4.6 motor questions

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing my transmission and I have just removed the back plate to change out the rear main seal when I look at the motor and I find two things wrong. First I am missing two bolts to a bracket and I am not sure what size they are and second it looks like the freeze plug in the middle is missing. I check and there is a hole there were it looks like a freeze plug goes. Any idea what size that plug is if its brass metal or even rubber any and all help would be great hoping to get the trans in this weekend so I can drive my again. Sorry unsure how to add pics

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Freeze plug missing? If a freeze plug was missing, they would be antifreeze everywhere or gone and thats what you would be fixing. Can you take a few pictures?

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
motor4_zpsruorq9cr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
motor2_zpso83zro1a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
motor3_zps9pcswh14.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick tutorial on how to post pics. My main concern is the one that looks like a freeze plug is missing it is directly in the back middle of the motor right above the rear main seal plate. Thanks again

chris91

Reaction score
No problem! You're fine on that hole. There isn't a freeze out plug there, it goes into the valley. Not sure what that bracket goes to, been too long since I had mine apart.

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
Ok thanks I was concerned because it seems this car has been pieced together with different parts trying to put it together correctly. Thanks again

1bad95

Reaction score
Bracket looks like it is the npi heater hose pipe that runs under the intake from the back of the water pump.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
Bracket looks like it is the npi heater hose pipe that runs under the intake from the back of the water pump.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

+1 are you not leaking? IF not that's a miracle.. That's crazy to me. With the outward flow of coolant one would think it would push that tube backwards off the water pump nipple.

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
There are no leaks at all. The temp is normal. Got most of it fixed this car was just butchered and pieced back together redoing everything now. Hopefully going to install the transmission this weekend. Looking at pulling the motor this winter to rebuild or replace then I will know everything is correct.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online