.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Yup, what he said!

backseat wont move over due to the lack of SN95 interior pieces in the Fox. There will be some wiring to integrate the Fox head/tail/door wiring in with the SN95 wiring.

I believe all of the Hvac box stuff swaps over, as does the AC setup (you'll need to change condensers). The Radiator i've seen people use the SN95 radiator from the 4.6 and make custom mounts or buy an aftermarket rad and fan assembly.

If you dont want to swap to hydroboost, you'll have to go to manual steering and brakes.

If this is to be a daily driver, i wouldnt suggest it as it is a fairly involved swap and takes awhile to get everything setup to make it reliable IMO. To ease that headache, a standalone Ecu could be used which will eleviate Almost all of the sn95/fox wiring integration, get rid of PATS problems and allow you to integrate the fox fuel system to the modular motor a little easier.

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
I'll just say this.

While it is possible, and has been done. It's fairly involved and takes time. The interior/wiring part anyways.

I know of 2 locally that have been done, and it's never as easy as you think.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Awesome information, y'all. I know it's a j.o.b.! I've done similar work on (of all things) an 84 Fiero. Wanted a v6, and found out later that they never put a v6 into an 84. Had to wire the car front to back. I installed an 04 dash and wiring into my 96, so I can handle the wiring. I plan to use the 96 harness front to back. I'm glad my 96 has the Cobra brakes and tubular k-member. It should make things easier. I'll post things up in the projects section, but it will be a while. I have to locate the right 4eye

Thanks to all

Jim

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Let the man have his 15 minutes of anonymity. :)

I have a set of Bulitt wheels, 9.5 in front and 10.5 in back. They work well with the Cobra brakes. How well would they fit on a Foxbody? I assume they won't work at all if I used the 96 rear or front a-arms

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online